Author Topic: 16 People On Things They Couldn’t Believe About America Until They Moved Here  (Read 47569 times)

Yvaine

• Super Hero!

There are worse things than those toilet paper cozies.

Having one of those dolls show up wearing a birthday cake as her skirt and a strapless icing corset top....

Seriously - those freaked me out worse than the toilet paper cozies...
wait what?

Ahem.... Click Here

I had one of those Dolly Varden cakes for my 9th? birthday. A friend of the family made it for me as a surprise. Absolutely loved that cake (helped that the cake bit was chocolate). Still gives me the warm fuzzies whenever I remember it.  :)

I always wanted one of those doll cakes, though I was bummed out when I learned that it's not a "whole" doll in there but a half doll with a spike instead of legs.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!

I always wanted one of those doll cakes, though I was bummed out when I learned that it's not a "whole" doll in there but a half doll with a spike instead of legs.

Barbie has such long skinny legs anyway, why couldn't you just stick the whole doll down in there?  It wouldn't be that much different from a spike.   :)

magicdomino

Barbie has such long skinny legs anyway, why couldn't you just stick the whole doll down in there?  It wouldn't be that much different from a spike.   :)

I've seen that done, often on bundt-type cakes where there is a convenient hole in the center.  I've also seen them on Cake Wrecks because Barbie's long hair is trailing in the frosting.   :P

Yvaine

• Super Hero!

Probably because the half doll is cheaper, but if you're giving a Barbie anyway as a gift, I don't see why not stick it in the cake.  ;D Or get a cheapie fake Barbie from the dollar store, which still has more "re-play" value than the spike doll.

Psychopoesie

It's quite a while since that 9th birthday cake but I'm pretty sure it was the whole doll (not a barbie either). The place where I grew up wouldn't have sold spiky cake dolls. Pretty sure they used a pudding tin for the cake to get the shape of the skirt. Plus I would've remembered if the doll was cut in half like there'd been some horrible baking accident.  :)

With the kitsch toilet dolls - these were a common decoration from my childhood. One of my aunts made them as gifts (along with a whole heap of other crafty stuff). She was a total neat freak and I'm sure any doll she made would have germ repelling properties.   ;)

I'm sort if disappointed I didn't end up with one although I have heaps of lovely covered coat hangers thanks to her.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
I admit to once, only once, making a Barbie (fairy) cake.  There's a special cake tin that makes the bell skirt in one piece.  The little girl loved it.

The tin also makes a great booby cake too.   ;D

The crocheted and knitted TP covers bring back memories.  Ghastly things!  They always looked dusty and grimy and a little bit kooky.  Older Aunts were particularly fond of them.  Even worse, the crocheted or knitted bit was often done with that horrible nylon ribbon yarn stuff. 

I must admit though, the Barbie on the throne one tempts me... 

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!

...   The crocheted and knitted TP covers bring back memories.  Ghastly things!  ...

Oh!  That reminds me.  When I was little they also made Kleenex box covers like that.  I always thought "Ewww ... someone blew their nose in one and then grabbed the box with one hand to hold it still to pull out another tissue. 
Ewww ...!!"

Katana_Geldar

We have my grandma a tissue box cover for Christmas. But it was made of cage and had Chrustmas goodies in them.

I really don't like the plastic streamers they have over the doors of fish and chip shops to discourage flies. They're usually greasy.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
We have my grandma a tissue box cover for Christmas. But it was made of cage and had Chrustmas goodies in them.

I really don't like the plastic streamers they have over the doors of fish and chip shops to discourage flies. They're usually greasy.

plastic streamers???  they don't use air?

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century

The time I did it, my cake wasn't quite deep enough, so I had to trim Barbie's legs. I just bought a $5 Barbie from the supermarket.

Victoria

Psychopoesie

Sort of like this. Although the ones I remember best were a bit narrower and less see through.

http://www.premierplastics.com.au/premflex.php

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!

Sort of like this. Although the ones I remember best were a bit narrower and less see through.

http://www.premierplastics.com.au/premflex.php

That's really interesting.  Most place I visit use air.  Walmart has those massive blowers at the entrance.  But even small shops have plug in air blowers that sit on top of the door and prevent insects from coming in.  They're not that great at regulating the temperature, but work really well for bugs

Katana_Geldar

Most places that use these are rather small and don't have air conditioning.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!

Ah, I think we may be talking about two different things.  What I'm talking about is not air conditioning.  It is a horizontal fan that sits on top of the door and blows air down and out.  It's not super strong, but its strong enough to prevent bugs from flying through it.  Even the small convenience stores in my area have them.  And most of those stores don't have a/c

GlitterIsMyDrug

Ah, I think we may be talking about two different things.  What I'm talking about is not air conditioning.  It is a horizontal fan that sits on top of the door and blows air down and out.  It's not super strong, but its strong enough to prevent bugs from flying through it.  Even the small convenience stores in my area have them.  And most of those stores don't have a/c

Is that with that big blast of air thing is for? I never knew that!