Author Topic: Are secondhand toys/clothes bad?  (Read 2602 times)

HGolightly

Re: Are secondhand toys/clothes bad?
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 11:08:48 AM »
I love finding secondhand treasures for my daughter. A couple of years ago I found a toy kitchen and this year she will be getting a really great doctor's kit. The best part of buying used? They toys are ready to play, no assembly required,

workerbee

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2013, 11:20:13 AM »
Gosh, I hope not, or my kids' wardrobes would be substantially smaller! With two boys who are hard on clothes and grow like weeds, I have become a champion consignment shopper. For gifts, I usually end up buying new, but I would not have a problem with second hand toys. Most of the ones I've seen in consignment shops (particularly the baby toys) are in like-new condition anyway.

For gifts for not-my-own kids, I would probably buy new. I guess for the reasons stated above, I would just feel odd about giving a secondhand toy as a b-day/holiday gift (as a hand-me-down or here-I-saw-this-at-a-yard-sale-and-thought-of-little-Timmy gift? Sure!).

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2013, 11:24:59 AM »
As a child I loved stuff from the rummage sale.

As an adult, I still shop at consignment stores/thrift shops/library book sales. My mom was thrilled with the batch of Georgette Heyers I found for her at a book resale, and it cost more to mail the books than it did to buy them!
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2013, 11:50:49 AM »
My kids are pretty young, (5, 2, 1yo) and I get a lot of stuff second hand for them. I'm actually eagerly anticipating my favorite twice a year  consignment sale.

For Baby's first birthday, I took the kids to Goodwill on dollar Thursday and the 2 older kids got to pick a gift. They found some really fun toys with their $1 budget instead of just picking out some junk that would be thrown away/broken immediately.

We've found some great stuff that is good as new with a little elbow grease, soap and water. I've even given a few second hand toys to kids who aren't mine. One niece got a fun dollhouse, furniture and 2 barbies for her birthday. It took a while to scrub it down; way too many nooks and crannies. The roof tiles were carved, and I spent nearly an hour with an old toothbrush. She loves it.
My other niece is getting a couple Barbies, the pink convertible, and a box of Barbie clothes I'm sewing for Christmas.

I've also found an unopened, unused ice cream maker like this and a set of 4 pretty ice cream dishes. Put in a big basket with some sprinkles, chocolate sauce and maraschino cherries, and it's a fun grown up gift for one of my siblings.
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

cwm

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2013, 12:01:07 PM »
To me, it depends on the kids. When I was young, some of my favorite presents were from my grandma, and I knew she had found them at garage sales, hadn't spent any more than a few dollars on them. Grandma was notorious on the garage sale circuit in her area. I had a blast with those things.

Most of what my niece gets is secondhand. My grandma will splurge on her, and my mom will occasionally indulge her, but most of her games/puzzles/outfits are found at thrift stores or garage sales and cleaned accordingly. Sproglet will be 2 in a month and doesn't even know the difference, all she knows is that she's got plenty of things to play with and plenty of clothes to spill things on destroy wear.

Also, most of my wardrobe is secondhand. The few things I buy new all the time are underclothes and socks, and usually shoes. Once every five years or so I'll buy new jeans or shirts, but mostly it's thrift stores all the way.

lilfox

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2013, 12:45:59 PM »
I think it matters about the condition of the toys and clothes, particularly once the kids are old enough to notice.  Most of my DD's wardrobe and books are hand me downs, most had that never-worn or rarely-used feel and some were in less-great condition (especially the books!) but still very usable.  Only a few of her toys are hand me downs, though, and fewer of those are stuffed animals.

The only clothes I don't keep for her are ones that have stains, holes, or wear spots (hand-me-downs, not thrift store finds which are generally screened for quality).  Some have been in a condition where I have to wonder why the parents bothered to store them.  Also, underwear unless it still has tags/was never worn.  My mom does a lot of shopping for DD at thrift stores and she's been shocked at how many clothes still have tags or are clearly pressed from never having been worn, so those can be a real score.

mime

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2013, 01:02:38 PM »
It depends on the item for me. When DS liked Legos, those were new (too hard to get a full set secondhand). Video games are all used.

For the last few years, I've been "buying" DS's(8yo) old toys to give to DS(3yo), and it has been perfect: Older son gets rid of toys he has outgrown. He gets $$ for them to buy something else. Younger son gets toys that are new-to-him. I save money because I pay very little to buy from older DS. Finally we don't add to the clutter and piles of toys already in the house.

It's not quite the same as a rummage sale, but the younger son who gets used toys barely even notices that they've been used.

Reader

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2013, 02:00:53 PM »
Absolutely nothing wrong with used toys and/or clothes for kids.

However, if you still do Santa gifts for the kids, I would suggest that those should be new; otherwise, the jig will be up.   :)

My mom once gave me the used game of life as a Santa gift, it was that that started me to question Santa, and darn it if I wasn't a bit nerdy and actually compared the handwriting on the tags to confirm that my mom was Santa. 

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2013, 02:38:28 PM »
Well, yes, if you were old enough to read and follow the rules of a board game like Life, then she should have upped her game.

I also did the handwriting comparisons, but played along a bit longer, because I had younger siblings.

The worst part now, with mom when my kids came over for Christmas, our once only yearly visit, as the kids are playing with "new" stuff, she would brag about where she got it for such a deal.

I mean, we come 1000 miles to her, she never comes to us, and she does not send birthday gifts.  Even if I know it is secondhand, I think a once only yearly visit would at least be worth a shut mouth for one day of her savings. 

I like sedcondhand/vintage/consingment very very much.

But bragging about it instead of watching your grandkids enjoying said item is just...not right.

back on topic,

choose wisely, and know your audience. 
:)
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

SiotehCat

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2013, 02:52:27 PM »
I shop at thrift stores all of the time. All of my clothes are second hand. I visit 4 of my closest Goodwills once a week.

However, I wouldn't feel right giving my son something used for Christmas. If money was tight, I'd start saving really early or use a layaway option.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2013, 03:00:58 PM »
I think that secondhand stuff is great in general.  That being said, I think it is nice for kids to get something new.  I'd probably tend to go for a couple new CHristmas gifts versus a lot of secondhand Christmas gifts, then add in the secondhand goodies at other times. Same with birthdays.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2013, 03:02:34 PM »
How old are the kids?
That seems important. My daughter gets new gifts, handmade gifts and used gifts from her family. So far, she has expressed no preference. The gift is the gift and a set of secondhand toys gives her just as much happiness.

I can get so much awesomeness for so much less money second hand that I often buy secondhand.

I also think that secondhand gifts can teach appreciation for the gift itself (the thoughtfulness, the usefulness, the appropriateness) versus the amount spent (newness, packaging, return ability).

edit: I buy new gifts for almost everyone on my lists with a few exceptions. If I see something perfect that happens to be used,I'll buy the gift-but even then, I think about whether the recipient would prefer a new gift.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 03:10:37 PM by Deetee »

Peregrine

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2013, 05:08:54 PM »
I don't think it's bad to give second hand gifts...although I would probably make sure that there was a new one or two things still under the tree if that's in your budget....

But here is another facepalm moment.  I bought my son a building (Treo) set last year for Christmas, but one thing led to another and last Christmas was particularly generous for a number of reasons, and that particular toy never even made it out of the box.  They were a little bit beyond him at the time....so I'm planning to re-wrap them and give them to him again this year  ;D  Mommy is very silly, but hey, it works.

Tigger

• Always having fun
  • Life is hard. After all, it kills you - K Hepburn
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2013, 06:31:34 PM »
My DS in 3 years old and I've been buying second hand clothes and toys since he was born.  He doesn't care where the toys come from as long as he has some.  He is a typical boy, running and very messy.  I'd be super upset if I spent $30 on a pair of jeans for him to fall down in them and get a hole right away; or for him to get a stain on a shirt from something he ate.

We have a store here in Canada called Once Upon A Child.  It sells second children's things. Some of the clothes I have found for him still had the tags on them.  I can get Calvin Klein jeans for $6, Kenneth Cole suede jacket (never worn) for $9 tags still on.  I could go on and on but it would take hours  :) 

I also picked up a wooden train table set on Kijiji for $80.  It was the table, tracks, round house, bunch of trains and people and trees.  The table alone was $200 brand new.  It would have cost me around $400 with all the accessories.  I usually get some new toys and some used. 

I think in today's society with people throwing away things like they don't matter it's a great way to teach your kids how to reuse.  I'd rather put the money away for his education than a new toy he played with for a few weeks.

My mother loves garage sales and estate sales.  She has picked up great stuff for me over the years.  I will teach my son that some things you buy second hand and others (if you save) you can buy new.

Ontario

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2013, 07:35:10 PM »
My view on (clean, good quality) secondhand gifts is, "Hey! Even MORE fun!" Because if I buy my kid's toys secondhand, I can buy about five time as much as if I bought them new. So secondhand, I can buy twice as many and still have money left over for saving, or dinner out, or a bottle of wine. I wish people would buy me secondhand gifts. I'd rather get a nice sweater secondhand than a cheap gadget new. Or a good-quality gadget second hand rather than a cheap sweater. I like that it's cool now to buy your own clothes and items secondhand (that's what we lived on growing up, and it was definitely NOT cool at the time). But I wish that would spill over into gifts, too.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah