Author Topic: Baby Shower  (Read 2824 times)

Andicatt

Baby Shower
« on: November 14, 2013, 02:38:56 PM »
I'm going to be giving a baby shower in a few weeks.  I have co-hosted a baby shower with my sister two years ago.  During that shower, my sister bought all the gifts for the games we played.  She ended up buying things like mini sized baby shampoo, lotion, oil. etc.  Everything that was to be given to the winners of the games ended up being handed over to the new mom.  Is this normal?  I always thought that the gifts won during games were actually something the player could use.  Help!!!

Amara

Re: Baby Shower
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 02:45:26 PM »
I can't speak to baby showers, but I can tell you that gifts of lotions, shampoos, etc. that are given as gifts or prizes to me all get given away or thrown out. I use only fragrance-free products, very specific ones at that, and have no use for anything else. I am sorry because it was a waste on someone's part, but that won't make me use them. (For the record, I have no allergies. I just can't stand the stink of them.)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 02:47:51 PM »
That's my experience as well, that the prizes are a form of favor for the guests/present givers.

I think you can just decide unilaterally (you are the hostess! you are queen!) that this is what you want to do. Then choose prizes that fit that idea. Like, kitchen gadgets, or beauty products, etc. The less "baby" the gift, the more likely everybody will get the unspoken plan.

And then never offer any mechanism for "returning" them to the new mom. Also say things like, "you'll love having this!" or "for you!" nice and clear.

I've heard of people (guests) assuming that all prizes should be returned to the GoH, but you don't need to do that.

(also, don't twist yourself into knots trying to avoid all lotions, etc.; no prize will be perfect for everyone.)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 03:02:20 PM »
Are prizes essential where you live? 

I've been to a number of both bridal and baby showers where games were played, but they were just played for fun and entertainment.  I honestly don't recall a single time when "prizes" were given. 

For that matter, I don't remember the games even being set up to produce 'winners'.  Games would be more like:  Think up as many wedding related words as possible using only the letters of the bride's maiden name.  Then the results were shared with people crossing off words already suggested by others.  If one person had several additional words, everyone would say the equivalent of "Good job, Murgotrude!" but no prizes.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 03:22:38 PM »
I was at a coed baby shower once.  The baby was already on scene so it became a meet the baby party.  The hostess was quite creative in her games.  And the prizes went to the person who won the game, not to the baby mama.

I offer you this as a suggestion of a game:  The hostess bought, as her gift to the mom, all sorts of little things.  Socks, rattles, soothers, little baby toys, etc. and laid them out on a tray.  She then got the mom to walk around the room, showing the tray to everyone.  Then mom, and the tray, left the room.  Of course, we were all expecting to write down as many of the things on the tray as we could remember and we had all been memorizing as we were shown.  The hostess then said, 'Write down as much as you can remember about what mom was wearing.  Threw us all for a loop but it was fun.

Nothing annoys me more than winning a little prize and then being expected to turn it over to the GOH.  I won it; I'm keeping it!  And then the guilt trip starts.  Fortunately, most of my friends aren't like this and it has only happened once or twice.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 03:29:02 PM »

...   Nothing annoys me more than winning a little prize and then being expected to turn it over to the GOH.  I won it; I'm keeping it!  ...

;D   LOL!  Thank you for your honesty!  I think a lot of us might feel that way but would be afraid to admit it!! 

Andicatt

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 04:02:34 PM »
Thanks everyone!  This is actually a "meet the baby" party - my (first!!) granddaughter arrived Oct. 30 and she's the most beautiful baby in the world!   ;D   The "prizes" I've picked out are lotions and scented soaps - nothing you would want to put on a baby.  I'm defintely going to do the "baby stuff on a tray, what's the mom wearing"  - that's excellent!  I'm also going to give everyone 3 clothespins and every time someone says the word baby they loose a clothespin to the person who caught them and I'm going to get 5 different kinds of baby food, put some on individual plates and they have to guess what it is.   :)

lowspark

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 04:03:58 PM »
I've seen it done both ways and I agree: the prizes should be considered as party favors not as something to turn right back over to the GOH. If the host wants to give her baby shampoos and such, then include it in her gift. But if I win the game and then get a prize, all the fun gets sucked right out if I am then expected to turn the prize right over to someone else. Why bother with the prize at all in that case?

But you wanna know what I really think? Skip the games altogether. I never play games at showers I host. People are plenty busy eating and chatting and watching the GOH open gifts. Games are simply not needed, very few people really like them and they just make more work for the host. I've given a lot of showers and no one has ever come up afterwards and said "how come we didn't play games?"

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 04:09:05 PM »
Thanks everyone!  This is actually a "meet the baby" party - my (first!!) granddaughter arrived Oct. 30 and she's the most beautiful baby in the world!   ;D   The "prizes" I've picked out are lotions and scented soaps - nothing you would want to put on a baby.  I'm defintely going to do the "baby stuff on a tray, what's the mom wearing"  - that's excellent!  I'm also going to give everyone 3 clothespins and every time someone says the word baby they loose a clothespin to the person who caught them and I'm going to get 5 different kinds of baby food, put some on individual plates and they have to guess what it is.   :)

I don't think I'd do any more games.  The clothespin one doesn't really take any time because it is done while you are chatting with each other.  The tray one takes 5 minutes (unless you have a lot of people there).  I can see the baby food one taking you a lot of time to set up, though, putting food out on a separate plate for each guest, unless it is a smaller group.  I think it could be fun but you might not want to be pulled away from your guests for as long as this one might take to set up.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Andicatt

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 04:18:18 PM »
Not only is it meet the baby but meet the mommy too. Only a few of my FOO know the new mommy - I thought doing a few games might "break the ice".  I'll probably do away with the baby food one - that is a lot of time taken away.  If everyone would RSVP.... I'd have a better idea of how many will be there.  I think it's about 10 or so - not too overwhelming.    I just want to hold the baby again.   :)

lowspark

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 04:25:00 PM »
The last baby shower I hosted was a "meet the baby" party. And you know what everyone wanted to do? Hold the baby. Fortunately the mother was a-ok with that so it worked out fine. Between holding the baby and eating, there was really very little time left over except to watch Mom open gifts.

BigBadBetty

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 06:46:01 PM »
I have never been to a shower where you were supposed to turn over your prizes to the mother. I would be really annoyed if that happened. I find shower games painful enough. I would at least like the chance to be rewarded.

metallicafan

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 07:54:49 PM »

...   Nothing annoys me more than winning a little prize and then being expected to turn it over to the GOH.  I won it; I'm keeping it!  ...

I have never heard of having to return a prize to the GOH.  All the showers that I have ever been to, whomever won the prize kept it.

;D   LOL!  Thank you for your honesty!  I think a lot of us might feel that way but would be afraid to admit it!!

CakeEater

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2013, 07:05:49 AM »

She must be a completely awesome baby to have arrived on my birthday!

Andicatt

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2013, 08:36:05 AM »
She is awesome!   ;D