Author Topic: 16 People On Things They Couldn’t Believe About America Until They Moved Here  (Read 44227 times)

jmarvellous

Buttered popcorn from the movies should not be damp! It is a "butter flavor," generally. Some people add extra, which is probably a permanently liquid form of butter from a pump. I can barely handle the saltiness of the unadulterated stuff; extra would send me over the edge. But it's popular.

I know of some theaters that use actual melted butter, but they are the exception.

We make popcorn at home on the stove popped in vegetable oil and topped with dried herbs and spices and perhaps nutritional yeast or powdery Parmesan. Never butter.

GlitterIsMyDrug

I smother my popcorn at the movie theaters in that...butter esque stuff. I hate dry popcorn, too salty. The...butter stuff makes it less salty to me. I had one the last time I was at the movie he asked me if I wanted butter and I said "Oh, yes" in a very excited tone, and he LAYERED it. Oh I wanted to kiss him I was so happy. Layer of popcorn, butter, popcorn, butter, popcorn, butter, popcorn, then a little bit of butter on the top. He asked me "Good?" I just smiled said "Magnificent!" it was a wonderful moment.

I also like kettle corn. Which like salty/sweet. The microwave stuff is fine, but I like when it's that big kettle cooked stuff they have at festivals and such.

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
Buttered popcorn from the movies should not be damp! It is a "butter flavor," generally. Some people add extra, which is probably a permanently liquid form of butter from a pump. I can barely handle the saltiness of the unadulterated stuff; extra would send me over the edge. But it's popular.

I know of some theaters that use actual melted butter, but they are the exception.

We make popcorn at home on the stove popped in vegetable oil and topped with dried herbs and spices and perhaps nutritional yeast or powdery Parmesan. Never butter.

See, my DH is in your camp. Me, not so much. I like the occasional damp popcorn, and I looooove salt. We split the difference and I drizzle butter over and salt my bowlfuls after I dish it out - he adds pepper, chili powder and parm to his.

Once, he tried to make popcorn my way, and we wound up with something akin to popcorn-butter soup. I like butter but not that much! Just enough that there's a little greasy morsel here and there.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

Anniissa

Here's a silly small thing that occurred to me the other day: butter on popcorn. I love cinema popcorn, it's one of my favourite parts of going to see movies, but I've never seen popcorn with butter on it. I don't know what made me think of it but I am now very intrigued and will make a point of going to see a movie next time I'm in the US. Unless anyone knows anywhere in the UK that does buttered popcorn?

I've not seen any in a long time but I remember some of the bigger multiscreens in the UK doing buttered popcorn - it was hot melted liquid butter.  Rather delicious on the freshly popped corn but you'd have to eat it really quickly because it cooled rapidly and congealing cold butter is not really so pleasant!

The thing that I guess surprised me most about America when I first went was how insistent the servers were in restaurants that any uneaten food be boxed up to take away. Obviously, staying in hotels there was nowhere suitable to store the food and nowhere to reheat it even if we had wanted to eat it later. But even after politely declining, we kept being asked if we were sure or sometimes just had the boxed up food brought out to us and left on the table. It felt like we were offending the restaurant by not wanting to take the food away. Sometimes we were directly asked if there was something wrong with the food that we didnt want it.

Snooks

I've never got on with buttered popcorn, it tastes like cheese to me.

Margo

Yes, the boxing up food surprised me, too, although as the portions tend to be so large it makes a lot of sense.

Also, I want popcorn now. And I don't have any.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
Here's a silly small thing that occurred to me the other day: butter on popcorn. I love cinema popcorn, it's one of my favourite parts of going to see movies, but I've never seen popcorn with butter on it. I don't know what made me think of it but I am now very intrigued and will make a point of going to see a movie next time I'm in the US. Unless anyone knows anywhere in the UK that does buttered popcorn?

I've not seen any in a long time but I remember some of the bigger multiscreens in the UK doing buttered popcorn - it was hot melted liquid butter.  Rather delicious on the freshly popped corn but you'd have to eat it really quickly because it cooled rapidly and congealing cold butter is not really so pleasant!

The thing that I guess surprised me most about America when I first went was how insistent the servers were in restaurants that any uneaten food be boxed up to take away. Obviously, staying in hotels there was nowhere suitable to store the food and nowhere to reheat it even if we had wanted to eat it later. But even after politely declining, we kept being asked if we were sure or sometimes just had the boxed up food brought out to us and left on the table. It felt like we were offending the restaurant by not wanting to take the food away. Sometimes we were directly asked if there was something wrong with the food that we didnt want it.

Most hotels have some rooms with a little fridge and a microwave for the same price.  I always asked for them ahead of time.  Back when I was traveling for work, I was sooo over restaurants that relaxing microwaved leftovers were preferred over the original restaurant meal.  I used to order just a little extra to be able to make a full meal for the next day.  Like there was this taqueria in Hayward that served Super Nachos so loaded with stuff, that you ran out of chips first.  I would order some flour tortillas on the side and fill them with leftover nacho stuff the next day. 

demarco

Regarding butter on movie popcorn,  at some US theaters, they will ask you whether or not you want butter and if you do they put it on before they give you the bag.   They usually  fill the bag half full of popcorn then put some butter on, then put the rest of the popcorn in the bag, then put some more butter on.  Other places let you put on your own butter. Each method has its advantage.  The half bag method provides a more even butter distribution but putting your own butter on ensures that you get just the right amount of butter overall. 

I don't think it's ever really butter but rather some kind of yellow ooze. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Regarding butter on movie popcorn,  at some US theaters, they will ask you whether or not you want butter and if you do they put it on before they give you the bag.   They usually  fill the bag half full of popcorn then put some butter on, then put the rest of the popcorn in the bag, then put some more butter on.  Other places let you put on your own butter. Each method has its advantage.  The half bag method provides a more even butter distribution but putting your own butter on ensures that you get just the right amount of butter overall. 

I don't think it's ever really butter but rather some kind of yellow ooze. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

The price of movie theatre popcorn usually makes me turn away, but that "butter" smells vile to me.  I'd rather have my popcorn dry (crunchy) and salty.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
I used to love movie theater buttered popcorn. And now I'm going to sound really old.

But now the size of the poppers are much larger. And they shake way too much salt on it. And the liquid butter flavoring doesn't taste late butter to me. I'm so disappointed in the taste these days that the smell makes me a little ill.

I do still enjoy home popped popcorn tossed with real butter. And if you add some M&M's while it's still hot and they get a little warm.... yummmm.

demarco

I used to love movie theater buttered popcorn. And now I'm going to sound really old.

But now the size of the poppers are much larger. And they shake way too much salt on it. And the liquid butter flavoring doesn't taste late butter to me. I'm so disappointed in the taste these days that the smell makes me a little ill.

I agree that movie popcorn doesn't taste like it used to.  I find that it varies from place to place and I wonder if some theaters use popcorn that has been made remotely and shipped in, with predictable results.  Some years ago I observed a few huge bags of popped corn sitting on the floor behind the candy counter at one theater.  One of the theaters I go to has the popcorn already bagged for sale and sitting under heat lamps. There is no popper to be seen and their popcorn seems stale. I hope this doesn't become a trend. Movie popcorn is one of the few reasons I still go to theaters instead of waiting for the DVD. 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 11:23:56 PM by demarco »

dawbs

when the large chain theatres hand you popcorn w/o being buttery all the way through, they often have those yellow-ooze pumps.
They also often have self-serve fountain drinks.
A straw can help you layer your yellow ooze down into the container better, so it's not just on the top.

And with that, I want popcorn, and I have a bottle of 'extra fine butter flavored salt', so I"m set

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
In my experience the more independent and art housy the movie theater the more likely it is the popcorn butter is real butter.

Katana_Geldar

There's a movie theatre DH and I go to that's licensed.

katycoo

That's interesting.  We didn't experience that (though I'm sure if we had asked they would have).  Maybe we were in different areas of the country.