General Etiquette > Life...in general

etiquette mistakes all the way around

<< < (2/20) > >>

Kaypeep:
I don't think the delivery man did anything wrong.  The transaction was not complete until you tipped him cash, as you (accidentally) indicated when you filled out the form.  Him joking about accepting all your friend's cash was not rude and sounds like he was trying to lighten the situation.  I think the rude part was you calling the restaurant to make some kind of complaint.  The error was on your part, and it created an awkward situation for everyone.  If I were you, I'd just be grateful a friend was there with cash to tip the guy, and chalk it up to a lesson learned in being extra careful with online ordering in the future.

mime:
I don't think you were wrong.

The delivery guy didn't want to give your food to you until he was sure he was getting a tip?

With no support from management when you called them, that experience would make me buy my dinners somewhere else in the future.

Surianne:

--- Quote from: Kaypeep on November 12, 2013, 07:45:55 PM ---I don't think the delivery man did anything wrong.  The transaction was not complete until you tipped him cash, as you (accidentally) indicated when you filled out the form.  Him joking about accepting all your friend's cash was not rude and sounds like he was trying to lighten the situation.  I think the rude part was you calling the restaurant to make some kind of complaint.  The error was on your part, and it created an awkward situation for everyone.  If I were you, I'd just be grateful a friend was there with cash to tip the guy, and chalk it up to a lesson learned in being extra careful with online ordering in the future.

--- End quote ---

I agree.  Unless he was aggressive about it (hard to say without being there), I think he was fine in reminding you of what you'd filled out online about the tip, and he was likely trying to lighten the mood with his joke.  Your friend was also very gracious in offering the cash.  I don't think the delivery guy deserved the complaint you phoned in, and I think the manager handled it well in standing up for his employee rather than throwing him under the bus.

*inviteseller:
OP made an honest mistake and was going to tell him how she was going to rectify it, but he chose to hold the food hostage while waiting for the cash, and making 'jokes' about taking all the cash her friend pulled out.  He not only wouldn't have gotten the tip, I would have demanded my money back.  I waitressed, I hated being stiffed (a regular customer of mine NEVER tipped) but I would NEVER ask for one or question the amount a customer gave me.  I chose to quickly realize that tips are not a guarantee and just give everyone the same service .  My sister and I chose not to tip a waitress a few years ago (bill was about $30) because she kept disappearing, she had attitude when we asked for drink refills (she preferred the table with the 2 good looking men) and never asked of we wanted dessert and when we asked for it she sighed loudly and slammed them on the table when she finally brought them.  When we went to the cashier to pay she came up to another employee and carped about the too old ladies (we aren't) who stiffed her out of a tip.  Well, I was paying with my card and planned on putting a small one on but that sealed the deal and there was a 0 on that line when I signed.    Had she kept her mouth shut and not just assumed we were leaving a cash tip she would have gotten something (not much though) but instead the 2 old ladies left her with nothing.

lady_disdain:
Honestly, I would not have tipped him after that. A tip is not mandatory, period. And, yes, I am a good tipper.

If he had asked about it in a polite manner ("Excuse me, ma'am, the receipt says 'cash tips', is that right?" for example) and not held the food hostage, I would have thanked him for letting me know, thanked my friend for bailing me out and kicked myself for being so absent minded.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version