General Etiquette > Life...in general

Eavesdropping and general nosy-ness...

<< < (2/7) > >>

m2kbug:
I think when you're laughing out loud and talking to yourself, you're kind of inviting these friends and acquaintances into a conversation or into your personal life.  Don't mumble to yourself would be a good start.  Try not to laugh so loudly.  For an article, just state, "It's a funny article, I'll let you read it when I'm done."  Or "this book is hilarious, I recommend it." 

"I need to take a private call, if you could excuse me please." 

"I'll chat in just a bit, I need to deal with some business matters first."

The thing is, this is your store, not your living room, and with customers, inevitably there will be interruptions.  You're sort of "on" all the time.  To avoid interruptions, read during break in a private area.   

citadelle:
When my husband laughs out loud, he *wants* me to ask what is funny. I have noticed a lot of people do this, laugh out loud to prompt someone to ask so they can share the joke.

I assume your customers think this is what you are doing.

Twik:
I've had it happen the other way.

Got on the elevator. A couple was already on it.

Him: mumblmumble.

Me: (thinking) I don't know him, I guess he's either talking to the other person or he's got a Bluetooth. It would be rude to act as if I can hear his conversation.

Him: mumblemmumbleallrightdontsayanythingwhenisayhello...

Me: Oops! Sorry, hello!

hannahmollysmom:
As I've mentioned before  ::), I work at an airport. I'm also a smoker. We have designated spots outside where to go.

More often than not,  when I go out on break, there is another employee there who I'm friends with, and we strike up a conversation. Arriving or departing passengers also use the designated smoking area. Nothing aggravates me more, then when a stranger interjects themselves into our conversation.

My other pet peeve is, if I am there by myself, I am often reading my Nook. These same strangers still feel free to talk to me or ask questions while I'm reading. Would you interrupt someone reading in a library? I think not, so why is it ok when someone is reading somewhere else?

Don't get me wrong, I am polite as I acknowledge a greeting, but then go back to reading. I don't feel that by acknowledging a hello opens me up to conversation, but then again...

menley:

--- Quote from: citadelle on November 12, 2013, 10:37:46 PM ---When my husband laughs out loud, he *wants* me to ask what is funny. I have noticed a lot of people do this, laugh out loud to prompt someone to ask so they can share the joke.

I assume your customers think this is what you are doing.

--- End quote ---

I agree with this. Most people that I know that laugh aloud while reading are annoyed when I don't ask them "what's so funny?", and most people who mumble to themselves in public that I have encountered seem put out when I ignore their mumbling entirely and start speaking louder and louder until I recognize that, oh, they must want a response. To be honest, the people that laugh out loud while reading, and the people that talk to themselves in public, drive me crazy. Probably just as crazy as you feel, OP, about them asking about it. I don't think either is wrong necessarily, it's just how we're wired, and because of that I think it would be rude of you to ask them to stop asking you questions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version