Author Topic: Baby Shower  (Read 2881 times)

cheyne

Re: Baby Shower
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2013, 10:14:23 AM »
I attended my first baby shower in years just 3 weeks ago.  I won the game for guessing the size of MTB's belly and was given a set of pot holders as a prize.  I was excited to get the pot holders, as one of mine was AWOL and the other was pretty ragged.  I made a comment to the MTB about what a nice prize they were.

The teenage daughter of another guest won the next game, was handed her prize by the hostess, then directly told by her mother, "Go give that gift to MTB".  When the teenager gave the MTB the prize she (teenager) had one, I felt like a complete idiot going on about the pot holders.  I did not say anything to anyone, but I felt rather bad.  I couldn't even give them to MTB later since I had said how much I liked them and would put them to use immediately.  At the time I felt I had really messed-up even though I had never been to a shower that the guests gave back their prizes to the GOH.

After thinking about it for a couple of days, I decided I wasn't rude to keep the pot holders.  I spent $60. on a baby gift and I don't feel bad about keeping a $4. set of pot holders.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2013, 10:32:28 AM »
I feel bad for the teenager!  With the gift being potholders, it is obviously not baby related and the hostess of the shower wasn't expecting you to give them to the MTB.  What did the teenager win?  Was it baby related?

I just don't get this mentality at all that all prizes have to be turned over to the GOH.  I've been to Stag and Does, Jack and Jills, whatever you want to call them, where they run games to win money or prizes.  The only reason I play the games is for the chance to win something.  If I can't keep what I win, I'm not paying to play.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

lilfox

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2013, 02:12:20 PM »
A friend threw a baby shower for me, I remember there were one or two quick and easy games - she supplied a few little gifts as prizes and none were handed over (or expected to be) to me.  Another shower I attended had some cute games including the tray one - I think we got bonus points if we could also write what the MTB was wearing, but the tray of items was definitely the main part.  I won one game and tied another, and there was no apparent pressure on any game-winners to give the prizes to the MTB.

So count me as another who would not only not expect to hand any prize back to the MTB, but would be really put off if the host or others "encouraged" that. 

On the games front, I do like the concept of having a few simple games planned, particularly if the attendees come from several different social circles, because they can work as an ice-breaker.  However, if the party is moving along and people are already really animated, I would save them for lulls in the conversation (and be ready to skip altogether if time runs short).

lowspark

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2013, 02:15:23 PM »
I just remembered this. At a shower years ago, the hostess presented the winner and the GOH with the same prize for each game. In other words, she had two of each prize so that it was clear the winner got to keep hers but the GOH also got one. That was much better than expecting or pressuring the winner to hand it over to the GOH.

lakey

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2013, 01:05:31 AM »
At showers I've attended, prizes won during games were meant for the winner to keep. There have been occasional times when some of the prizes were meant to be given to the GofH, but the directions were pretty clear. Also the prizes were the type of thing that the GofH would need.

By the way, it is tough finding inexpensive items that people might actually like. One hostess succeeded at this by giving small African Violet plants as prizes. I don't know what they cost now, but at that time you could get them for a couple dollars each.
She managed to find some really pretty ones.

Teenyweeny

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2013, 05:42:00 AM »
Not baby-shower related, but I'd always been told that it was bad form for the GOH to get a prize, even if they won it fair and square. The logic was that the GOH was already getting gifts, and shouldn't be greedy.

Why no, I'm not thinking of the time my mother made us do a replay of a game at my 5th birthday party because I won the prize. Not at all.  ;D

Mikayla

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2013, 02:44:11 PM »
I attended my first baby shower in years just 3 weeks ago.  I won the game for guessing the size of MTB's belly and was given a set of pot holders as a prize.  I was excited to get the pot holders, as one of mine was AWOL and the other was pretty ragged.  I made a comment to the MTB about what a nice prize they were.

The teenage daughter of another guest won the next game, was handed her prize by the hostess, then directly told by her mother, "Go give that gift to MTB".  When the teenager gave the MTB the prize she (teenager) had one, I felt like a complete idiot going on about the pot holders.  I did not say anything to anyone, but I felt rather bad.  I couldn't even give them to MTB later since I had said how much I liked them and would put them to use immediately.  At the time I felt I had really messed-up even though I had never been to a shower that the guests gave back their prizes to the GOH.

After thinking about it for a couple of days, I decided I wasn't rude to keep the pot holders.  I spent $60. on a baby gift and I don't feel bad about keeping a $4. set of pot holders.

Wow.  Just wow.

I'm glad you kept them, and that mom of MTB needs a muzzle.  Even if that was the original plan (which I think is pretty dodgy), she put both you and that poor teen in an incredibly awkward position, and that was completely out of line.

I'd love to know someday what the thought process is when people act like this. 

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2013, 04:52:01 PM »
^^^  If I had been the Guest of Honor at that shower, I would have said "Oh no!  The prizes are for the people who won them, not me!"

barefoot_girl

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2013, 10:11:16 AM »
^^^  If I had been the Guest of Honor at that shower, I would have said "Oh no!  The prizes are for the people who won them, not me!"

This is exactly what I thought - is the MTB not allowed to open her mouth or something during the party? If I was the GoH at my baby shower and people kept trying to hand me the little prizes, I think I'd be quite capable of saying "no, that's yours, you won it!"

TeamBhakta

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2013, 10:48:55 AM »
Sounds like my sister's shower:

One time I was a special snowflake. My sister's friends hosted a bridal shower for her. One of the activities was a word game. Each person had to read out their word list after time was called. I was the last person to read and I had 40 words, which was more than everyone else. So after I'm done reading, the hostess says something about "Good job guys. Everyone was so creative! And the winner of the prize is....(Bride to be), you won! Yay!" I was thinking "What ? She only came up with three words. That's lame, Hostess  ???" When the hostess pulled out the prize, the ugliest "free with purchase" candle and change purse that ever existed, I went "Okay, that prize was so not worth the special snowflake trip just now.  ;)"

Julsie

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2013, 06:10:48 PM »
Andicatt, congratulations on the new grandbaby!!  What a wonderful blessing!

I've never heard of the custom of giving the prizes to the GOH, therefore, it's wrong.  I'm with Teenyweeny.  It's bad form for the GOH to take the prizes because she is already the fortunate receiver of so many lovely gifts.

Mikayla

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2013, 12:13:01 PM »

Oh. But of course :)

I totally agree, but I can also see where the GOH might feel awkward over-ruling the hostess on *her* event and rules. 

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2013, 01:29:57 PM »
Thanks everyone!  This is actually a "meet the baby" party - my (first!!) granddaughter arrived Oct. 30 and she's the most beautiful baby in the world!   ;D   The "prizes" I've picked out are lotions and scented soaps - nothing you would want to put on a baby.  I'm defintely going to do the "baby stuff on a tray, what's the mom wearing"  - that's excellent!  I'm also going to give everyone 3 clothespins and every time someone says the word baby they loose a clothespin to the person who caught them and I'm going to get 5 different kinds of baby food, put some on individual plates and they have to guess what it is.   :)

I once made a baby shower host angry when I declined to take the clothespins. Why did I do this? Because I'd been to a shower for and by the same people before and, to be honest, people got downright obnoxious about this game (screaming and grabbing at the clothespins). I politely declined, but she took it very personally. So, as long as it's okay if someone declines to participate.

There's another game that I enjoyed; nursery rhymes with fill-in blanks. I aced that game.  :)