General Etiquette > Life...in general

"But he's not dead yet!"

<< < (2/3) > >>

m2kbug:
Is it standard practice for the hospital to send this type of material to the bereaved?  I think a heads-up to DM or corporate might be a good idea in that before material like that goes out, they need to double check and be sure this material is even warranted.  I can't imagine how well books like this would go over with other families and patients when no one actually passed away or isn't anywhere near it.  This doesn't need to turn into an "issue," but sometimes people need some reminders.  A mistake just got made.

Otherwise, if this was personal with the DM and staff, I think I would be more likely to not say anything unless it came up at some point.  A book about grief can be useful beforehand too, so just take it as a kind gesture?

Promise:
I'd leave it alone. If someone asks you about him, you can share about how wonderful that he recovered. I'd still send a thank you, but I wouldn't embarrass anyone about this. It was a kind gesture.

yokozbornak:

--- Quote from: m2kbug on November 15, 2013, 10:11:51 PM ---Is it standard practice for the hospital to send this type of material to the bereaved?  I think a heads-up to DM or corporate might be a good idea in that before material like that goes out, they need to double check and be sure this material is even warranted.  I can't imagine how well books like this would go over with other families and patients when no one actually passed away or isn't anywhere near it.  This doesn't need to turn into an "issue," but sometimes people need some reminders.  A mistake just got made.

Otherwise, if this was personal with the DM and staff, I think I would be more likely to not say anything unless it came up at some point.  A book about grief can be useful beforehand too, so just take it as a kind gesture?

--- End quote ---

This wasn't from a hospital, but from my place of work.  I think it was just a kind gesture from a confused co-worker.  I haven't worked for this organization very long, and I was at a satellite office so I spent very little time in the main corporate office.  The note was very specific and mentioned how sorry she was for the loss, etc.

kareng57:

--- Quote from: yokozbornak on November 15, 2013, 08:51:35 PM ---
--- Quote from: girlmusic on November 15, 2013, 08:04:15 PM ---Anyone else thinking of Monty Python right now?? "I'm not dead!"

--- End quote ---

I was totally going for that! 

I am not sure what role this lady plays in the organization so I may find out before sending anything.  It was truly a kind and thoughtful gesture which is why I am reluctant to say anything, but at the same time, it feels wrong to not acknowledge that she reached out to me and I can't do that without correcting her.

--- End quote ---

I think a note such as sweetonsno suggested would be perfect.  It was a thoughtful gesture and therefore deserves some acknowledgement, but you still want to set the record straight.

I think it was an honest miscommunication - IMO there's little to be gained by going to Corporate to track down how this happened.

yokozbornak:

--- Quote from: kareng57 on November 15, 2013, 11:13:05 PM ---
--- Quote from: yokozbornak on November 15, 2013, 08:51:35 PM ---
--- Quote from: girlmusic on November 15, 2013, 08:04:15 PM ---Anyone else thinking of Monty Python right now?? "I'm not dead!"

--- End quote ---

I was totally going for that! 

I am not sure what role this lady plays in the organization so I may find out before sending anything.  It was truly a kind and thoughtful gesture which is why I am reluctant to say anything, but at the same time, it feels wrong to not acknowledge that she reached out to me and I can't do that without correcting her.

--- End quote ---

I think a note such as sweetonsno suggested would be perfect.  It was a thoughtful gesture and therefore deserves some acknowledgement, but you still want to set the record straight.

I think it was an honest miscommunication - IMO there's little to be gained by going to Corporate to track down how this happened.

--- End quote ---

I never suggested that I was going to corporate to complain or say anything so I am not sure where that idea came from.  I also mentioned that I thought it was a kind gesture. I am trying to figure out how to handle it to ensure the least amount of awkwardness now and in the future since there is a possibility I will run into this person in the future.  I only suggested that I might try to find out her position in the company to figure out the likelihood of running into her if I am at the corporate office at some point (i.e. if she is a weekend employee, the likelihood of me running into her is very slim).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version