Author Topic: Temptation vs. willpower  (Read 6060 times)

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
Re: Temptation vs. willpower
« Reply #90 on: December 10, 2013, 05:47:54 AM »
I know I've seen the suggestion that Op bake elsewhere but I was wondering Op if your husband ever chose to leave when you are baking?  I keep thinking if it's such a temptation why doesn't he request some warning and choose to leave?  My hunch is he hangs out in the house being tempted by the cookies so he has an excuse to eat them and not be accountable for his choices.

Well, if the husband works from home he may not be able to just leave whenever he wants.

Fleur

« Reply #91 on: December 10, 2013, 06:27:28 AM »

As someone who struggles with weight, I think your DH is being ridiculous and childish. My boyfriend has a faster metabolism than I do, and can eat what he wants. Is it fair? Heck no, but then neither is life. I wouldn't dream of asking him to modify his intake just to help me (he already does that with alcohol, which is even more essential in my case.) I would just tell him that this is his issue to deal with. Maybe he could eat one cookie and just stop at that-one cookie doesn't break a diet. Five do.

BuffaloFang

« Reply #92 on: December 10, 2013, 12:43:34 PM »
BuffaloFang,

Have you talked to your husband about this since the original post, or are you still thinking about what to do? (Brainstorming specifics of any of the suggestions made here would be premature if you're still undecided on even the broadest level of whether to change anything, let alone what.)

I have not - I was mostly curious about eHell's take on this, since working out reasonable compromises seems to be a specialty here :) 

It's not a frequent craving of cookies; maybe once a month in the winter time, and every few months in the summer.  I left the chocolate out of half of the last batch of chocolate chip cookie dough, and hid both packets of dough behind the ice pack.  It seems he found them and has eaten most of the chocolate inclusive dough, but doesn't seem to have touched the one without chocolate.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #93 on: December 10, 2013, 02:09:10 PM »
BuffaloFang,

Have you talked to your husband about this since the original post, or are you still thinking about what to do? (Brainstorming specifics of any of the suggestions made here would be premature if you're still undecided on even the broadest level of whether to change anything, let alone what.)

I have not - I was mostly curious about eHell's take on this, since working out reasonable compromises seems to be a specialty here :) 

It's not a frequent craving of cookies; maybe once a month in the winter time, and every few months in the summer.  I left the chocolate out of half of the last batch of chocolate chip cookie dough, and hid both packets of dough behind the ice pack.  It seems he found them and has eaten most of the chocolate inclusive dough, but doesn't seem to have touched the one without chocolate.

Well, he'd now be hearing holy heck from me about eating MY cookie dough without asking since he doesn't eat cookies. I say start chewing him out everytime he eats any. Get really mad. He has told you that he does not want cookies. So when you are making dough you are making it for your use and he is basically taking something that is not his.  I'm normally not a food horder. But occasionally when we were first married I'd be planning to make something and I'd ask DH if he wanted some. He'd say no, but them smell or see it and help himself to some without asking if I was done. I would make him go make me more. I would have been happy to make enough for both of us but I wasn't going to make it twice.

So go hand your DH the recipe and tell him he needs to replace your cookie dough. Turn the tables. Tell him this is no longer an issue of you doing something he doesn't like. But an issue of his taking things that are yours without your permssion.

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
« Reply #94 on: December 10, 2013, 03:20:02 PM »
BuffaloFang,

The think about it is, there is no such thing as a "reasonable compromise" with zero input from him.
There have been lots of good ideas, but this is not supposed to be about "Team EHell" vs. DH.
You two have to find what is going to work in your house, for Team BothofYou.
                www.ellenseltz.com

esposita

• If you have the power to make someone happy, do it
« Reply #95 on: December 10, 2013, 04:08:17 PM »
BuffaloFang,

The think about it is, there is no such thing as a "reasonable compromise" with zero input from him.
There have been lots of good ideas, but this is not supposed to be about "Team EHell" vs. DH.
You two have to find what is going to work in your house, for Team BothofYou.

Pod to the nth degree.

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #96 on: December 10, 2013, 05:26:38 PM »
I know I've seen the suggestion that Op bake elsewhere but I was wondering Op if your husband ever chose to leave when you are baking?  I keep thinking if it's such a temptation why doesn't he request some warning and choose to leave?  My hunch is he hangs out in the house being tempted by the cookies so he has an excuse to eat them and not be accountable for his choices.

Well, if the husband works from home he may not be able to just leave whenever he wants.

True, but if he can never leave for a few hours, there's a larger problem: working all day, every day is going to lead to burn-out. He may not be able to leave on short notice, depending on the work, but there ought to be room in there to schedule "be out of the house, Saturday 4-7 p.m." Especially nowadays, when so many businesses are set up to provide a table and internet connection to anyone who buys a cup of coffee or a snack." I can see his having to say that Saturday afternoon won't work, how about Sunday morning, if he has regular phone meetings, but it seems unlikely that the only times he can either take a real break or work in a library or coffeeshop for a couple of hours are during OP's workday.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.