Author Topic: Dessert wars  (Read 18662 times)

Luci

• Super Hero!
Re: Dessert wars
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2013, 05:06:20 PM »
I'm sure, you know, that we could all make much better judged comments if we knew more about - and had a recipe for - this Cake. Well, I could.

I don't actually have the recipe... but I can ask Tina for it.  I know that it has about 16 eggs in it...

It is a lot like a sponge cake, only much richer and denser then any other sponge cake I have ever had, and Tina usually tops it with a powdered sugar/lemon juice glaze.  It is totally delicious.

It's sort of like the mentioning kittens rule, isn't it: If kittens are mentioned, pictures must be posted.
                                                                          If special food is mentioned, recipes must be posted.  NEW RULE!

I promise not to mess with the recipe (insert Smilie with hand raised swearing).  Thank you - and Tina.

SoCalVal

« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2013, 05:06:42 PM »
I'm sure, you know, that we could all make much better judged comments if we knew more about - and had a recipe for - this Cake. Well, I could.

I don't actually have the recipe... but I can ask Tina for it.  I know that it has about 16 eggs in it...

It is a lot like a sponge cake, only much richer and denser then any other sponge cake I have ever had, and Tina usually tops it with a powdered sugar/lemon juice glaze.  It is totally delicious.

I don't suppose there's any way for someone to ask TOM to make a GF, vegan version of this cake...? (he might better understand what he's insisting upon, exactly, if he had to figure it out then execute it)

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2013, 05:23:25 PM »
I don't suppose there's any way for someone to ask TOM to make a GF, vegan version of this cake...? (he might better understand what he's insisting upon, exactly, if he had to figure it out then execute it)

Did she say 16 eggs? Good luck, Tom!

SoCalVal

« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2013, 05:41:32 PM »

Exactly!

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2013, 05:50:49 PM »

Exactly!

Well there's vegan egg replacer, but I think the max I would sub in a recipe is maybe 2-3 eggs.  I'd LOVE to here about him trying to make the cake GF, Vegan, dairy free and it turning out a spectacular mess, because it will if the person doing it is not well versed in baking substitutions. 

Personally, I think Tom needs to get over himself.  IF he were the GOH, I'd think his complaint was valid.  However, Tina has given him a perfectly reasonable alternative cupcake and it's not her problem that he doesn't like that option. I think he just REALLY wants some of The Cake and is afraid he will cave if it is there in front of him.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

LeveeWoman

« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2013, 05:52:18 PM »

Exggsactly!

sweetonsno

« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2013, 06:13:35 PM »
I dunno… I kind of feel for Tom on this one. It sounds like The Cake is a pretty big deal and that it is a central part of the celebration. Yes, you technically are supposed to go to a party for the company and not the comestibles, but I can see why he might feel a bit unwelcome if this has become a "come over for The Cake" event and he can't participate in that part. Tom was in the wrong for asking her to totally change the menu, but Tina shouldn't have been so grudging about offering an alternative. If she really wasn't willing to, she should have just said, "Sorry, Tom, but I'm going to serve The Cake. I'm afraid I don't know much of anything about vegan baking, but it's fine if you want to bring something."

I guess I see it sort of like inviting a teetotaler to a whiskey or wine-tasting party and then grumbling about making sure that you have soda or juice or some other non-alcoholic beverage. Yes, it's their choice to not consume alcohol. No, you don't have to cut alcohol from the menu. However, I guess it comes across as slightly inhospitable, like, "Hey, wanna watch us do something awesome? No, I wasn't planning on having a related activity that you could partake in, why do you ask?"

To repeat: I do not think that Tina needs to not have the cake, nor do I think that Tom should have asked her to completely cut it from the menu. I simply think it was ungracious of her to make a big deal out of providing an alternative. Much better to leave it at, "I'm sorry, that won't be possible."

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2013, 06:24:58 PM »
But Tina will have things he can eat.  Tom is the one focusing on the cake.  He's not going to starve if he attends.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2013, 07:01:25 PM »
I dunno… I kind of feel for Tom on this one. It sounds like The Cake is a pretty big deal and that it is a central part of the celebration. Yes, you technically are supposed to go to a party for the company and not the comestibles, but I can see why he might feel a bit unwelcome if this has become a "come over for The Cake" event and he can't participate in that part. Tom was in the wrong for asking her to totally change the menu, but Tina shouldn't have been so grudging about offering an alternative. If she really wasn't willing to, she should have just said, "Sorry, Tom, but I'm going to serve The Cake. I'm afraid I don't know much of anything about vegan baking, but it's fine if you want to bring something."

I guess I see it sort of like inviting a teetotaler to a whiskey or wine-tasting party and then grumbling about making sure that you have soda or juice or some other non-alcoholic beverage. Yes, it's their choice to not consume alcohol. No, you don't have to cut alcohol from the menu. However, I guess it comes across as slightly inhospitable, like, "Hey, wanna watch us do something awesome? No, I wasn't planning on having a related activity that you could partake in, why do you ask?"

To repeat: I do not think that Tina needs to not have the cake, nor do I think that Tom should have asked her to completely cut it from the menu. I simply think it was ungracious of her to make a big deal out of providing an alternative. Much better to leave it at, "I'm sorry, that won't be possible."

Maybe I missed it, but I don't see Tina making a big deal out of offering to get him a dessert he could eat. As far as the comparison between her party and a wine-tasting party, it's not as if there will be only cake at her party because she's providing a lot of other food.

FoxPaws

• Super Hero!
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2013, 07:16:09 PM »
Maybe I missed it, but I don't see Tina making a big deal out of offering to get him a dessert he could eat. As far as the comparison between her party and a wine-tasting party, it's not as if there will be only cake at her party because she's providing a lot of other food.
Post #11 on the first page...the OP says that Tina made the cupcake offer somewhat grudgingly.
I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady

LeveeWoman

« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2013, 07:59:41 PM »
Post #11 on the first page...the OP says that Tina made the cupcake offer somewhat grudgingly.

Thanks! I don't know how I missed that bit.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2013, 09:03:14 PM »

But the OP said there would be other dessert offerings that Tom could eat, just not cake. After badgering it sounds like Tina said, "Fine if you demand cake, I'll get you a freekin cupcake."

I think the real parallel would be inviting guests to a dinner with wine pairings and you planned to offer the teetotaler iced tea. But teetotaler demands that you serve alcohol free wine to everyone because he can't drink the planned wine.

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2013, 09:45:42 PM »

But the OP said there would be other dessert offerings that Tom could eat, just not cake. After badgering it sounds like Tina said, "Fine if you demand cake, I'll get you a freekin cupcake."

I think the real parallel would be inviting guests to a dinner with wine pairings and you planned to offer the teetotaler iced tea. But teetotaler demands that you serve alcohol free wine to everyone because he can't drink the planned wine.

Yeah, this is basically how I took it. If someone had a certain food that I couldn't eat at a party, but most/almost all of the food I could, I would shut my mouth and deal with it. It's Tina's birthday, and I don't think she should be forced to make her cake vegan and gluten-free. I personally wouldn't want to put in that kind of time either, because that's a lot of potential tinkering that could end in disaster if one is not well-versed in altering recipes to that degree.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2013, 09:52:01 PM »
Now I have an earworm singing "o/` It's my party and I'll make & serve the Cake if I want to o/`".  Over and over again.  And I want cake...

Seriously - if the recipe was changed to make it a vegan & gluten-free version of The Cake, it would not be the much loved and awaited family recipe.  If making The Cake and serving it at the birthday bash that Tina pays for and organizes for herself and her friends & family is what she wants to do to celebrate her birthday and nobody is being asked to pay for a ticket to the shindig - then she can make & serve whatever she wants to.

If she is willing to add a vegan GF alternative for her cousin & almost-brother - then she wants him there, if he can bring himself to recognize that it is HER party and she gets to cook & serve what she wants to.

Now - about this recipe...16 eggs, you say?  I just happen to have that many in the fridge right now (long story involving VorGuy having a brilliant idea - no, this is not quite the equivalent of anyone saying "hold my beer" and then doing something dumb) but it is going to mean that I need to do some serious cooking for a few days.  Fortunately, if the recipe shows up, I have a large group of teenagers that VorGuy teaches who can be counted on to throw themselves on the uneaten dessert before it causes any problems.

I can't think of any vegan substitute for 16 eggs...

If the recipe doesn't show up - cookie dough can be made and frozen - then passed along to various family members at Christmas - baked or not, I've had family members demolishing my cookies for decades. 
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 11:27:08 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2013, 10:10:06 PM »

So Tom can't have the cake because of a voluntary change in his eating habits (as these issues have cropped up only since becoming vegan) so he is demanding that no-one at the party have the cake. Even though there is plenty of stuff that he can eat, and the host has offered to provide a special dessert just for him, in addition to everything else?

I vote for brat, and if I were Tina, I'd be pretty annoyed with Tom right now myself.

Personally, I'd go for handing Tom the recipe, and asking him to provide a gluten free, vegan version for the party, to share.  It will be a disaster, because egg substitute for a recipe with 16 eggs is not a good idea.