Author Topic: 3rd shift workers  (Read 2905 times)

Dazi

• like the flower
Re: 3rd shift workers
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2013, 07:48:56 AM »
I used to work 2nd or 3rd shifts as needed. So either 4pm-12 or 11p-7a...sometimes it was a really weird in between one like 8p-4a.  I was the one making the schedule, so it's not like I couldn't change it or anything, but it worked best at the time for me/the role I had.  Eventually I left that job for a much better one and now work a nice normal 8-5 M-F schedule (thank you Deity).

My mother just didn't get the 3rd shift and how detrimental is was that I get enough sleep.  Nothing I could do could convince her I shouldn't be up and running errands or cleaning house at 10 am.  She'd call and chastise me about not being up...what are you going to do, sleep all day?  Well yes, that was my plan dang-nabbit.

Then karma came and bit her on the butt and she was switched to 3rd shift.  I only gloated a little when she complained how noisy everyone was, she kept getting woke up during her sleep time, people kept calling her during their lunch, etc.   ;)
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

MissRose

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2013, 08:45:53 AM »
I've never done 3rd shift. Even when I did 2nd shift and had to live at home for sometime with my parents, my mother did not understand why I was not happy to get up at 7 or 8 am after getting home anytime between 10:30pm to 12:30am I was not going to bed immediately nor ready to wake up at her early time.  I needed a few hours to unwind quietly after work with the bedroom door closed using my computer, listening to music with headphones on, reading, or watching tv with very low volume.  It was a relief when I was able to move out on my own to have the time I needed then later when I moved to 1st shift, that was better for my body clock.

AzaleaBloom

• Help, I'm stepping into the twilight zone...
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2013, 10:10:31 AM »
When my brother worked 3rd shift, my mother was fanatical about making sure he got his sleep.  She would get upset with me for going up to my room for anything during those times - even though I was just going up there for some quiet myself.

My husband has, for the past three years, worked a second shift job.  He generally stays up until about 2-3 AM and sleeps until 10 AM.  My mom made some snide comments about him just "dragging himself out of bed earlier" to get to a family event one morning.  Me telling her that it would be like her getting up at 3 AM didn't work.  Finally, I reminded her of how she was when my brother worked nights - and asked why she couldn't give my husband the same courtesy.  She stopped.

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2013, 04:06:25 PM »
I can't believe how much grief people.  Do you find the people who can't get it in their head tend to be difficult people to begin with?

I've shared this before, but I'll share it again.

I worked nights when my daughter was in elementary school.  One of the "room mothers" was going around and asking people when they were available for volunteer times.
I was saying, "Well, I work nights..."  (meaning to continue, "...so I can only help in late afternoon/afterschool.")
But she cut me off with, "Great! So you're free all day!"
:o
"Nooooo, I've got to sleep during the day."

She looked at me like I'd said the craziest thing ever.

I didn't volunteer for much that year.

I always find it better to just answer the question.  Instead of saying, "Well, I work nights ..." just say you are available in the late afternoon.
Yep, but  "I'm available afternoons." Translates to, "Call me at 10am to see if I can come in at 1."

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2013, 06:25:22 PM »
When I worked 4 p.m. to 12 a.m. a friend would call when I got home.  She also worked 4 p.m. to 12 a.m. and she'd call me so that the phone wouldn't wake up her daughter.  I've also worked nights, but since my dad also worked nights at the same time my parents understood.  The only time it got to be an issue was when I was working 4 p.m. to 12 a.m. and Mom would call me at 8 a.m.  We finally had a chat, and she agreed not to call me before 9:30 a.m. unless it was an emergency.  After that, the only time she did call was when she had to take my sister to the Emergency Room and left Sis' little girl with me, but I considered that an emergency.  Niece and I went back to sleep - she didn't want to be up early any more than I did. 

Now I work noon until whenever the work is finished.  I've worked one hour; I've worked 12 hours.  It's hard to tell with this type of work (medical transcription), but I work at home so I do bits of housework, do laundry, run the dishwasher, etc. between dictations. 

Peppergirl

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2013, 07:15:04 PM »
Gah. Some people are clueless.

Just thought of something. My father was a career firefighter. His schedule was usually 'On 24/off 48' (hours) for 20-ish years. I distinctly remember having to tiptoe around after school a lot in order to let him sleep.

Oh, the irony.  :o

marcel

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2013, 10:04:01 PM »

Question for people in other countries, is it normal for people to always work the same shift? The respondents in this thread, seem to be always working the night shift, over here, only if different shifts require a different skill set, so people work the same shift only, so for my work, where it doesn't make a difference when you work, everybody works all shifts (except that people over 55 don't work nights anymore)

There's two ways of working that in the USA. Some employers make everyone rotate shifts, others hire people specifically for 2nd and 3rd shifts. I've done both, and frankly, I still have nightmares in which I look at the schedule and see that I'm working all 3 shifts in one week, and I last did shiftwork in 1985. :) There's plenty of research about the detrimental effects of having to rotate shifts. In my experience, the happiest workplaces were where they recruited people specifically for 2nd and 3rd shifts. For example, the last job I worked had an RN on the night shift, permanently. She was a pastor's wife, and she negotiated it so she worked Sunday night through Thursday night, so that she always had her evenings off, and she could attend  church on Sunday mornings.
Like I said, people working always the same shift isa rare here, and i have never encountered it.
For myself, i have had quite a few different jobs, and even the most regular one I had was still a bit irregular, including evenings (no nights) and weekends.
Personaly, i would never want to have an office hours job, the idea of always working the same days and times (plus traveling during rush hour)alone gives me nightmares :)
in my work, the morning shift is 6-14, afternoon 14-22 and night 22-6. A normal schedule is 2/3 days mornings, 2/3 days afternoon and 2/3 days nights (for a total of 5 or 7 days, where the 5 days off course does not contain one of these shifts) this is followed by 2-5 days off.
The main reason why I like a schedule like this is that it is fantastic for my social life, it lets me do many things that are simply not possible with more regular working hours. Sure, sometimes i have to cancel on things that most people can go, but this is compensated by being able to go places for which a regular job is simply not suitable. Especialy with international events a 4/5 day weekend makes everything a bit easier, but also for basic parties, events and just meeting up with friends, an irregular work schedule is much easier for me.
In this aspect however, i believe that always working the same shift, which is much different from other peoples working hours, would be detrimental for your social life, instead of helping it, which is why I wouldn't always want to work the same shift. I would probably find always working the same shift, much worse then a 9-5 job.
Wherever you go..... There you are.

Jocelyn

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2013, 11:20:11 PM »

In this aspect however, i believe that always working the same shift, which is much different from other peoples working hours, would be detrimental for your social life, instead of helping it, which is why I wouldn't always want to work the same shift. I would probably find always working the same shift, much worse then a 9-5 job.
To each her own. :) But, as I said in my note, working a predictable 2nd or 3rd shift can work very well for many people. Aside from Dollie (the pastor's wife), I had another co-worker who was married to a jazz musician. After she got off work at 11:30, she could get to his club in time for his first break. After he went back to work, she would go home and do housework until he came home. They'd then sleep late. It all depends upon how an individual wants to socialize. For young people, going out after getting off work and being able to sleep to noon may work better than having to go home in time to be up at 6. And, in my experience, I socialized pretty much the same whether I worked 1st or 3rd. And since 3rd was easier work and paid more, it was the best option for me. :)