Author Topic: Hand Mixers  (Read 1919 times)

Cutenoob

Hand Mixers
« on: November 17, 2013, 08:34:51 PM »
Does anyone have a recommendation for one? I bought a new one this year (Oster hand held, Model 0125) and I HATE IT WITH A PASSION. So much that I'm going to return it after 2 uses.
I gave my old Black and Decker away :( and I want to really do some serious marathon baking soon. Any ideas? Has to be a hand mixer, under $100. Prefer whisk and bread mixers but not required. Main need is to mix cookie etc.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Re: Hand Mixers
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 10:20:45 PM »
I have a kitchenaid, the five speed. Got it as a gift, and I love it. I don't use it for much more than cookies, cakes and other "light" doughs, but have never had a problem. I don't use it much, maybe a few times a year, but its gotten pretty decent reviews. Mine's few years old, but this is basically what I have

http://www.amazon.com/Kitchenaid-Speed-Hand-Mixer-Empire/dp/B009VUHLHA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1384744787&sr=8-3&keywords=kitchenaid+hand+mixer

they make a 9 speed, and it does more, but i'd figure out what you really want to do, and go from there.  and checkout online reviews; i've found those to be the best gauge of whether a product is good or not.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 11:54:28 PM »
Do you have to use a mixer at all? My mixer broke many years ago, and since I couldn't afford a real one, I went thru several hand held models till I gave up. I now mix everything by hands depending on the dough I either use a fork or a balloon whisk. Too be honest I don't bake a lot ( trying to avoid the calories) but when I do, nobody complains. Just made a batch of brownies and coconut blondies this weekend that are scrumptious. When I make bread dough I actually prefer to knead it by hand.

I also have a small food processor that is on its last legs and I use that sometimes to beat egg whites.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 12:16:02 AM »
I had to go check - I've got a Robeson 10-speed hand mixer, which I've had for 14 years now.  I only got a "real" mixer last year, and I do quite a bit of cooking/baking, so it's held up really well.  The only downside has been that there's a bit of rust on the tops of the beater blades I use the most, but I think that's because sometimes I forget and leave them to soak with other dishes instead of washing them right away  :-\

JadeGirl

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 05:42:13 AM »
I have an ancient cheap Sunbeam one that has outlasted fancier and more expensive models.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 06:07:30 AM »
I've usually bought fairly cheap ones, but Krupp are very good.
NE England

sarahj21

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 06:33:23 AM »
I have an ancient cheap Sunbeam one that has outlasted fancier and more expensive models.

Mine's Sunbeam as well! I have made more batches of cookies with it than I care to admit. :D

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 07:15:05 AM »
I have a little sunbeam hats just great.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 07:29:12 AM »
Do you have to use a mixer at all? My mixer broke many years ago, and since I couldn't afford a real one, I went thru several hand held models till I gave up. I now mix everything by hands depending on the dough I either use a fork or a balloon whisk. Too be honest I don't bake a lot ( trying to avoid the calories) but when I do, nobody complains. Just made a batch of brownies and coconut blondies this weekend that are scrumptious. When I make bread dough I actually prefer to knead it by hand.

I also have a small food processor that is on its last legs and I use that sometimes to beat egg whites.

I don't own a small hand mixer either; unless I'm making something that's very light and airy (when I use my stand mixer), I combine any wet ingredients and mix them a little first with a fork or wooden spoon, then I add in dry ingredients, take my rings off and mix literally by hand.  I find my cookies and cakes and such actually turn out better than if I used a mixer and the heat of my hands couldn't get in there and encourage everything to melt together. 

Sorry I can't be of help with recommendations!

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 07:45:43 AM »

I don't own a small hand mixer either; unless I'm making something that's very light and airy (when I use my stand mixer), I combine any wet ingredients and mix them a little first with a fork or wooden spoon, then I add in dry ingredients, take my rings off and mix literally by hand.  I find my cookies and cakes and such actually turn out better than if I used a mixer and the heat of my hands couldn't get in there and encourage everything to melt together. 

Sorry I can't be of help with recommendations!
cool! i've never done that - but i'm quite proficient with the fork or whisk.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Cat blog
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 08:26:12 AM »
I have a cheap Breville 10-speed hand-and-stand that I've used for several years. It's a stand mixer where the top can be detached to use as a hand mixer, and I'd happily recommend it to anyone.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Breville-SHM2-Twin-Stand-Mixer/dp/B0009YERJW/

Minmom3

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 01:23:53 AM »

One of my daughters has my mother's old Sunbeam from the 50's.  Still kicking.  I have mine from when we got married in 1983 - still kicking.  Another daughter got my MIL's old Sunbeam from the 50's or the 60's.  They all look like hell (aside from wires, which are fine, we don't mess with bad wiring) but work like champs.  I never use mine for anything thicker than pumpkin pie mix - the pulp, the eggs, molasses and sugar.  Anything heavier gets the standing mixer, Kitchenaide, which doesn't get used all year round, but works really hard when it gets used. 
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

katycoo

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 01:36:09 AM »
is it your only mixer?

I have a good stand mixer, and I use my hand mixer so rarely that I have a real cheapy I got for about $12.  Does the job.  I think it has 5 speeds...

JadeGirl

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 05:43:23 AM »
is it your only mixer?

I have a good stand mixer, and I use my hand mixer so rarely that I have a real cheapy I got for about $12.  Does the job.  I think it has 5 speeds...

My lovely boyfriend bought me a Kitchenaid (his name is Jeremy  :D) but I still use my little Sunbeam. Jeremy lives in a cupboard in the laundry so it's a pain to lug him out just to whip some cream to go with dessert.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 09:26:46 AM »
is it your only mixer?

My lovely boyfriend bought me a Kitchenaid (his name is Jeremy  :D) but I still use my little Sunbeam. Jeremy lives in a cupboard in the laundry so it's a pain to lug him out just to whip some cream to go with dessert.

Your boyfriend lives in a cupboard in the laundry?  Is that better or worse than the one under the stairs? >:D
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain