Hostesses With The Mostest > Entertaining and Hospitality

Borrow dishes from guests? Update reply 29

<< < (2/7) > >>

sparksals:
I wouldn't loan out my good dishes, even to a good friend. Just too much room for an accident and harmed relations.

You can rent dishes very inexpensively. 

cicero:

--- Quote from: sparksals on November 16, 2013, 01:07:58 PM ---I wouldn't loan out my good dishes, even to a good friend. Just too much room for an accident and harmed relations.

--- End quote ---
I wouldn't either. I wouldn't borrow dishes either. Either buy new plates or use nice disposables.

ETA : I don't think it's rude to ask if you can borrow the dishes, as long as *you* are the ones doing any of the shlepping/washing etc (IOW - don't make your guests have any additional work). But personally i wouldn't do it.

sparksals:
I think it is a bit rude to ask.  I know many think asking isn't rude, but I am in the camp that it puts the askee into a very awkward position and feeling uncomfortable if she has to say no. 

gramma dishes:
I don't think asking to borrow dishes is a bad thing.  I'd personally happily loan you some of mine. 

But I do think it's probably unwise to borrow someone else's "best" dishes -- especially if they exactly match yours.  Too much opportunity for mishap or mixup!

How about matching dishes for each individual table?

TootsNYC:
I'd loan them!

Especially if there's still a possibility of being able to replace a plate if it's chipped or ruined.

But I'll also say, I have two separate sets, and I use them on different tables.

If you think you might seriously have these many people, and had thought of buying, then maybe go look for a set that will *coordinate* nicely with the set you have, and then you can mix and match!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version