A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

Australians should embrace tipping culture?

(1/13) > >>

Katana_Geldar:
Saw this link and it had me shaking my head.

http://www.news.com.au/business/worklife/australians-tipping-more-than-ever-before-according-to-university-of-melbourne-study/story-e6frfm9r-1226762105086

It is nice that more people are tipping, but that doesn't mean we should make it mandatory like in the US. We give people a good basic living wage so there's no need to beg for tips, it's extra for very good service (and I have given tips for this).

What do you guys think? If an employee is given a good wage, do you think it should be necessary to tip them too for average or poor service?

menley:
Oy. If I expressed my true thoughts, the thread would likely be closed due to ranting :) So let me just say that when people are paid a sufficient wage, tipping should be reserved to those cases where someone truly provided exceptional service, and that this should be completely optional and at the discretion of the tipper.

Lindee:
Dreadful idea. I think the american tipping model is a nightmare and I hate it whenever I visit there, please don't start it here.

gramma dishes:

--- Quote from: menley on November 17, 2013, 07:56:51 AM ---Oy. If I expressed my true thoughts, the thread would likely be closed due to ranting :) So let me just say that when people are paid a sufficient wage, tipping should be reserved to those cases where someone truly provided exceptional service, and that this should be completely optional and at the discretion of the tipper.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Lindee on November 17, 2013, 04:28:21 PM ---Dreadful idea. I think the american tipping model is a nightmare and I hate it whenever I visit there, please don't start it here.

--- End quote ---

I agree totally with Menley and also with Lindee, except that I DO live here, but I agree it's a nightmare!

sammycat:

--- Quote from: Lindee on November 17, 2013, 04:28:21 PM ---Dreadful idea. I think the american tipping model is a nightmare and I hate it whenever I visit there, please don't start it here.

--- End quote ---

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've never tipped here, and I never, ever, will. It's up to the employer to pay their workers' wages, not the customer.

Between working out tips and tax, eating out in the US is a nightmare on our holidays.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version