Author Topic: Are secondhand toys/clothes bad?  (Read 2441 times)

Jules1980

Are secondhand toys/clothes bad?
« on: November 11, 2013, 05:28:32 PM »
I am looking at stuff for my 2 kiddos for Christmas.  Since they only ever play with stuff for a few days, DH and I have been thinking about buying a few things secondhand.  However, every time I start looking at stuff, I start feeling guilty about not buy new stuff.  Please tell me I'm not the horrible parent I feel like and that this is perfectly fine.  LOL.  I think part of my problem is guilt over the lean Christmas being my fault for quitting my job.  (I had very good reasons.)  But it's still making me feel guilty.  Part of is also that I want to teach my kids that recycling/reusing things is good for us and for the enviroment.  I have no problem doing this for myself and DH.  I just get a block when it comes time to buy used stuff for my kids. 

To make this a question and not a pity party, has anyone else done this?  Did you really save money in the long run?  Did you kids care?  Is this really better for the enviroment than buying all new things?

TIA,
Jules

Hillia

Re: Are secondhand toys/clothes bad?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 05:33:17 PM »
My mom used to buy us gifts at yard sales.  They were always in good condition and ready to go - I have especially fond memories of a Lite Brite :-).

I don't think there's anything wrong with used toys for kids.  The reasons you cite are all excellent.  I would just make sure to clean them well, and I'd probably avoid stuffed animals as being too hard to really sanitize properly.  But if it's in good condition, clean, has all the parts etc, I don't see why not.  I wouldn't make an issue of it with the kids unless they specifically ask where it came from, and then I'd just be very matter of fact about it - of course we reuse good things, why wouldn't we?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Jones

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 05:36:25 PM »
This is how my daughter got a Vtech game system and a small TV last year. No way she was getting that new.

I vote fine so long as it all works and is in good condition.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 05:40:24 PM »
Nothing wring with used toys at all. My sister used to get bundles of soft toys from the charity shop for very cheap, my Dad would throw them in the washing machine and dry them on the line before she played with them.

And when DH was in hospital, there were a group if ladies selling used toys. He got a hospital dragon. :)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 05:47:59 PM »
Absolutely nothing wrong with used toys and/or clothes for kids.

However, if you still do Santa gifts for the kids, I would suggest that those should be new; otherwise, the jig will be up.   :)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Tabby Uprising

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 09:41:23 PM »
 ;D  You gotta come on down to my neck of the woods!  My neighborhood has a buy/sell FB page and I swear there are clothes and toys that have made their way through every family in the area.  You can find some amazing deals.  I don't think there's anything bad about it.  You'll just want to make sure the items are in good condition before you buy.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 10:45:08 PM »
OK, I did not realize what a great idea my dad had when I was a kid-

when Santa came, the presents from him were already on display, track half laid out, dolls with clothes laid around, books open and bookmarked, like he had stopped to play after setting them out.

My brothers and I delighted in playing with what Santa had left, seemingly hours before parents woke up.  Then we had breakfast, and leisurely opened the family gifts. 

years later, I heard that sometimes Santa left wrapped gifts, and you had to wait to open them.

As an adult now, knowing that Santa can leave out gifts unwrapped and ready to go has been such a blessing! 

I have shopped and used secondhand for just about my entire 40something years, and my kids have not had any ill effects, either.

As always, check for choking hazards, lead paint, torn or stained or broken stuff, and avoid those, but you would not believe how much "like new" you can find secondhand. 

Now, one year, the kids were desperate for a Wii game system.  So Santa left them cold hard cash.  But, the money saved from buying secondhand all year allowed us to buy the Wii once it was finally available. 

And now that the Wii is, years later, mostly untouched but still perfectly fine, should I just trash it?  No way.  Next year or so, when they are off to college, I may finally do the exercise game I asked for one year, or maybe sell the whole system and do something fun with the money. 

btw-
I went to a huge fancy auction/dinner/party not too long ago, and most of my outfit was second hand.  I wore a top from CAbi, boots from Nordstroms, and the rest was all secondhand, including my purse and jewelry and scarf and hat.   And I looked good, and have the photos to prove it!  (do not know how to post on-line, but trust me,  I looked good and happy.  Even my DD who is a jr in HS agreed!

:)

So, go for it, and when someone asks where you got fabulous item X, you could say, "Thank-you!  I got it at an temporary outdoor market."
(which is yardsale, but they will think chic.  Or, jsut say thanks, and move on.)

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Promise

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 11:53:08 PM »
Not bad at all. In fact, I did it often. My son's favorite Christmas present was a like-new McDonald's toy set complete with the fake fries, hamburgers, and apron. Gift giving should not be based on only new things. My goodness, I wouldn't have some of my vintage jewelry or antique furniture pieces if that were the case. Look at usefulness, quality, and price. And for many, the recycling aspect is the part that makes their heart go ding, ding, ding!

Library Dragon

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 12:33:23 AM »
Not bad at all.  The dishwasher is a great way to wash stuffed animals. They get cleaned, but not mangled.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Emmy

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 02:01:25 AM »
I have been conditioned to think gifts should be new, although maybe I should rethink that.  I buy secondhand toys and clothes, but usually don't give them as gifts.  If I had bought new what I bought second hand for my kids, I would have spent several hundred dollars more. 

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 02:31:30 AM »
I personally wouldn't for a major gift giving occasion (major holiday, birthday) unless your finances are *that* bad, but for minor events it would be ok. but that's me - i grew up getting mostly handmedown dresses and i didn't like it - you had to wear *that* or nothing. with DS i did get a lot of handmedowns (especially when he wsa younger) but also made sure to buy him new clothing.

if you are concerned about the enviornment - then have your children recycle *their* stuff - have them take some of their older toys and dolls and give them to a children's hospital for example or tell them in advance that they will each donate one of their new wrapped gifts to "toys for tots"

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 02:56:28 AM »
I have been conditioned to think gifts should be new, although maybe I should rethink that.  I buy secondhand toys and clothes, but usually don't give them as gifts.  If I had bought new what I bought second hand for my kids, I would have spent several hundred dollars more.

I do think that *most of the time* our social expectations are that gifts be new.  The exceptions are gifts which are really just "thinking of you" presents ("saw this and figured you'd like it, no special occasion!") and very close family - and I think this qualifies, especially if your finances wouldn't allow you to give what you wanted to give otherwise.

That said, are your kids old enough that you can put some of the responsibility on them?  Take them to a thrift store and have your present be that they can pick out their own toys/games up to $X?  Or help them sort through eBay to find something they want?

AliciaLynette

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 03:29:48 AM »
Three quarters of my daughter's toys are secondhand, along with her clothes, and we just brought two huge bags of clothes back from my sister's over half-term, that he kids had grown out off.  As long as the items are in good condition and your child will enjoy them, go for it!!

Bug likes nothing more than rummaging through the toys when we go to the charity shop, and usually tries to persuade me to buy several in addition to any books/clothes we may buy there for her!!
Children are natural mimics; they act like their parents in spite of every effort to teach them good manners.
Author Unknown

Monkey Maker

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 04:59:18 AM »
Nope, not bad.  Everyone else has given some great advice which I can't add to.  This year, my children are getting new things as what they wanted is impossible to find second hand.  Having said that, they're only getting one toy from me and DH, one toy from each other and one toy from Santa, which is what they really, really wanted.

OK, I did not realize what a great idea my dad had when I was a kid-

when Santa came, the presents from him were already on display, track half laid out, dolls with clothes laid around, books open and bookmarked, like he had stopped to play after setting them out.

That is awesome!  I'm going to do that this year with my boys Santa toy!

Runningstar

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 06:15:26 AM »
I'm all for second hand, but often in our house we don't even need to go to a store or sale for that.  I round up the unopened toys in the house that one of the kids received and never opened and re-gift it to another sibling (or cousin).  My kids get a lot of things from family that are too young, too advanced, or just unwanted.  Also, some years I wrap up a cherished item from my childhood that I've gotten out of storage.  My DD's favorite toy was a horse that I played with, and always kept carefully on a shelf.