Author Topic: Australians should embrace tipping culture?  (Read 5093 times)

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
Re: Australians should embrace tipping culture?
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2014, 07:45:44 AM »
No. No, we shouldn't. :o
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Froslass

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2014, 08:48:32 AM »
I can't see Aussies ever really "taking" to tipping.  It's just not done unless circumstances are exceptional.  I think adult wage for restaurant staff is around $26 an hour?  Plus time and a half/double time in certain circumstances.

I'd love to work somewhere that would pay me that much! :) I'm an Australian working in a restaurant and I make around $11 an hour - that being said, I definitely don't think that we should embrace the tipping culture.

katycoo

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2014, 08:17:08 PM »
I can't see Aussies ever really "taking" to tipping.  It's just not done unless circumstances are exceptional.  I think adult wage for restaurant staff is around $26 an hour?  Plus time and a half/double time in certain circumstances.

I'd love to work somewhere that would pay me that much! :) I'm an Australian working in a restaurant and I make around $11 an hour - that being said, I definitely don't think that we should embrace the tipping culture.

Your should check your award then - that seems very low.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2014, 08:33:23 PM »
The Federal minimal wage is about $16, is there a reason you're not getting this?

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2014, 10:52:51 PM »
Tipping allows an embedded discrimination in US culture - minority/overweight/disabled/non-conventionally-good-looking people can't be discriminated against directly, but they can be statistically undertipped by a significant percentage of their customers.  It has the same effect - they don't get paid as much as the pretty, thin, white, able-bodied servers do.  And unfortunately, it's a difficult discrimination to fight, since any individual server may earn more than another - so if you don't make enough tips, it's easy for someone else to say "You should have been working harder!" instead of "You should be better looking!"

Froslass

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2014, 12:48:14 AM »
The Federal minimal wage is about $16, is there a reason you're not getting this?

Honestly, I'm not sure, but I have a few friends who work in different restaurants and they all make between $10-$12. I don't know why it's so low but it seems universal.

Iris

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2014, 01:07:32 AM »

Honestly, I'm not sure, but I have a few friends who work in different restaurants and they all make between $10-$12. I don't know why it's so low but it seems universal.

Are you young? There is a minimum 'youth wage' that is lower than the minimum, but every young person I know in a proper restaurant gets about $20 per hour, so I'd watch for dirty work. You may find this link useful http://www.fairwork.gov.au/pay/pay-rates-calculator/pages/default.aspx.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2014, 01:26:49 AM »
Ask what award you're employed under, that has the right pay rate. Are you full time, part time or casual? If you're casual, you're being underpaid.

veryfluffy

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2014, 10:29:48 AM »
I read the threads not just about restaurants, but almost everyone in the service industry that you come into contact with, and it's scary!

Are there any Americans who think the tipping system there is wonderful?

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2014, 10:58:32 AM »

Among my friends and colleagues, I don't know of one person who likes the tipping system. But my friends and colleagues are all salaried and none of us work in an industry that earns tips, so I don't know what waiters/waitresses would say.

menley

« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2014, 11:19:53 AM »
I read the threads not just about restaurants, but almost everyone in the service industry that you come into contact with, and it's scary!

I worked for someone who waited tables to pay his way through college and he loved the tipping culture because he was very good and worked at a very high-end restaurant, so the tips he earned were hefty. He also (illegally...) kept most of his tips off his income tax form as they were often paid in cash (he said it was not at all unusual to be slipped a $100 bill as people left their tables).

For the majority of the people I know, they are split in two camps. People who did the above LOVE the tipping system and would fight desperately to keep it.  People who either have never waited tables, or people who have waited tables in a restaurant or environment where they don't receive good tips or have to pass on tips to the busboy, kitchen, bartender, etc., HATE the system and would get rid of it with a fingersnap if they could. There's rarely in-between opinions amongst my crowd.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2014, 03:56:37 PM »

Among my friends and colleagues, I don't know of one person who likes the tipping system. But my friends and colleagues are all salaried and none of us work in an industry that earns tips, so I don't know what waiters/waitresses would say.

I loved working for tips. Some shifts were bad, but it evened out over time to a very good income. I worked my butt off, and while I might have had a slight advantage being young and relatively attractive, several of the higher earners at my job were neither. It's a great job if you have the right personality for it, and most people I know who liked it enough to stick with it for a while would say the same.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2014, 05:12:53 PM »

I loved working for tips. Some shifts were bad, but it evened out over time to a very good income. I worked my butt off, and while I might have had a slight advantage being young and relatively attractive, several of the higher earners at my job were neither. It's a great job if you have the right personality for it, and most people I know who liked it enough to stick with it for a while would say the same.

From a customer stand point I think the issue is ,its an obligation for me to tip 20% or the waitperson receives virtually no compensation.  20 years ago minimum wage was about $3.15 a hour I believe the service industry was $1.15  (you could also buy groceries for $25 a week , find a 2 bedroom apt for $360 heat and water included, gas was less then a dollar a gallon , heath insurance was $40 a month for great coverage. So minimum wage was at least close to a living wage) So a waitperson could live with a roommate getting only $16 in tips per day.  Now they need $40 in tips to get to minimum wage and $80 to get to a living wage. When a waitperson needed to make $2 in tips in a hour I felt I could tip very little for poor service now I don't fee like less then 15% is an option, I feel the most pressure in the least expensive places and the least busy.

Maybe I'm miss-remembering it but I don't think restaurant prices have consistently increased by 500%. I'm throwing that out there because if breakfast and coffee for 2 was $5 20 years ago and its now $10  at 20% tips the waitperson needs to serve 3 tables for 2 to get to minimum wage and 6 to get to a living wage per hour vs needed to serve 2 for min and 3 for living wage 20 years ago. That's not account for splitting tips, with busyboys (who I think do earn minimum wage ) cooks , hostess etc.

I don't think tipping is evil I think not paying a real base wage is.

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2014, 09:46:03 PM »
I'm American and I have no problem with tipping in general. I *do* have a problem with the fact that the restaurant industry (in most states) is allowed to pay servers less than minimum wage because they get tips. It should not be *my* job as a customer to make sure *your* employees are paid a living wage, Mr./Ms. Restaurant Owner.

Here in the U.S. it's also customary to tip hairdressers, bellboys, hotel maids and taxi drivers. But all those jobs pay minimum wage or more. I don't understand why the restaurant industry gets away with being the exception, and it's not a system I'd wish on Australia, or anywhere else.

(For the record, I'm a good tipper, and I would continue to tip well even if servers weren't forced by the system to rely on tips the way they are now.)

My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

gollymolly2

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2014, 09:53:14 PM »
I'm another American who doesn't mind the tipping system. There are definitely some confusing situations like when you're not sure whether/how much to tip in new situations (like your first time dealing with carpet cleaners, say). But otherwise, I find it very easy to calculate 20% and add it to my bill. It takes me almost no time at all. And I think it actually often benefits restaurant workers, who I think often end up making way more than minimum wage (I certainly did, and I didn't work at particularly fancy places). I think with tipping, workers end up getting to keep a higher percentage of the bill than they would if restaurants just raised prices by 20% and paid servers a standard wage.

I'm not saying tipping is perfect or other cultures should adopt it, but I don't mind it at all and in fact I think it often benefits both the workers and guests.