Author Topic: Australians should embrace tipping culture?  (Read 4050 times)

Katana_Geldar

Australians should embrace tipping culture?
« on: November 17, 2013, 07:53:31 AM »
Saw this link and it had me shaking my head.

http://www.news.com.au/business/worklife/australians-tipping-more-than-ever-before-according-to-university-of-melbourne-study/story-e6frfm9r-1226762105086

It is nice that more people are tipping, but that doesn't mean we should make it mandatory like in the US. We give people a good basic living wage so there's no need to beg for tips, it's extra for very good service (and I have given tips for this).

What do you guys think? If an employee is given a good wage, do you think it should be necessary to tip them too for average or poor service?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 07:58:22 AM by Katana_Geldar »

menley

Re: Australian should embrace tipping culture?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 07:56:51 AM »
Oy. If I expressed my true thoughts, the thread would likely be closed due to ranting :) So let me just say that when people are paid a sufficient wage, tipping should be reserved to those cases where someone truly provided exceptional service, and that this should be completely optional and at the discretion of the tipper.

Lindee

Re: Australians should embrace tipping culture?
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 04:28:21 PM »
Dreadful idea. I think the american tipping model is a nightmare and I hate it whenever I visit there, please don't start it here.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 04:44:48 PM »
Oy. If I expressed my true thoughts, the thread would likely be closed due to ranting :) So let me just say that when people are paid a sufficient wage, tipping should be reserved to those cases where someone truly provided exceptional service, and that this should be completely optional and at the discretion of the tipper.

Dreadful idea. I think the american tipping model is a nightmare and I hate it whenever I visit there, please don't start it here.

I agree totally with Menley and also with Lindee, except that I DO live here, but I agree it's a nightmare!

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 04:46:51 PM »

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've never tipped here, and I never, ever, will. It's up to the employer to pay their workers' wages, not the customer.

Between working out tips and tax, eating out in the US is a nightmare on our holidays.

katycoo

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 04:50:55 PM »
I, as with most Australians, tip when its called for.  Otherwise, people will often leave their coins if paying in cash.  And that's about it.

Market deregulation isn't going to get rid of the Federal Minimum Wage.
Insiders have declared it is time Australia embraced the American gratuity system in a bid to lift the standards of hotels and restaurants and boost employee pay packets.

Pah.  People who work hard and provide exceptional service already get recognised for that effort with tips.  Noone wants to end up ina  situation where you are obligated to 'tip' for poor or barely adequate service.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 04:53:48 PM »
I actually tipped fairly recently, when the server at a pasta bar helped me choose a menu item that was a creamy sauce without raw egg or soft cheese. The sauce had ham in it which he offered to remove too as I couldn't eat that either. I tipped him a few dollars in the tip jar, it was worth it as he helped me a lot.

And they're the sort of things I tip for. Like the cab driver who helped us move Ikea boxes from his van to the garage or the porter at the hotel who helped us when we had lots of bags and parcels on our wedding night. This is exceptional service and I don't mind rewarding.

And when on a cruise, I like to prepay tips and then add on top. It's easier.

And they better not do anything about the minimum wage. There will be consequences.

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 05:12:40 PM »
Insiders have declared it is time Australia embraced the American gratuity system in a bid to lift the standards of hotels and restaurants and boost employee pay packets.

I eat out a lot and have stayed in hotels all over the world. I can't say I've seen a difference in service between tipping and non tipping countries.  Most are pretty equal, with the occasional very good or very bad experience.  I've always found Australian service to be very high so I don't know where the writer got the notion that standards here have to be lifted.

I love the fact that when I go out to eat here, the price listed on the menu is the total price I have to pay. Having to muck about working out tax plus tip on top of that makes eating out in the US very unpleasant. I like to know that if I've got $10 to spend, then I can afford to buy the $9.95 menu item, not have to think 'oh wait, by the time I add tax and a tip, it's going to cost $12, so I can really only afford the $7 item instead'.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 07:56:29 PM »

As an American, I think this is spot on. The only reason servers get tipped here is because they DON'T make a living wage.

Pay your people, save tips for over & above situations.
"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

violetminnow

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 08:03:48 PM »
American here. Run far and fast from tipping! :)

I wouldn't recommend instituting tipping to anyone. Considering how heated threads here and elsewhere can be I'd say they're bad for our overall happiness. Some people get petty about service and "punish" their server, some are cheap and try to find excuses to not tip, some people overtip as an ego boost so they can feel better than others, and servers get to either feel bad that they didn't do well enough or resentful because they did but were being held to crazy unreasonable standards by someone who didn't really want to tip. I tip, but I think it's a bad system.

turnip

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 08:12:51 PM »
I'll also add that studies have shown that there is a lot of troubling 'discrimination' that goes on in tipping.  Your gender, race, physical appearance, etc., can make vasts amounts of difference in the amount you are tipped - all other factors being equal.   It puts kind of nasty face on the whole thing, IMO.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 08:26:20 PM »
I think the fact that on EH, with a very large proportion of US posters, still has regular threads on tipping is very telling on how overall confusing and contentious the issue can be.

I know during my trip to the US I was in a constant state of anxiety re tipping - too much, not enough, who to tip etc. 

If the US residents, who live with tipping every day, get confused, what hope for the rest of us?  :P

Library Dragon

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2013, 08:57:11 PM »
American here. Run far and fast from tipping! :)

I wouldn't recommend instituting tipping to anyone. Considering how heated threads here and elsewhere can be I'd say they're bad for our overall happiness. Some people get petty about service and "punish" their server, some are cheap and try to find excuses to not tip, some people overtip as an ego boost so they can feel better than others, and servers get to either feel bad that they didn't do well enough or resentful because they did but were being held to crazy unreasonable standards by someone who didn't really want to tip. I tip, but I think it's a bad system.

POD

I tip average to well because I know servers depend in tips.  But, there are so many others that provide services that aren't tipped and end up making less than the waitstaff at an upscale restaurant.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Bluenomi

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2013, 10:44:43 PM »
No tipping please! It's an added complication you don't need when eating out.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2013, 10:53:56 PM »

I am an American, and I completely agree! I used to wait tables, and one of my bosses used to brag that he got away with paying us really low wages -  $2.15 an hour.