Author Topic: Dessert wars  (Read 16950 times)

Nikko-chan

Re: Dessert wars
« Reply #120 on: November 21, 2013, 12:36:53 AM »
does The Cake need to be made in the special pan?

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #121 on: November 21, 2013, 11:46:47 AM »
I'm also on Team Tina. I understand that it's difficult for Tom, but that doesn't mean he gets to make his problem into Tina's problem.

I don't think this is just about The Cake for either of them. Based on the update, I think that this is more about the long-term pattern of The Reasonable One (Tina) being expected to keep giving in to keep the peace, because Tom will kick up a huge fuss if he doesn't get his way.

I don't blame Tina for being tired of it and deciding that this is going to be her Hill to Die On. It's Tina's birthday, after all, and I wouldn't be too pleased about being asked to give up something very special to me...on my birthday...at a party that I host and pay for...because Tom cannot or will not control himself well enough to eat something he knows is, at minimum, very bad for him.

So if I were Tina, I would rescind the invitation to Tom, because it's not fair to Tina or her other guests to risk Tom ruining the party. And if Tina then decides that she wants to set more boundaries with Tom and/or the rest of the family, I say "Good for her!" and "About time!"

Agreed. This isn't "Tom can't be in the same room as fried fish or he goes into anaphylactic shock." This is "Tom refuses to manage his own eating habits, expects that the rest of us will do it for him and demands I cater to him at my birthday party."
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

MindsEye

« Reply #122 on: November 21, 2013, 01:02:31 PM »

A two-piece ring pan.  Which I had to look up... here is a pretty good description - http://www.cooksinfo.com/tube-pans
You can get them all over the place, apparently they are pretty common.

HGolightly

« Reply #123 on: November 21, 2013, 01:46:41 PM »
I agree with most of you. I have a medically limited diet (i am limited to what I can physically eat or suffer) so dinner parties generally suck for me. I would rather hang out with my loved ones and bring something I can eat than sit at home and pout because the menu is not for me. I have a friend who has changed her lifestyle and diet by choice for health and goes on and on and on when she can't eat something. I admit it is a pet peeve when people go on or lambaste people over their dietary choices because when you can't change your diet....you live with it. What point is there to moan about what you cannot change.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #124 on: November 21, 2013, 01:54:23 PM »

A two-piece ring pan.  Which I had to look up... here is a pretty good description - http://www.cooksinfo.com/tube-pans
You can get them all over the place, apparently they are pretty common.

I had a springform pan (or cheesecake pan) in my mind and wasn't thinking about an angel foodcake pan.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Figgie

« Reply #125 on: November 21, 2013, 03:58:44 PM »
I made "the cake" yesterday.  I used my over-size two piece tube pan (that I normally use for angel food cakes) and my very large stand mixer.

The egg whites whipped up to almost over the top of the mixing bowl and the entire batter just barely fit into my tube pan.  I would make sure that what you mix it in, is an extra large bowl and that the tube pan is as big as you can find. 

I know that it would never have fit into a bundt pan and it is the kind of cake that needs to be sliced around to remove from the pan, as the pan isn't greased because the whites (like in an angel food cake) need to be able to "cling" to the sides of the pan to stay tall.

I was interested because it is a slightly different type of chiffon cake than I have made before.  I found out that the sifting is to super-fine the sugar and that it isn't a particularly difficult cake to make as long as you have a large enough tube pan and mixing bowl.

Hope that helps!

Arila

« Reply #126 on: November 21, 2013, 04:32:23 PM »
I'm kind of looking forward to trying this -- They made this sort of cake on the baking reality show (I can't remember the name, it was just "on" when I was in the room and I stopped to watch) a few months ago.

nayberry

« Reply #127 on: November 21, 2013, 05:14:05 PM »
Thanks figgie,  have been off to amazon to get a tube pan :) 

this Cake must be made :D   

oh and Tom is a spoilt toddler who can miss out on the fun everyone else will have, whether they eat the Cake or not!

Nikko-chan

« Reply #128 on: November 21, 2013, 10:24:55 PM »
I wonder if my aunt has a pan like that..... I wanna make the cake....

MindsEye

« Reply #129 on: November 22, 2013, 07:54:14 AM »
I made "the cake" yesterday. 

How did it turn out?

I was interested because it is a slightly different type of chiffon cake than I have made before.

Is that what kind of cake it is?  I had no idea it was a particular "type"!

Figgie

« Reply #130 on: November 22, 2013, 12:34:28 PM »

How did it turn out?

It turned out fine.  :)  It is a pretty sticky cake, so I had to be careful cutting it out of the pan, as there is a tendency for it to not want to separate from the sides/bottom of the tube pan.  It is like a more moist, richer version of an angel food cake.

I like chiffon cakes, mostly because you don't end up having to find a use for the egg yolks that are leftover.  The cake is also moist enough to hold up for a couple of days after baking.  I had the last piece a few minutes ago.  :)

I think I'm going to just purchase extra fine sugar instead of having to sift the regular sugar multiple times.  The only sifting I would do then would be to sift the extra fine sugar together with the cake flour to save a bit of time. 

I plan on trying it again in a couple of weeks for a fundraiser.  I'm going to add lemon extract instead of vanilla extract since like a previous poster, I like a little cake with my lemon.  :)

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #131 on: November 24, 2013, 12:25:13 PM »
Tom is a big baby and should stay home because his whining will ruin the party.  We were just rewarded at work with a steak dinner for acing a corporate inspection.  Head of the dining area came to me after the announcement and said "Don't worry Veghead(his term of endearment for me), I will get you some garden burgers".  I told him he did not have to do that, I could eat the sides and I didn't need any special treatment (I am seriously the only vegetarian out of 70 some employees!) but he made some (and others ate some too!) and made sure there were sides I could eat (he made loaded potatos so that was out but the risotto?  yumyumyum!)  I hatehatehate people who make their dietary choices (Not allergies, choices) every stinking persons issues because then everyone is looking at me suspiciously like I am going to knock the fork out of their hand and start screaming at them. 

SoCalVal

« Reply #132 on: November 25, 2013, 04:22:29 PM »
I made "the cake" yesterday.  I used my over-size two piece tube pan (that I normally use for angel food cakes) and my very large stand mixer.

The egg whites whipped up to almost over the top of the mixing bowl and the entire batter just barely fit into my tube pan.  I would make sure that what you mix it in, is an extra large bowl and that the tube pan is as big as you can find. 

I know that it would never have fit into a bundt pan and it is the kind of cake that needs to be sliced around to remove from the pan, as the pan isn't greased because the whites (like in an angel food cake) need to be able to "cling" to the sides of the pan to stay tall.

I was interested because it is a slightly different type of chiffon cake than I have made before.  I found out that the sifting is to super-fine the sugar and that it isn't a particularly difficult cake to make as long as you have a large enough tube pan and mixing bowl.

Hope that helps!

What size mixing bowl does your stand mixer have? (mine is 6-qt so I'm wondering to see if everything would fit in there)

Also, what is the volume of your angel food pan? (if you don't know and want to figure out, you put in cups of water until it is full)

Figgie

« Reply #133 on: November 25, 2013, 04:52:17 PM »

What size mixing bowl does your stand mixer have? (mine is 6-qt so I'm wondering to see if everything would fit in there)

Also, what is the volume of your angel food pan? (if you don't know and want to figure out, you put in cups of water until it is full)

My mixing bowl is 7-quarts.  My angel food cake pan is 4-quarts.  While the eggs whip up almost over the top, adding the other ingredients will deflate it enough to fit into the 4-quart angel food cake pan.

lakey

« Reply #134 on: November 29, 2013, 12:34:33 AM »
Since when does a guest get to demand that the hostess prepares a special dish just for you? Then to top it off he's griping about it, as if he's entitled to make demands on the hostess.
Talk about being a special snowflake.

I'm a Catholic. When I was young we weren't allowed to eat meat on Friday. Strange I know, but it was considered a way to show God you were willing to make a sacrifice in His name.
Since a lot of parties and events occur on Friday this came up often. Sometimes, people who knew you were Catholic would serve an entree you could eat, but often they never even thought of it, because why would they?
We NEVER suggested to anyone that they make something special. You simply ate the potatoes and salad, or ate a hamburger bun with tomato and mayonnaise.

Honestly, there are a lot worse things in life than not being able to eat some of the food at a party.