Author Topic: 16 People On Things They Couldn’t Believe About America Until They Moved Here  (Read 44313 times)

sunnygirl

I very occasionally see people in PJs in public (in London) - but only very young women, and only as a fashion trend (i.e. clean PJs put on that morning, and of a specific style - not PJs worn to sleep in).

For some reason everywhere I've ever lived (save the one year I lived in NY) had fitted carpet in the bathroom. My current flat had fitted carpet everywhere when I moved in, and I do mean everywhere, but I ripped it out of the kitchen and put down lino tiles, because eww. The bathroom is still carpeted. Doesn't go up the bath though.

lowspark

Quote from: RingTailedLemur on November 25, 2013, 11:13:23 AM
Quote from: Diane AKA Traska on November 25, 2013, 11:04:02 AM
Quote from: Katana_Geldar on November 25, 2013, 08:34:39 AM
Scotcat, is that why in the UK you can see carpet in bathrooms?

Carpet in bathrooms?  But, one toilet overflow and.. eep... :o

I've got Lino in mine but carpet is very common.
I've never seen a fully carpeted bathroom. I have throw rug and I've seen those. Is that what people are referring to?

No, actual full carpet throughout the bathroom. In extreme cases the side of the bath is carpeted as well. I think it was a late-70s / early 80s thing. Yhe bathroom in my house had carpet on the floor when I moved in.

I used to know a guy whose mother apparently had carpeting in her kitchen! Yeah, she didn't cook. At all. His wife was a super cook. Probably why he fell in love with her.  ;D

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
Quote from: RingTailedLemur on November 25, 2013, 11:13:23 AM
Quote from: Diane AKA Traska on November 25, 2013, 11:04:02 AM
Quote from: Katana_Geldar on November 25, 2013, 08:34:39 AM
Scotcat, is that why in the UK you can see carpet in bathrooms?

Carpet in bathrooms?  But, one toilet overflow and.. eep... :o

I've got Lino in mine but carpet is very common.
I've never seen a fully carpeted bathroom. I have throw rug and I've seen those. Is that what people are referring to?

No, actual full carpet throughout the bathroom. In extreme cases the side of the bath is carpeted as well. I think it was a late-70s / early 80s thing. Yhe bathroom in my house had carpet on the floor when I moved in.

When we first moved into the house, I carpeted the bathroom that the kids would be using.  It was just a big square of carpeting with rubberized backing and you cut it with a utility knife or scissors to fit around the toilet base and the cabinet of the sink. 

I loved it then because it was soft and squishy and the kids (very little kids) didn't slide all around when I got them out of the tub and was warmer than the ceramic tile floor it covered.  It was color coordinated to the shower curtain.   :)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 09:34:06 AM by gramma dishes »

C0mputerGeek

• C0mputerGeek
No, actual full carpet throughout the bathroom. In extreme cases the side of the bath is carpeted as well. I think it was a late-70s / early 80s thing. The bathroom in my house had carpet on the floor when I moved in.

Okay. Wow. It's not even the toilet I would worry about (I don't have a septic tank), but the carpet getting moldy. My shower and bathtub have leaked more than once. I cannot imagine how often the carpet in a bathroom/kitchen would have to be cleaned...

squeakers

The house we rented as newlyweds had a carpeted bathroom.  And I mean carpeted: the whole floor, the sides of the tub and up the walls. I hated it because we lived on a main road so had tons of dust to contend with which meant also vacuuming the tub and walls.

As far as popcorn goes we have one of these: http://www.furniturefashion.com/home_theatre_popcorn_machines/ which makes much better popcorn than the microwave stuff we used to do.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Please tell me it's the sides of the outside of the tub...

squeakers

Lol .. yeah, the outside.  Though I suppose one could sell an astroturf kind of carpet for inside of tubs as a "safety" feature.

The tub was an old fashioned clawfoot tub that had been encased with a wooden frame and the frame was covered in carpet.  So where you had the rounded rim that normally you'd grab to get up and out of it your fingertips would be brushing carpet. 

It did make for a warm bathroom but keeping toddlers from splashing let alone getting out and running dripping wet was a nightmare.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

KB

Presumably yes, something like this. Google has some other lovely images of you search for 'carpeted bathroom.'

squeakers

This is about what the bathroom looked like but the carpet was burgundy and the carpeting only went 3/4 of the way up the wall. http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/c4/17/f4/c417f4f0aa0bbf6aa4df88803afe240a.jpg

It was a rental so nothing I could do about it but shake my head.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
I only ever make popcorn in a saucepan with a lid. I heat some oil, chuck in a handful of popping corn and apply heat. Hey presto popcorn. Microwaved popcorn doesn't taste right.

Victoria

Diane AKA Traska

This is about what the bathroom looked like but the carpet was burgundy and the carpeting only went 3/4 of the way up the wall. http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/c4/17/f4/c417f4f0aa0bbf6aa4df88803afe240a.jpg

:o

Shea

I had an air popper once, a loooong time ago. I hated it. Since I didn't need to add any oil the popcorn was dry and the salt wouldn't stick to it. I ended up having to add butter to the popcorn which defeated the (no fat) purpose of the air popper. I got rid of it.

I find that if salt is wanted, a spritz of spray oil is enough to get it to stick.

I have an air popper, and I use one of those oil misters to give the popcorn a light, even coating of oil (I use a mix of olive and canola). It's enough to give it flavor, and to make the salt and yeast (my popcorn toppers of choice) stick.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

Margo

Ha! I've never seen one where the carpet went up the wall as well as the outside of the tub.

I always associate it mentally with bathrooms which have one of  those knitted dolls as a toilet roll cozy...

Dazi

• like the flower

Ha! I've never seen one where the carpet went up the wall as well as the outside of the tub.

I always associate it mentally with bathrooms which have one of  those knitted dolls as a toilet roll cozy...

Can I just tell all y'all that those dolls always totally freaked me out.  When I was really little, I couldn't go if one was "watching me".
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Diane AKA Traska

Can I just tell all y'all that those dolls always totally freaked me out.  When I was really little, I couldn't go if one was "watching me".

And seriously, what's the point?  I mean, I wouldn't leave a naked roll of TP on the coffee table, but in the bathroom?  What do these people think people *do* in there?