Author Topic: Disagreeing with someone's GPS  (Read 8233 times)

Lady Godiva

Re: Disagreeing with someone's GPS
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2013, 09:31:42 PM »
I think if you're a passenger in someone else's car, you can politely express your concern over the GPS route once. If the driver doesn't take your point, then let them do the driving using map, GPS, written directions, or whatever navigation aids they choose to use. I'd make an exception if the GPS is sending you down truly odd roads--unpaved with grass growing between the tracks, up a mountain or into a lake, or into an area that you believe is dangerous--then speak up in the interest of safety, like the copilot who asked the captain, "Excuse me, but are you planning to land on that highway? And if so, are you going to lower the landing gear?"

I take GPS auto navigation with a grain (no, a full saltshaker!) of salt. My first experience with my brand-new GPS was when it directed me to a rural location on Rattlesnake Gutter Road (yes, that's really the name!) during a New England winter. Unfortunately, while the GPS plotted the location correctly, it failed to understand that 10 miles of the road between me & my destination (the part that goes over the mountain) was closed for the winter and blocked with 4 feet of snow. In addition, my GPS refuses to believe that I live where I live (probably because I live in a converted carriage barn), and every time I turn into my own driveway, Miss Prissy Voice informs me, "You are in the wrong location. Turn around when possible!"  I'd sooner believe my horse--you can drop the reins and he'll always get you back to the barn.

oogyda

« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2013, 08:12:18 AM »
There's a section of road I travel 1-2 times a month that now has a "new traffic pattern".  The sign warning of the new traffic pattern obviously wasn't enough (it really wasn't as the new traffic pattern means you should be in the far right lane of 3 instead of the left turn lane) so they've put up 3 lighted signs leading up to the change.  The first one reads

Highway 17
Right lane

IGNORE GPS
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2013, 03:54:19 PM »
We had a staff party last weekend. Both GPS and Google maps put the location right in the middle of the Brazos river.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Copper Horsewoman

« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2014, 02:32:55 PM »
Longtime lurker, new poster here.  GPS is at best a mixed blessing, I live out in the back o' beyond and putting my home address into many GPS will get you a nasal "not found".  If someone has at least a general knowledge of where we are going, I'll trust them before GPS at least until we get close.  That said, the one with the wheel in front of them is the captain, and what they say/do prevails (I will point out if the driver is about to go upstream on a one-way street or miss a stop sign.) This captaincy, BTW, includes radio/other audio, and climate control.

turnip

« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2014, 02:49:11 PM »
I'd find this galling too, and a little insulting (ie that my friend didn't trust my knowledge, and my ability to give clear directions).

Unfortunately however, if your friend was driving, and she said she wanted to use the GPS rather than have you navigate, I don't think there's much else you can do, from an etiquette perspective.

Your feelings are unfortunate but I'm afraid from an etiquette perspective I am perfectly in the clear in saying "No, thank you" to your offer of directions.

IME, in a battle of local knowledge vs. GPS, GPS wins every time.   Obviously I'm going to be cautious in backwoods or dangerous areas, but 99.9% of the time we're comparing one perfectly safe route to another.  If you offer me directions, I'm going to refuse.  If you insist or pout, you probably won't be driving in my car again.

magicdomino

« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2014, 03:10:11 PM »
One of the reasons I turn my GPS on is to have someone to argue with on solo drives. Bad routes, ridiculous pronunciations are all topics for one-way discussion.

Oh good, I'm not the only one.  My previous GPS had a Yoda voice which would occasionally counsel me to use the Force.  It helped a lot with tricky intersections, but I never could levitate an annoying car out of my way   :D 

I try to restrain the temptation to argue with my best friend's GPS.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2014, 04:29:37 PM »
I'd find this galling too, and a little insulting (ie that my friend didn't trust my knowledge, and my ability to give clear directions).

Unfortunately however, if your friend was driving, and she said she wanted to use the GPS rather than have you navigate, I don't think there's much else you can do, from an etiquette perspective.

Your feelings are unfortunate but I'm afraid from an etiquette perspective I am perfectly in the clear in saying "No, thank you" to your offer of directions.

IME, in a battle of local knowledge vs. GPS, GPS wins every time.   Obviously I'm going to be cautious in backwoods or dangerous areas, but 99.9% of the time we're comparing one perfectly safe route to another.  If you offer me directions, I'm going to refuse.  If you insist or pout, you probably won't be driving in my car again.

I've had so many instances of a GPS insisting I should turn left and travel the wrong way down a one-way street that I absolutely will take the word of someone who has actually *been* there.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2014, 11:05:30 AM »

I've had so many instances of a GPS insisting I should turn left and travel the wrong way down a one-way street that I absolutely will take the word of someone who has actually *been* there.

I've had more than a few of those. Left turns where there's an obvious "No Left Turn" sign. Routes that, based on my local knowledge, are very roundabout. GPS is nice, but not remotely perfect. I'll trust local knowledge every time.

One of my favorite GPS stories (besides the GPS mispronouncing street names): We were driving across Orlando, FL heading towards WDW. The GPS wanted me to get off the freeway and then immediately get back on. Apparently, the length of the offramp/onramp was somehow less than the length staying on the freeway.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2014, 11:09:40 AM »
We were just talking about this at coffee break.  One coworker talked about his GPS wanting him to get off the highway onto a goat path for about 800 m and then get back on the highway.  Because it cut a big sweeping corner off the highway drive.

I'm very good at ignoring the GPS.  I'm also very good at talking back to the GPS.  'Why in the hell would I want to do THAT?' becomes a very common refrain when I'm driving with one.  Which isn't very often because I don't own one.  I usually just print a map - often having to go to MapQuest because GoogleMaps won't find some of the more rural locations I need to go to.  Work has a couple that I'll use when I travel for work and if I think I need one when I'm travelling on my own, I can borrow one.  (No smart phone, either.)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

AzaleaBloom

• Help, I'm stepping into the twilight zone...
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2014, 03:19:07 PM »
There was one time where my fellow passengers and myself got VERY insistent with the driver about not listening to her GPS, but it was one of those "safety trumps etiquette situations."

We had been out in MajorCity.  When driver - someone who prides herself in being completely clueless - had picked us all up at my house, her GPS had wanted to send her an alternate way into City.  Said way would take her through some of the worst neighborhoods in MajorCity.  I sent her to nearby highway, which not only was much safer, but it was also a direct route to where we were going.  The alternate route would have saved all of one mile.

When we left, it was 1:30 AM.  We got in her car and she powered up the GPS.  We reminded her to follow the prominently placed signs to highway.  Instead, she followed the GPS - which proceeded to take us into some of the absolute worst neighborhoods in MajorCity.  At 1:30 in the morning.

Those of us in the car became extremely insistent that she needed to turn around and head back towards highway.  She kept trying to say it would be "fine" (again, this person has deliberately kept herself clueless about reality - she admitted that to me once), and that we didn't have to do so.  One girl in the backseat started explaining to her what was ahead if she kept going.  (we're talking some of the worst drug corners in the US.  There have been several TV series based in MajorCity that make it clear just how bad it is.)  She finally turned around.

The point is, during the day, it really wouldn't have been a huge problem.  At 1:30 AM?  It was a problem.

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2014, 03:46:19 PM »
Oh I always take a GPS direction with a big grain of salt. I've been directed up driveways, wheel ruts in a field, rivers, etc. I don't turn on them and usually an alternative route is suddenly discovered by my GPS.

My MIL was on a trip with a friend who did blindly follow the GPS directions, down smaller and smaller roads until she was in the middle of a pasture with cows and cowboys who didn't speak English. Fortunately continuing to follow the GPS got them on bigger and bigger roads until they reached the address they wanted.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Tabby Uprising

« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2014, 04:52:43 PM »
It could also be a matter of a driver who is either lost or in unknown territory trying to concentrate on the GPS rather than be actively dismissive of their passenger's advice.  If they already have the GPS on and are trying to listen to the GPS instructions, it may be distracting to have a passenger chime in with, "Hey, actually if you take a right up here on 30th Avenue you can shave of 10 minutes".  Also, listening and quickly viewing the map on the GPS may be helping to cement the directions in the drivers memory.  A passenger chiming in may erode that mental pathway a bit. 

Mikayla

« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2014, 05:47:02 PM »
With most of my friends, I'd gladly take them over GPS.  With the 1 or 2 who have a tendency to daydream, it's a gut call.

My funniest experience was with an early GPS in DC, where there are many one way streets.  The GPS didn't care about such trivialities.  My best friend was trying to demonstrate how great these things are (I have mild Luddite tendencies) and suddenly the voice was yelling at us to turn right on a street where all cars were heading left.  And when I say yelling, this was a somewhat strident instruction.  Then we hit DuPont Circle and she was just in over her head, the poor dear.

We were cracking up, and when it was over, I calmly told her I had no idea how I'd ever lived without one.  I know they're better now, but dang...that was a tough initiation.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2014, 09:05:35 AM »
I *love* my GPS.  That said, I think that you sometimes have to be willing to look at the route and deviate when appropriate.  My GPS is actually really good about one-way roads in the city, though.  I really appreciate that.  Sometimes it will tell me to take such-and-such route, and I'm like, that doesn't make sense, let me just go a bit farther and take this other road.   And then that other road turns out to be one-way the wrong direction, and suddenly the GPS makes sense.  :)

I did think it was pretty fun when I lived temporarily on "Tower Drive."  You wouldn't think the GPS would have an issue pronouncing "tower," but it did.  The first syllable was pronounced like "tow."  And then I lived on another road that the GPS actually had two different pronounciations for, depending on where you got onto the road.  The road name had an "sh" in the middle, and one version of the name actually pronounced it as "sh," but the other pronounced it as "s-h" (separate s and h sounds).

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2014, 01:38:54 PM »
I've been on all the sides of this question. It depends. I'm more likely to depend on a crowd sourced GPS than regular one. This is a dangerous neighborhood, this street floods, they have torn up X road because of construction and other safety warnings are very appropriate.

I use Waze on the Iphone. It used to tell me to turn left to get on 59 from work except that was a no left turn intersection. I was able to wave my hand in front of my Iphone and report that map issue via voice input. In less than 24 hours it was fixed. I can also use the same technique to report various hazards on the road. I probably report stalled cars and objects on the road at least once a day. Since Wazed is crowd sourced it saves me time and money. It changes my route home to go around a jam or accident at least once a week.

It actually warned me there was no road when I had it on going to our farm (We drive across a neighbor's land to get access to our property so we aren't on the road.)
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future