Author Topic: Opinions on school uniforms  (Read 11799 times)

CakeEater

Re: Opinions on school uniforms
« Reply #135 on: April 23, 2014, 06:03:03 PM »
I think that here there's less emphasis on being part of something here, schools are for learning things, not for building teams. Schools are still pretty equal, though unfortunately it's changing and a good school is one that offers special programs or languages or for high schools, one that has good test scores.

I believe there's evidence that students tend to learn better when part of a team.

Is that for smaller teams or the whole school? I think there's probably too much emphasis on learning facts and measurable skills and not enough on interpersonal relationships and teamwork and things like that (though our PISA results show that we're doing at least something right). Being neat and formal doesn't seem to be much of a priority.

Are you in Finland, Ereine? You're absolutely right - uniforms have not helped our country come anywhere close to the standards you guys are achieving. I'd gladly give up uniforms for those sorts of achievement levels. :)

katycoo

« Reply #136 on: April 23, 2014, 07:50:06 PM »
I think that here there's less emphasis on being part of something here, schools are for learning things, not for building teams. Schools are still pretty equal, though unfortunately it's changing and a good school is one that offers special programs or languages or for high schools, one that has good test scores.

I believe there's evidence that students tend to learn better when part of a team.

Is that for smaller teams or the whole school? I think there's probably too much emphasis on learning facts and measurable skills and not enough on interpersonal relationships and teamwork and things like that (though our PISA results show that we're doing at least something right). Being neat and formal doesn't seem to be much of a priority.

Both/either.  Its about fostering a sense of belonging and participation.

Margo

« Reply #137 on: April 24, 2014, 08:46:54 AM »
I'm in the UK - the first primary school I went to did not have a uniform, the second I went to, and the secondary school I went to, both did. I think there are benefits - although the uniform policy at secondary school was not enforced as strictly as some, so people were able to personalise their uniforms up to a point (for instance, officially girls were all supposed to wear navy blue a-line skirts - in practice, as long as the skirt was navy blue and fairly neat and tidy it would be allowed) It did not prevent some girls from being more fashionable or trendy than others, but it did make the differences much less obvious. The school did have some 'spare' uniforms (mostly things which people had failed to reclaim from lost property, some which were donated by leavers) and this did allow those who didn't have suitable uniform to be helped discreetly. I was completely unaware of this when I was a pupil, I only became aware of it when I was an adult, as my mother worked for the school. No one other than the child concerned would know, and the fact that the uniform was fairly standard meant it was not obvious if someone was wearing a 4 or 5 year old blazer, for instance.

it did 't prevent bullying (as I know to my cost)  but it did reduce the ways one could become a target.

At my school, we did not have to wear uniform in the 6th Form (6th form was age 17-18, and was after the end of compulsory school age) but we did have a dress code - as I recall, we were not allowed to wear denim (later they explicitly forbade leather, too!), sleeveless tops or short shorts or skirts.