Author Topic: Dessert wars  (Read 19840 times)

Nikko-chan

Re: Dessert wars
« Reply #90 on: November 13, 2013, 12:49:38 PM »
And I have to ask, what's the cake? Curious minds want to know!

I was wondering that myself... OP you think you can get the recipe?

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #91 on: November 13, 2013, 01:27:38 PM »

I dont' even care if your friend doesn't want to share the recipe. I just want to know what type of cake it is.

Arila

« Reply #92 on: November 13, 2013, 03:56:19 PM »

I dont' even care if your friend doesn't want to share the recipe. I just want to know what type of cake it is.

It's a few pages back:

It is a lot like a sponge cake, only much richer and denser then any other sponge cake I have ever had, and Tina usually tops it with a powdered sugar/lemon juice glaze.  It is totally delicious.

Since I consider many foods mere vehicles for lemon juice, I am REALLY interested in this cake recipe.

magicdomino

« Reply #93 on: November 13, 2013, 04:38:24 PM »
Do any of the vegan substitutes for eggs whip up into fluff?  Most high-egg cakes call for the egg whites to be separated and whipped until stiff.  That provides the lift for the cake, since mere yeast and baking powder are helpless against that many eggs in a normal-sized cake.  The description of the cake as a "sponge cake, only richer and denser" applies since sponge cakes contain whipped whites. 

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #94 on: November 13, 2013, 06:09:26 PM »
My take on this is that the birthday person gets to choose the cake. If you can't have your favorite cake on your birthday, when can you have it?

Tina offered Tom a special cupcake. He rejected her compromise. Maybe, just maybe, Tina should have offered the cupcake sooner, or with less grumbling, but I doubt that would have changed Tom's response. And I really can't blame Tina, as she had already planned to have other desserts available. It's not as if The Cake is going to be the only dessert.

Is Tom perhaps afraid that the deliciousness of The Cake will tempt him to break his new-found dietary rules?

And if Tina were to bow to Tom's demands, how will she placate the other guests, who are probably drooling already at the thought of eating The Cake?
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

MyFamily

« Reply #95 on: November 14, 2013, 02:56:23 PM »
Do any of the vegan substitutes for eggs whip up into fluff?  Most high-egg cakes call for the egg whites to be separated and whipped until stiff.  That provides the lift for the cake, since mere yeast and baking powder are helpless against that many eggs in a normal-sized cake.  The description of the cake as a "sponge cake, only richer and denser" applies since sponge cakes contain whipped whites.

No.  Mom of an egg-allergy kid here - when you have an egg-allergy there are just simply some recipes that you absolutely cannot modify...

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

BarensMom

« Reply #96 on: November 14, 2013, 02:58:17 PM »
I tried to google it, but only came up with a 12-egg pound cake.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #97 on: November 14, 2013, 05:05:56 PM »
Since I consider many foods mere vehicles for lemon juice, I am REALLY interested in this cake recipe.

I think you and I are going to be good friends....  8)
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

sweetonsno

« Reply #98 on: November 14, 2013, 05:49:10 PM »

I found a 16-egg lemon sponge cake. It looks intense.

http://lostcookbook.wordpress.com/2013/06/26/lemon-cake/

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #99 on: November 14, 2013, 08:24:59 PM »
I found a vegan sponge cake recipe, but it's totally different than regular sponge cake and really didn't sound so good.

If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

LeveeWoman

« Reply #100 on: November 14, 2013, 09:41:08 PM »

I found a 16-egg lemon sponge cake. It looks intense.

http://lostcookbook.wordpress.com/2013/06/26/lemon-cake/

As the only raising agents in the recipe, the eggs needed to be whisked with sugar for an hour to incorporate sufficient air into the cake mix.

I bet homemakers didn't need to belong to a gym back then.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #101 on: November 14, 2013, 10:10:50 PM »
I found a vegan sponge cake recipe, but it's totally different than regular sponge cake and really didn't sound so good.

I went and googled that out of curiosity.

Traditional egg heavy sponge cake - 16 egg yolks, sugar, water, flour, baking powder, salt, vanilla, lemon extract.

Vegan sponge cake - sweetened soy milk, cider vinegar, flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, vegetable oil, vanilla extract.

The only ingredients they have in common are flour, sugar, baking powder and vanilla extract, which are in a significant fraction of baked desserts, while the method for preparation vary so much that the only common factor is that it is baked.

cheyne

« Reply #102 on: November 15, 2013, 10:17:09 AM »
Let's not forget that Tom is also gluten free.  So the wheat flour is right out...

DavidH

« Reply #103 on: November 15, 2013, 03:54:10 PM »
In my experience, the key to good dishes incorporating dietary restrictions is to find dishes that don't require the ingredient to be avoided in the first place.  The more key the ingredient is to the dish, the less successful the substitution.  For example, a vegan or vegetarian roast beef is likely to be a major challenge, but converting a traditional vegetable soup recipe to either vegetarian by substituting vegetable for chicken stock or vegan is likely to produce a successful dish.

A vegan, gluten free cake just seems like an impossibility.  It would seem a better plan to make the cake, but also make a dessert more compatible with his dietary restrictions, may be something centered around fruit rather than wheat and eggs.

magicdomino

« Reply #104 on: November 15, 2013, 04:15:58 PM »

A vegan, gluten free cake just seems like an impossibility.  It would seem a better plan to make the cake, but also make a dessert more compatible with his dietary restrictions, may be something centered around fruit rather than wheat and eggs.

Oh, it can and has been done.  Some of the torte-like flourless cakes come to mind. But it won't be an angel food or sponge cake.