Author Topic: 16 People On Things They Couldn’t Believe About America Until They Moved Here  (Read 48693 times)

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
I reread this and I wonder if mostly the people they interviewed had been on the East Coast because I would think if they were in the Midwest or Texas that someone would have been surprised by tornado warnings and watches and how many there can be and how people (most people) do take warnings, watches and green skies seriously.

lowspark

Or for larger packages, you log onto the USPS website, enter the shipping weight and adress, create a mailing label and pay the postage online and then print it out and attached to your package. It's actually reduced postage cost for doing online. You can also alert the postman that you have it to pick up. Then you either leave by the front door or the postman will ring to collect it. We ship something weekly and haven't been to a post office in two years.

You must have a home business.  I don't.  I mail 5 packages/year, all around Christmas.  I take my packages to the Pack and Mail store 3 miles from my house.  Pack and Mail is a private business that sells boxes and bubble wrap and tape for mailing packages.  They will mail your package for you by USPS, UPS, or FedEx.  For that convenience you pay a little more than the shipping company charges.

I don't think you have to have a business to pay for postage online or for USPS to pick up your packages. They advertise all that on their website -- printing online and scheduling a free pick up. I'm thinking all you need is a credit card to set up an account with them just as with any other business online.

But yeah, you will have to package it up so if you want someone to supply the boxes, bubble wrap, tape, and do the labor, then taking it to a one of those pack-n-ship places is probably your best bet.

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
Re: 16 People On Things They Couldn’t Believe About America
« Reply #422 on: January 07, 2014, 09:15:53 AM »
I reread this and I wonder if mostly the people they interviewed had been on the East Coast because I would think if they were in the Midwest or Texas that someone would have been surprised by tornado warnings and watches and how many there can be and how people (most people) do take warnings, watches and green skies seriously.

As an East Coast native, West coast transplant, I wouldn't be surprised at all. I have lived through both earthquakes and hurricanes, but tornados are the one weather event that scares the heck out of me.

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
« Reply #423 on: January 07, 2014, 04:30:04 PM »

As an East Coast native, West coast transplant, I wouldn't be surprised at all. I have lived through both earthquakes and hurricanes, but tornados are the one weather event that scares the heck out of me.

We have some DF's from Germany who lived here in the Southeast for 2 years for work.  They were extremely concerned and always asking questions about:
1) Tornados
2) Poisonous Spiders and other potentially poisonous insects
3) Snakes
4) Poison Ivy/Sumac/Oak.

They were very outdoorsy, and really not used to have Nature trying to kill them.  (Or at least make them itch really bad)
                www.ellenseltz.com

Katana_Geldar

I thought it was Australia where nature tries to kill you. ;)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!

Both - Arizona has poisonous lizards that look like beaded hand bag fabric....same desert extends into parts of New Mexico, Texas, and Mexico.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #426 on: January 07, 2014, 04:55:39 PM »

We have some DF's from Germany who lived here in the Southeast for 2 years for work.  They were extremely concerned and always asking questions about:
1) Tornados
2) Poisonous Spiders and other potentially poisonous insects
3) Snakes
4) Poison Ivy/Sumac/Oak.

They were very outdoorsy, and really not used to have Nature trying to kill them.  (Or at least make them itch really bad)

Yeah, the Germans are lucky on that front. For a while, I lived in Germany with a friend who used a wood-burning stove as a major heat source for her house. She was continually amused by my insistence on carrying a flashlight to the woodpile at night rather than blindly sticking my hand in. However, she had also lived in the Southeast USA, so she understood that I was used to woodpiles being potential havens for dangerous snakes, spiders, etc.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry

Both - Arizona has poisonous lizards that look like beaded hand bag fabric....same desert extends into parts of New Mexico, Texas, and Mexico.

I prefer desserts to deserts.

iridaceae

Well yes and no. Where I live I am in the Sonoran Desert which does extend down into Mexico and also into California. It does not extend into New Mexico or Texas. It doesn't even cover all of Arizona. Not even all of Southern Arizona.

And Gila monsters are really pretty harmless. The general concensus is if one bites you you were more or less provoking it to and therefore deserve to be bitten.  You can usher one into a container with a broom.

But tornadoes? Yeah; look at before and after photos of Joplin Missouri.

Dazi

• like the flower

Florida has nature that tries to kills you too.  Off the top of my head, we've got gators, pygmy rattlesnakes, Eastern Diamond back rattlesnakes, coral snakes, water moccasins, pit vipers, scorpions, fire ants, black widow spiders, brown recluse spiders, stingrays, stone fish, jellyfish, lionfish, scorpionfish, stonefish, man-o-wars, bees/wasps/hornets, a variety of sharks, and a multitude of nasty stinging caterpillars.  Not to mention tornadoes, sink holes, tropical storms, and hurricanes.

I'm sure I've missed some things, but this gives you an idea.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
Just saw this series of photos about lighthouses on the Great Lakes in Michigan that have been completely frozen over from winter storms.  It's gorgeous and kind of amazing.  Everybody is talking over here about the "polar vortex" that is bringing so much cold weather (though my understanding is, this is no worse than we get every 10-20 years or so, not a game-changing event).

However, the astonishing thing, to me, is that this photographer goes out and shoots these same two lighthouses every year.  It's not the extreme weather this year - this happens every winter.  Yikes!  Glad I live 18 hours' drive South.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2534548/Michigan-lighthouse-transformed-giant-icicle-freezing-storm.html
                www.ellenseltz.com

iridaceae

Florida has nature that tries to kills you too.  Off the top of my head, we've got gators, pygmy rattlesnakes, Eastern Diamond back rattlesnakes, coral snakes, water moccasins, pit vipers, scorpions, fire ants, black widow spiders, brown recluse spiders, stingrays, stone fish, jellyfish, lionfish, scorpionfish, stonefish, man-o-wars, bees/wasps/hornets, a variety of sharks, and a multitude of nasty stinging caterpillars.  Not to mention tornadoes, sink holes, tropical storms, and hurricanes.

I'm sure I've missed some things, but this gives you an idea.

You missed that tree with the poisonous bark or spines or whatever it is that's in the Everglades.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
Just saw this series of photos about lighthouses on the Great Lakes in Michigan that have been completely frozen over from winter storms.  It's gorgeous and kind of amazing.  Everybody is talking over here about the "polar vortex" that is bringing so much cold weather (though my understanding is, this is no worse than we get every 10-20 years or so, not a game-changing event).

However, the astonishing thing, to me, is that this photographer goes out and shoots these same two lighthouses every year.  It's not the extreme weather this year - this happens every winter.  Yikes!  Glad I live 18 hours' drive South.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2534548/Michigan-lighthouse-transformed-giant-icicle-freezing-storm.html

We get a really cold winter every few years and a really really cold winter maybe every 20ish but these were record lows by like 9 degrees.  Getting to a real temperature of -14 f is the coldest day I can think of  , having a few to a dozen -1 - -5 days I can recall happening most winters.

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
When I was in Queensland, I was amazed by the wood houses.  On *stilts*, no less.  I had never seen a house with legs before.  An American friend told me some places in the southern US also have houses with legs.

Canadian houses mostly come with basements, because of the cold.

Houses on "stilts" (aka piles the size of telephone poles) are mandated by building code in coastal areas so that the storm surge from a hurricane can blow out the bottom laundry room/garage area but leave the main house area intact.   Every beach house we've ever rented was on piles. 

Ereine

I read an article about a Finnish firefighter who had done a work exchange thing in Florida. He talked about things that were different (in Finland fitness requirements are a lot harder apparently but he wasn't sure if they were necessary for everyone) and one of them was how involved the local firefighters were in their community. When they were in a grocery store people would come to thank them and bless them and treat them as heroes. He said that in Finland if he went to a store in his uniform someone would call the fire station and complain. It's probably true, there was someone in the comment section saying that of course fire fighters shouldn't be treated as heroes, all they do is sit at the fire station all day.