Author Topic: Dessert wars  (Read 18749 times)

jmarvellous

Re: Dessert wars
« Reply #105 on: November 15, 2013, 04:17:22 PM »
There are 166k results on Google for "'vegan and gluten free' cake recipe" and 435k for "'gluten free vegan' cake recipe" so I'm pretty sure it can be and has been done. :)

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #106 on: November 15, 2013, 04:37:25 PM »
There are 166k results on Google for "'vegan and gluten free' cake recipe" and 435k for "'gluten free vegan' cake recipe" so I'm pretty sure it can be and has been done. :)

Probably none of them resemble The Cake, though.

Let's not forget that Tom is also gluten free.  So the wheat flour is right out...

He was willing to eat the cake when he was *not* vegan, though.

DavidH

« Reply #107 on: November 15, 2013, 04:45:30 PM »
I am amazed, it just seems like everything you'd want to use would be on the avoid list.  Do they come out like a typical cake or is it something different?

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #108 on: November 15, 2013, 05:02:50 PM »
My husband made a great cake with almond flour rather than wheat flour once, but I doubt it was vegan. It was, however, delicious.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

secretrebel

« Reply #109 on: November 18, 2013, 08:43:10 AM »
I have the MOST AMAZING recipe for MiddleEastern chocolate cake which is gluten free.

However, although I'd offer the recipe to Tom so he could contribute to the party, I wouldn't expect Tina to change her special cake to accommodate him.

MindsEye

« Reply #110 on: November 18, 2013, 09:26:40 AM »
Update!

So, I finally managed to catch up with Tina (we met up for lunch on Saturday)...

Apparently Tom did not choose to go vegan voluntarily... his doctor told him to adopt a strict vegan diet to try and get some of his medical issues under control and also took him to task about his occasional baked goods "indulgence".  Tom also apparently has self-control problems... as in if he sees something that he really really wants to eat, he is gonna eat it, diet and admonishments from his doctor notwithstanding.  So rather then learning self-control and taking charge of his diet, Tom's solution is apparently to try to make sure that the most tempting forbidden fruits simply aren't there when he is, by whatever means necessary.  (Like by browbeating Tina over The Cake.)  Which is making him really obnoxious to be around.

Tina is also getting a lot of pressure from her family to indulge Tom "just this once" because "he is having such a hard time with this transition".  (Tom is the baby of the extended family, can you tell?)

Tina is sick of the whole situation and more then a little pissed off.  "I am not his keeper... his diet restrictions are not my problem."  She is also afraid that one indulgence will turn into a lifetime of expected indulgences and doesn't want that.

I reassured her that it is indeed her party and she can do what she wants to (just like that 80s song says) and that no one will think the less of her, whatever she decides to do.

As of yesterday Tina has decided to rescind the offer of the special (gluten free and vegan) cupcake because she thinks that there is no point in going out of her way like that for Tom if he isn't going to appreciate it.  And she is also going to rescind Tom's invitation and tell him to not come since it seems (from his behavior) that he will have a miserable time and try to make everyone else miserable as well.

She also gave me the recipe for The Cake, and here it is:

Cake ingredients:
16 eggs
1 tsp cream of tarter
1/4 tsp salt
1.5 cups granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla flavoring
1 cup cake flour

Glaze ingredients:
1 cup confectioners sugar
The juice of one lemon (fresh)

Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 350.

Separate the yolks and whites of all of the eggs. 

Sift 1 cup of sugar twice. 

Sift the cake flour and 1/2 cup of the sugar 3 times.

Beat the egg yolks until thick and creamy.

Beat the egg whites until frothy.  Beat in the cream of tarter and salt.  Continue to beat the egg whites until they are glossy and fine grained and will stand up in a sharp point. Gradually beat in the twice-sifted sugar, along with the vanilla.  Gently fold in the egg yolks. Gently fold in the thrice-sifted flour and sugar mixture.

Pour into a two-piece un-greased ring pan. 

Bake for an hour. 

Invert the pan to cool.

For the glaze combine the confectioners sugar and fresh lemon juice.  Add additional confectioners sugar or juice until the glaze is of a desired consistency.  After the cake has cooled and been removed from the pan, paint the sides and top of the cake with the glaze.

(The cake is delicious, but seems pretty finicky to actually make, so I don't think that I will be trying out this recipe myself anytime soon.)

So!  There you all go.  I will let you know what happens at the party, which is probably the next time that I will see Tina given the rapidly approaching Thanksgiving holidays.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2013, 10:32:50 AM »
This is one of the rare times when I think rescinding an invitation is correct.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2013, 10:38:50 AM »
I agree, rescinding in this case is fine. Whether or not Tom's newfound dietary restrictions are of his own doing, or, as is the case, his doctor's orders, he is still an adult, and its his responsiblity to eat, or not eat, things he should or shouldn't.

Good for Tina!  I say continue on with the party plans, don't cave to family pressure, and make the cake. So he's having trouble with the transition? Too bad. its not like "the cake" will be the only thing there to eat.

Speaking of cake, this whole thread reminds me of this:  Which makes me snicker every time i see it.  http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/10/god-of-cake.html

Shea

« Reply #113 on: November 18, 2013, 11:13:12 AM »
My husband made a great cake with almond flour rather than wheat flour once, but I doubt it was vegan. It was, however, delicious.

Torta de Santiago (Spanish almond cake) is flour and dairy free, I make it at Passover for that very reason. It's got eggs though, in the absence of a leavening agent the whipped egg whites make it rise. You can do a flourless chocolate cake the same way (also featured at Passover sometimes. Not traditional, but delicious!).

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #114 on: November 18, 2013, 12:01:58 PM »
... Tom's solution is apparently to try to make sure that the most tempting forbidden fruits simply aren't there when he is, by whatever means necessary. 
And she is also going to rescind Tom's invitation and tell him to not come since it seems...that he will have a miserable time

This is very logical.

And it's what she should say (note that I cut out the bit about making everyone else miserable) to all and sundry if they bring it up.

"Tom's having such a difficult time, and I don't want to put him in that position--it's unfair to him. So he doesn't need to feel pressured to come."

Also: re the vegan cupcake--it's still got fat and sugar in it, so it's not acceptable to his doctor either!
   no matter *what* she did with the dessert, it would have fat and sugar!

veryfluffy

« Reply #115 on: November 18, 2013, 02:04:11 PM »

(The cake is delicious, but seems pretty finicky to actually make, so I don't think that I will be trying out this recipe myself anytime soon.)

It's really not very complicated -- very like a standard American sponge cake recipe (eg from Joy of Baking) but with more eggs and fewer other ingredients,

For anyone gluten-free, BTW, the Joy of Baking American sponge cake recipe works absolutely fine with gluten-free flour.

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #116 on: November 18, 2013, 05:47:04 PM »
Good for Tina!  :)  I was so afraid that the next part of your post was going to say that Tina caved into Tim and the family's unacceptable behaviour, and was very pleasantly surprised she did the complete opposite.  :D

Firecat

« Reply #117 on: November 18, 2013, 08:49:44 PM »
I'm also on Team Tina. I understand that it's difficult for Tom, but that doesn't mean he gets to make his problem into Tina's problem.

I don't think this is just about The Cake for either of them. Based on the update, I think that this is more about the long-term pattern of The Reasonable One (Tina) being expected to keep giving in to keep the peace, because Tom will kick up a huge fuss if he doesn't get his way.

I don't blame Tina for being tired of it and deciding that this is going to be her Hill to Die On. It's Tina's birthday, after all, and I wouldn't be too pleased about being asked to give up something very special to me...on my birthday...at a party that I host and pay for...because Tom cannot or will not control himself well enough to eat something he knows is, at minimum, very bad for him.

So if I were Tina, I would rescind the invitation to Tom, because it's not fair to Tina or her other guests to risk Tom ruining the party. And if Tina then decides that she wants to set more boundaries with Tom and/or the rest of the family, I say "Good for her!" and "About time!"

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #118 on: November 19, 2013, 01:01:46 PM »
I'm also on Team Tina. I understand that it's difficult for Tom, but that doesn't mean he gets to make his problem into Tina's problem.

I don't think this is just about The Cake for either of them. Based on the update, I think that this is more about the long-term pattern of The Reasonable One (Tina) being expected to keep giving in to keep the peace, because Tom will kick up a huge fuss if he doesn't get his way.

. And if Tina then decides that she wants to set more boundaries with Tom and/or the rest of the family, I say "Good for her!" and "About time!"

Yes, i knew there was something rattling around in the back of my brain, and this was it. It really isn't about the cake, but the fact that I think Tina is sick and tired of catering to Tom or others. Her birthday, her house, her party, she gets the cake.

Mergatroyd

« Reply #119 on: November 20, 2013, 09:15:33 PM »
Right, so just so we're clear- Tom is a celiac and a doctor ordered vegan, who can't control what food goes in his mouth, so therefore everyone he knows must also become gluten free vegans? That just screams SS.

I am celiac, I cannot cheat, I get too sick. I used to be vegan, and to require a 16 egg recipe cake be changed because I won't eat it (and it isn't my birthday!) is beyond SS.

Furthermore, I would never EVER require anyone to make something GF "just" for me. I go to events knowing that I will not be able to partake, and will leave the room while said dessert is being served so people don't notice that I did not have a piece. If someone does notice and ask, I simply say that I'm sorry, I can't have it, but it does look delicious. (And yes, I too have gone into hysterics from pure hunger and need for cake. Never for long, and only in private, but it has happened. I think it is called "Hangry". There are some really good GF cakes, and even vegan ones, but you can't just modify any recipe and expect it to work.)

Bottom line, if he cannot control what does/does not go into his mouth, knowing what his doctor said, then he needs to stay home. It's not anyone else's problem.