Author Topic: Dessert wars  (Read 18264 times)

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
Re: Dessert wars
« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2013, 12:15:15 PM »
Tom is being a very SS. About 6 wks ago I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes. It's controllable, no insulin shots needed, but I have a very restricted diet. I cut out about 95% of the sugar, as well as other limitations. I have to deal. I have been to parties where there was cake. I LOVE cake! But my health matters more. No host is obligated to alter the food to accomodate my issues.

Note: there is a bright side to this. I have lost about 10 lbs. so far.  :)

magicdomino

« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2013, 12:36:18 PM »
I guess I see it sort of like inviting a teetotaler to a whiskey or wine-tasting party and then grumbling about making sure that you have soda or juice or some other non-alcoholic beverage. Yes, it's their choice to not consume alcohol. No, you don't have to cut alcohol from the menu. However, I guess it comes across as slightly inhospitable, like, "Hey, wanna watch us do something awesome? No, I wasn't planning on having a related activity that you could partake in, why do you ask?"

In your tee-totaller example, If I have a martini party every year, and one of my friends who always comes and drinks martinis, decides he wants to cut alcohol out of his diet, does he really have a leg to stand on if he demands I now serve only virgin martinis at my party? Sorry, but no.

This is especially true if your martini party has always had coffee, sodas, and chilled water.  I suspect virgin martinis are about as practical as a vegan 16 egg cake.   

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #77 on: November 12, 2013, 04:10:40 PM »
Why do I want to introduce Tom to Claire from The Brunch Guest thread?

Is it to see what happens when the immovable object and the irresistible force collide? 

Wanders off looking innocently up in the air and whistling - because I know at least a few of you were wishing that you could do the same thing, right?
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #78 on: November 12, 2013, 04:23:23 PM »
I wouldn't want to be one of the people who has to deal with that pair, but I would soooo love to hear the stories.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #79 on: November 12, 2013, 07:07:25 PM »

Is it to see what happens when the immovable object and the irresistible force collide? 

Wanders off looking innocently up in the air and whistling - because I know at least a few of you were wishing that you could do the same thing, right?

I feel that would be more like the Eminem line, "Maybe that's what happens when a tornado meets a volcano".

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #80 on: November 12, 2013, 07:30:22 PM »

I feel that would be more like the Eminem line, "Maybe that's what happens when a tornado meets a volcano".

you forgot sharks

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #81 on: November 12, 2013, 08:39:02 PM »

you forgot sharks

We Shadows (comic) has a character who was born when a whirlwind god got tangled with a crystal mine - http://weshadows.com/2013/08/29/ - I think a tornado and a crystal mine have much more interesting interactions.

But I've been told that I'm a bit odd.  In a nice way.  But still a bit odd.

A tornado with spinning crystals would be rather abrasive - much like both Claire and Tom have been in their documented appearances!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #82 on: November 12, 2013, 08:50:50 PM »
Tom is a 100% in the wrong, self centred, bore.

I can see no reason whatsoever for anyone to have a beef with Tina. She's done absolutely nothing wrong.

Tom has chosen to restrict his diet, ergo he has made a choice not to be able to indulge in The Cake.

I can't tell you how many times I've attended an event and not been able to partake in the dessert, either through my own food choices, or because it literally made me sick to my stomach to even think about eating it if it falls into one particular food group. And you know what? I just get on with things. I don't complain, I don't demand other people go without because I am; I act like a mature adult and realise the world doesn't revolve around me. Tom needs to grow up.

I'mnotinsane

• My mother had me tested
« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2013, 10:53:11 PM »
Is the great-grandmother who passed down this recipe one of their shared great-grandmothers? If so I can understand Tom's frustration a little more.  I do not agree with his view or condone his actions though.  If this is his motivation he can try to create a vegan version of The Cake.

SoCalVal

« Reply #84 on: November 12, 2013, 11:35:05 PM »
...ToxicSis also recently became a vegan -- organic only, as well...

Ummm... Does she not know that most organic operations use manure as fertilizer?  That's not exactly vegan...

(((holding both hands over face to stifle giggles because the cat will look at me like I'm crazy if I fall out of the chair & roll on the floor laughing)))

Glad to be of service.   ;)

If I thought it would get through the brick wall that is her head, I would venture mentioning that (thank you for the info!).  This is someone who had a fit when she made a nasty aghast post on my FB wall about how marshmallows are made from gelatin which is made from animals and so they are not vegan (I had made an innocuous post about enjoying mini-marshmallows in my cocoa).  I replied that I'd known for over 20 years that gelatin is not vegan; didn't she?  She, apparently, did not care for that (I guess I was supposed to concede her born-again vegan knowledge superiority).

YummyMummy66

« Reply #85 on: November 13, 2013, 09:15:17 AM »
I don't know why you want to shake them both.  I see Tina doing no wrong in this situation.  She makes a cake and has a party that she has had for years now.   She offers plenty to eat for all of her guests from a varied menu. 

Tom is being a jerk.   Tina offered to get him a cupcake from a bakery with his dietary restrictions.  She has other items on the menu that Tom can eat.  He wants none of that.  He wants Tina to change her grandmother's cake recipe, (a tradition that Tina has made for a few years now), to fit his dietary needs.  What if the cake then does not meet another guest's needs?
This is not about Tom's diet.  This is about what Tom wants.

Personally, if I was Tina, I would be telling Tom, look this is it.  At this time, I am not even going to offer to get you that darn cupcake.  If my annual party is so much of a problem for you, stay home. 

123sandy

« Reply #86 on: November 13, 2013, 09:19:19 AM »
I think Tom is being selfish. There are other things that he can eat, Tina has offered to buy cupcakes that suit his dietary needs/wants but still he thinks she should change her birthday cake? The one she treats herself to once a year? Her Grandmothers recipe?

Sorry Tom, the answer has to be a resounding no!

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #87 on: November 13, 2013, 09:21:38 AM »
I guess I see it sort of like inviting a teetotaler to a whiskey or wine-tasting party and then grumbling about making sure that you have soda or juice or some other non-alcoholic beverage. Yes, it's their choice to not consume alcohol. No, you don't have to cut alcohol from the menu. However, I guess it comes across as slightly inhospitable, like, "Hey, wanna watch us do something awesome? No, I wasn't planning on having a related activity that you could partake in, why do you ask?"

In your tee-totaller example, If I have a martini party every year, and one of my friends who always comes and drinks martinis, decides he wants to cut alcohol out of his diet, does he really have a leg to stand on if he demands I now serve only virgin martinis at my party? Sorry, but no.

This is especially true if your martini party has always had coffee, sodas, and chilled water.  I suspect virgin martinis are about as practical as a vegan 16 egg cake.

Since the classic martini is vodka/gin and vermouth with an olive, you could have an olive. Or a virgin dirty martini- olive juice and an olive.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 09:26:53 AM by Winterlight »
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #88 on: November 13, 2013, 11:11:48 AM »
Tom is a real jerk, big baby, spoiled brat!  And I truly hope this is not her SO.

Totally on Team Tina! 

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #89 on: November 13, 2013, 12:09:08 PM »
And I have to ask, what's the cake? Curious minds want to know!