Author Topic: Meetup Question  (Read 925 times)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Meetup Question
« on: February 10, 2014, 08:38:19 AM »
On many internet sites such as forums most people have screen names that aren't their real ones.  This is understandable when expressing opinions that we don't want getting back to certain people.  On Facebook and LinkedIn most people have their full legal names.  Also understandable because they are looking to connect with people in their pasts or for the benefit of their futures.

Why, then, don't they put their full legal names on Meetup when that site's purpose is to actually introduce people face to face over common interests for future social interactions?

Over the weekend I had a situation where people were picking up free concert tickets at the venue because I had no other way of distributing most of them.  Almost nobody who attended this event has their full names on their ID's on their profiles; half of them don't have photos.  Since there were also multiples of some first names this can present some issues. The primary discussion question therefore is:

Would it be rude to request or require that Meetup members provide their full legal names and a head shot?  I am required to do this as an organizer so that members can recognize me when arriving for events (which are typically at public places).   Is it too much to ask others to provide this when I don't know all of them personally (my group has 1800 members on paper)?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 10:34:41 AM by Venus193 »

buvezdevin

Re: Meetup Question
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 08:51:38 AM »
Some Meetup groups do require a photo to join and sign up for events, largely for the reason you mention of being able to recognize others in the group when "meeting up" - but if the group site doesn't require it, I would not ask for a photo unless visual recognition were key to a particular event.

What I would do, in the situation you describe, is put information in the Meetup announcement that all attendees will need to email to you their full name (assuming you could leave tickets at will call), and do follow up messages to anyone who RSVPed yes, but had not sent an email with their name.

I use Meetup, and would not want to have my full name listed on the site, though I have no problem sharing it in person or individually by email - much like Meetups for some groups or events are not posted for everyone to view, but are provided through email once one has signed up.
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 08:58:05 AM »
I have seen home pages of groups that keep event information private to their members and this is an option my group may take on.  I am in discussion with another organizer on this as we have related groups due to interest and a (currently unknown number of) common members.

A number of our events in the summer are outdoors and are free, so I always post what I will be wearing or I tell them to look for my Coolibar parasol.  However, I'd like to be able to recognize members at events happening at this time of year as well, particularly since it isn't possible at this point to be able to get discounted tickets in contiguous numbered seats.

buvezdevin

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 09:17:31 AM »
If your group wants to add a requirement for a photo with member profiles, that is one way to go (and many groups do) whether or not member information is only viewable to other members.

The benefit of that approach is it lets all participants recognize others at events, though having a recognized point of gathering at larger events works, too - everyone meet up at this section, or look for the parasol.

But, if your objective is distributing tickets at an event and the preferred options require full names, asking for full names by email when people sign up is pretty simple, and doesn't require changing the group site sign up requirements to put it in place.

I think you are wise to keep thinking about what works best overall, and whether to tweak the group sign up requirements; just addressing the recent event example you described.
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

betty

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 01:09:11 PM »
I help run a Meetup group. When someone joins our group, they answer a few questions and then someone approves their membership. One of our questions is "What is your full name?" Their screen name stays the same, but one can click on their info for the group to see the answers to the questions, including their full name.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 01:13:19 PM by betty »

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 01:51:36 PM »
Thus far my group has not had membership approval pending review by me or any previous organizer.  I have pondered this issue but considering the nature of our group and our mission statement I have not yet considered this measure.

What I will do soon is to e-mail the group regarding another issue and possibly raise the issue of the full name at that time.  This situation was a little unusual as we don't often get free tickets to anything, but this situation could occur again.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 03:26:34 PM »
I have run meetups for quite some time.  I don't require people to put there full names on their group profiles, but I do ask a question on the event.  I typically put something like "In order to RSVP, please put your full name and contact email address.

This way only the event host and organizer can see the responses. 

My groups do require people to put an actual picture of their face on the site.