Author Topic: Hand Mixers  (Read 2058 times)

JadeGirl

Re: Hand Mixers
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 10:37:57 AM »
is it your only mixer?

I have a good stand mixer, and I use my hand mixer so rarely that I have a real cheapy I got for about $12.  Does the job.  I think it has 5 speeds...

My lovely boyfriend bought me a Kitchenaid (his name is Jeremy  :D) but I still use my little Sunbeam. Jeremy lives in a cupboard in the laundry so it's a pain to lug him out just to whip some cream to go with dessert.

Your boyfriend lives in a cupboard in the laundry?  Is that better or worse than the one under the stairs? >:D

Not sure. I would go and ask but dinner is over and I don't like going in there at night because there are spiders  :P

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2013, 11:21:20 AM »
is it your only mixer?

I have a good stand mixer, and I use my hand mixer so rarely that I have a real cheapy I got for about $12.  Does the job.  I think it has 5 speeds...

My lovely boyfriend bought me a Kitchenaid (his name is Jeremy  :D) but I still use my little Sunbeam. Jeremy lives in a cupboard in the laundry so it's a pain to lug him out just to whip some cream to go with dessert.

Holy Toledo, I thought your -boyfriend's- name is Jeremy, and I was wondering why you were bragging about his name, and whether there was some allusion/reference about Jeremy's being good boyfriends, that I'd missed. And then I couldn't figure out why he was living in a cupboard!

Paper Roses

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2013, 04:23:55 PM »
OP, what is it you don't like about the one you're returning?  That might help with recommendations; if we know you specifically don't like certain things, we can steer you away from them.
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

anniehawks

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2013, 04:41:38 PM »
I have a Kitchenaid hand mixer and I just love it.

katycoo

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2013, 06:00:35 PM »
is it your only mixer?

I feel the same way - but cream is so easy to mix that any old brand can do it.  My $12 Tiffany mixer has been going about 8 years now.

Cutenoob

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2013, 05:50:11 AM »
OP, what is it you don't like about the one you're returning?  That might help with recommendations; if we know you specifically don't like certain things, we can steer you away from them.
The one I have is as Oster Handmixer Model FPSTHM0152 http://www.oster.com/food-prep/mixers/FPSTHM0152.html. When I use the switch to turn it on, I have to use my other hand to make sure it goes to the slowest speed first. If I use the hand I'm holding it with, the speed flicks up to 3 and starts flinging stuff around. Don't want that.
It's hard to get the beaters out, my old one was press the orange and it went POP. Now it's press IN the flippy switch and have to argue with it to get it out.
It's also really awkward sized/shaped. It's hard for me to hold. It's mass is bigger; my old one was a smaller flatter boxy kind. It took up less space HOLDING it. (short arms and short body = not easy to hold stuff above a counter top)
It does the job, yes, gets stuff mixed. But I don't like those features. Ease of use is very important alongside the job it does.

I'm trying to keep the price reasonably close. I even checked out hand mixers at Goodwill today; looking for one that is like what I used to have. Nope.

Paper Roses

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2013, 09:54:21 PM »
I think I understand.  The site and pictures don't provide much description, but from your post, is that red button with the person's thumb on it the "Burst of Power," and then the on/off/increase level button above that?  If that's the case, I can see why you don't like it - seems like it makes it difficult, if not impossible, to turn it on without turning it way up at the same time. 

And I agree, it is big for a hand mixer. 

Have you tried WalMart or Target?  A lot of times they have them set out on display so you can at least hold it before you buy it to see if it's comfortable to work with.
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

SoCalVal

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2013, 02:11:33 AM »
I have a kitchenaid, the five speed. Got it as a gift, and I love it. I don't use it for much more than cookies, cakes and other "light" doughs, but have never had a problem. I don't use it much, maybe a few times a year, but its gotten pretty decent reviews. Mine's few years old, but this is basically what I have

http://www.amazon.comKitchenaid-Speed-Hand-Mixer-Empire/dp/B009VUHLHA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1384744787&sr=8-3&keywords=kitchenaid+hand+mixer

they make a 9 speed, and it does more, but i'd figure out what you really want to do, and go from there.  and checkout online reviews; i've found those to be the best gauge of whether a product is good or not.

I have a KitchenAid 9-speed and love my hand mixer (DH isn't really allowed to touch it as he has a tendency to break things).  I wondered years ago what the difference is between the cheapo ones I had and my KitchenAid, and the KitchenAid is just a lot smoother to handle.  I believe it also got some good reviews with Cooks Illustrated (my go-to when I'm trying to decide on a particular brand of appliance).

SoCalVal

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2013, 02:11:51 AM »
is it your only mixer?

Holy Toledo, I thought your -boyfriend's- name is Jeremy, and I was wondering why you were bragging about his name, and whether there was some allusion/reference about Jeremy's being good boyfriends, that I'd missed. And then I couldn't figure out why he was living in a cupboard!

Pod.  I thought "Why is she bragging about her boyfriend's real name and, wait, why does he live in the cupboard...oh, wait a second..."

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2013, 03:16:31 PM »
is it your only mixer?

He's read too much Harry Potter?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Cutenoob

Re: Hand Mixers- Got it!
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2013, 07:56:53 PM »
I looked around online and had a choice between Cuisinart http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-HM-70-Advantage-7-Speed-Stainless/dp/B000TVPCEE/ref=pd_sbs_k_51 or a Hamilton Beach one Hamilton Beach 6 Speed Classic Stand Mixer 64650   I bought the Hamilton Beach one. It comes with a bowl (points for that!)

I was looking at a $79 hand held mixer and said, wait, that's too much, sheesh. The HB one works great; mixes like a mixer should. It could be better, a wider bowl would make getting stuff off the bottom easier. But, it's done what I needed to so far. My freezer is filled to the gills with cookies, and I'm fixing to take a whole nother section of freezer for other cookies/fudge.

So, I have what I need. This is adequate for the usage; not a gourmet thing by any means. It'll do.

bloo

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2013, 08:13:42 PM »
I'm glad you found something you might like!

I'm too late to make a recommendation, but I just wanted to share what I finally broke down and bought when my $11 handmixer started overheating when I did giant batches of cookie dough.

I got this:
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/cuisinart-hand-mixer-storage-case/

It is so unbelievably super-special-awesome with a case that the implements and cord tuck right into. It is not cheap. It might be cheaper somewhere other than WS, but their guarantee is the best to work with.