Author Topic: 16 People On Things They Couldn’t Believe About America Until They Moved Here  (Read 46000 times)

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
That would depend on what tv you watch, and I generally distrust anything factual or documentary done by Americans unless it's about America. Somehow the Brits guve it more class.

Outside that and into shows...no, I completely disagree. It's television and movies that give people the wrong indignation in the first place.

I'm guessing that means you don't get Frontline.

US TV programs tend to show NYC and LA. That's not most of the country nor how most live.

As for non-white UK actors: Parminder Nagra, Idris Elba and Colin Salmon all jump to my mind.

Katana_Geldar

Never heard of Frontline, it's not on tv here but I rarely watch free to air these days. It's only cop shoes or reality shows.

Pay tv isn't worth getting either, and I confirmed it with someone who worked for a pay tv company.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
That would depend on what tv you watch, and I generally distrust anything factual or documentary done by Americans unless it's about America. Somehow the Brits guve it more class.

Outside that and into shows...no, I completely disagree. It's television and movies that give people the wrong indignation in the first place.

US TV programs tend to show NYC and LA. That's not most of the country nor how most live.

As for non-white UK actors: Parminder Nagra, Idris Elba and Colin Salmon all jump to my mind.

I looked up all  three. Nagra I recognize from ER. The other two I do not recognize at all nor have I ever watched the couple of shows they are known for. I just can't think of any non-Caucasian actor or singer who has risen to the level of Denzel Washington or a Beyoncé or a Eva Longoria.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)

I looked up all  three. Nagra I recognize from ER. The other two I do not recognize at all nor have I ever watched the couple of shows they are known for. I just can't think of any non-Caucasian actor or singer who has risen to the level of Denzel Washington or a Beyoncé or a Eva Longoria.

For me, Idris Elba is most notable for Heimdall, in the Thor movies.

Psychopoesie

I recognised all three once I googled their images - not good with actors' names.

Didn't know Idris Elba was British - had only seen him in The Wire.

Library Dragon

True. The calls from talk shows, interview shows, etc., 99% request participants from those metro areas. So, the morning show featuring the "Most Stressed Mom In America" will be someone from the NYC area. Applicants were only accepted from that location.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
In the US, PBS is pretty good at dealing with international news.  Frontline comes to mind although the Nightly News Hour is also good.  I also enjoy the weekly show on religion and ethics. 

Here in NYC, we can get a number of foreign news shows including Al Jezira.  It may take a bit of looking but they're there. 

Yvaine

• Super Hero!

It's not even how people live in NYC or LA.  ;D TV shows will show a character who's a waitress living in a huge apartment she'd never be able to afford on a waitress's salary, that sort of thing. A lot of shows have a big dollop of "fantasy" in them even if they look realistic in some ways.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well

It's not even how people live in NYC or LA.  ;D TV shows will show a character who's a waitress living in a huge apartment she'd never be able to afford on a waitress's salary, that sort of thing. A lot of shows have a big dollop of "fantasy" in them even if they look realistic in some ways.

That's not what I meant.  I live in a city of about a million. Cabs are not roaming freely with you able to just flag them down. We don't have a huge choice of delivery nor is it 24 hours. When I lived in Wausau, Wisconsin (population 40,000) we thought we were lucky we had a 24-hour grocery store. I don't shop in those little shops you're always seeing on Law & Order. We don't have freeways the way LA does.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Those little shops you see on Law & Order do exist and the show probably used the real thing.  Some are open odd hours that don't compete with other stores that are open normal hours.  I love my city.

Peppergirl

^^ I dearly love your city too, Venus.  I'd move there if I could.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Ouside Manhattan, yellow cabs can be rare.  If we're going to the airport we call a car service. 

Yes, Venus.  In our neighborhood  we have plenty of those little shops that are open at odd hours.  It's very convenient. When SIL and her DH visited back in the autumn, they were surprised at how handy everything was.   

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
I've only been to NYC once, but I loved it.  Fantastic city, fantastic people.

kckgirl

I've only been to NYC once, but I loved it.  Fantastic city, fantastic people.

Like!
Maryland

Library Dragon

DH is from NYC. I think of it as small towns that sit right next each other. Even within the same borough there are differences.  There's the favorite bagel place that competes with the neighborhoods other favorite bagel place.  People often live, shop, go to church/temple within a small geographic area. 

When I went to chaplains' assistant school at Ft. Wadsworth on Staten Island the neighborhood right off post was very much a small village and in many ways a world away from DH's old neighborhood in Brooklyn.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter