Author Topic: Disagreeing with someone's GPS  (Read 8890 times)

lowspark

Re: Disagreeing with someone's GPS
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2013, 11:17:20 AM »
I usually just quit paying attention to the road/route when I'm not driving. I've had people take the most circuitous route out of my own neighborhood and I think to myself, "why didn't they just ask me?" But I usually just keep my mouth shut and let them do what they want.

When I'm driving, I feel the same way. If I want guidance/directions, I'll ask. If I don't ask, I'd rather not get them.

Now, having said all that, I think you can politely suggest to give directions. "I know a good way to get there that I think is shorter/quicker than what the GPS is showing if you're interested." Then take the answer at face value. If it's "no" then just relax, have normal conversation and don't give it another thought.

lowspark

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2013, 11:19:22 AM »
I meant to add that about the only time I do actually speak up with explicit directions is when someone is driving me home and it's clear they are going to miss a turn or go the wrong way. Then I'll say, "turn left here for my house" or "this isn't your turn, it's the next street" or whatever. Otherwise, I pretty much let them do as they please unless they ask me.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2013, 11:55:48 AM »
One of the reasons I turn my GPS on is to have someone to argue with on solo drives. Bad routes, ridiculous pronunciations are all topics for one-way discussion.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Goosey

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2013, 12:11:05 PM »
Instead of "I usually turn here" I think you should have said, "The GPS is sending us on a route that will take a lot longer. Do you mind if I navigate instead?"

The first is a general observation. The second is a direct request.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2013, 12:21:15 PM »
One of the reasons I turn my GPS on is to have someone to argue with on solo drives. Bad routes, ridiculous pronunciations are all topics for one-way discussion.

Per the bolded: it is interesting how my GPS says certain words. It turns "parkway" into 3 syllables!  :)

General comment: I use my GPS when I'm driving to an unfamiliar place. However, there are times I know it's giving me wrong instructions. Take the NJ Turnpike, which I drive often. It will have me taking express lanes, when I know for a fact that the exit I need isn't there (it's in the 'local' lanes). So while I take the advice of the GPS most of the time, there are times I ignore what it says because I know for a fact it's steering me wrong.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2013, 12:25:34 PM »
My GPS decided to take me, instead of on my nice easy highway route, through mile after mile of downtown Detroit.

I think it's trying to kill me.  :(
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

cwm

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2013, 12:33:23 PM »
I will hands down trust local knowledge over a GPS. GPSs tend to lose satellite connection when they get too close to me, no matter whose it is. I cannot physically operate on in a car. If it's close enough for me to see the map and input things, no connection. I tend to use it when I'm in a completely unfamiliar area and someone else is in the car to hold it far enough away from me to run it, but if the passenger knows where we're going, I'll rely on them. They're doing the bulk of the navigating anyway, I can't hear the GPS or see the map on it so I have to have someone run interference.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2013, 12:42:07 PM »
Most GPS's have a setting to take faster or shorter route.  I have dickered with my settings before and each one has its merit depending on where I am going.  I don't know how the GPS finds some of the routes it takes b/c they are out of the way, roads with many lights etc., when there is a freeway available very close.  Don't understand the logic sometimes.   

My current GPS allows me to choose from several routes.  If I know how to get to the general vicinity, I will go my own way and then let the GPS do the rest once I am in the unfamiliar territory. 

CakeBeret

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2013, 12:55:42 PM »
As a driver, I often feel safer following GPS directions rather than from another person. I don't want to contend with "Make a right at the next street--NO! NO! THIS STREET! HERE!", "I think it's this street...no, the next one....maybe it's the next one...", or "TURN HERE!" Oh, you missed it." (Well excuse me for not causing a traffic accident to make that turn with no warning)

I'm a nervous driver in new areas, and I would rather get my directions from a source I am certain will be reliable, even if it's a longer or more circuitous route.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Pen^2

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2013, 12:58:22 PM »
I agree with what a lot of PPs have said: if you're the passenger, then it's like being a guest. Offer help once or twice maybe, but if it's not accepted, then you just have to sit and bear it. It's like if you're a guest at someone else's house and they're cooking. Even if you're a Michelin star chef, you still don't presume to tell them what to do beyond generally offering to help. It's not about what's best or most efficient. It's just the polite thing to do. And if you're a passenger in someone else's car, then you're a guest, after all.

Of course, I fully agree that a local will often know faster routes than a GPS, and different GPSs with different settings have varying efficiencies. It's never a sure thing, though, and it's the driver's prerogative to do what they feel most comfortable with. But after you initially offered to direct your friend along a faster route because you know the area well, I'd just say nothing unless specifically asked for advice. Things like, "I usually turn left here," aren't offers for help, and could be misinterpreted as passive-aggressive or nagging depending on the tone (I'm sure you were fine OP, but I had a coworker who would constantly say, "Oh, you're doing X? I always do Y," in a very superior tone about every tiny thing).

cutejellybeen

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2013, 01:29:10 PM »
As a driver, I often feel safer following GPS directions rather than from another person. I don't want to contend with "Make a right at the next street--NO! NO! THIS STREET! HERE!", "I think it's this street...no, the next one....maybe it's the next one...", or "TURN HERE!" Oh, you missed it." (Well excuse me for not causing a traffic accident to make that turn with no warning)

I'm a nervous driver in new areas, and I would rather get my directions from a source I am certain will be reliable, even if it's a longer or more circuitous route.

Be Careful always trusting the GPS though - I live in a small Canadian province and a few winters ago there was someone driving through the province, and her GPS put her on an unused logging road in the northern part of the province. If I remember correctly she got stuck, and was there for a few days before someone happened to find her.  She was very very lucky.

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2013, 01:29:38 PM »
Being short of work at the moment, I'm seeing a job opportunity here... GPS can't find me. I've expressed the intention of becoming a spy, because the satellites and spycams won't be able to find me, but it is now well known around the family that if I start the GPS it spends anything up to 200 miles whimpering 'can't find satellite...' The one on my phone told me that I had run from Manchester in England, which wasn't where I was, to the West Coast of Ireland, which wasn't where I'd gone, and back, including, presumably, swimming the Irish Sea. That's something around 700 miles in 90 minutes. (The E-Hell fitness support squad is very good.

So you know, those of you who don't want to deal with other people's GPS, I'm available to travel with you for a very reasonable fee, and there will be no GPS availability at all. Bring your own map.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2013, 01:33:35 PM »
I find GPS downright useless in cities with taller buildings.  Add in bad weather?  It's not finding anything for me.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

MrTango

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2013, 02:03:27 PM »
I kind of wish I could get the voice of the Allstate "Mayhem" guy on my Garmin.  Or at least him saying "Recalculating!"

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2013, 02:08:44 PM »

Be Careful always trusting the GPS though - I live in a small Canadian province and a few winters ago there was someone driving through the province, and her GPS put her on an unused logging road in the northern part of the province. If I remember correctly she got stuck, and was there for a few days before someone happened to find her.  She was very very lucky.

There was also a story on Dateline or one of those shows about three women who were going somewhere in Death Valley.  The GPS kept taking them in circles and they got lost in the desert.  they were also found, but they were missing for days in that heat.