Author Topic: I thought everyone did it this way...  (Read 9481 times)

123sandy

I thought everyone did it this way...
« on: November 18, 2013, 09:08:20 AM »
When I make a sandwich I butter the bread then add the fillings. This is the way everybody in my family makes sandwiches/rolls. I assumed this was common but when chatting to someone about it they not only had never heard of buttering the bread, they found the idea disgusting!

So, do you butter your sandwich bread?

staceym

Re: I thought everyone did it this way...
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 09:10:21 AM »
When I make a sandwich I butter the bread then add the fillings. This is the way everybody in my family makes sandwiches/rolls. I assumed this was common but when chatting to someone about it they not only had never heard of buttering the bread, they found the idea disgusting!

you mean a sandwich that has lunch meat?  No, never put butter on a sandwich except if I'm making a grilled cheese.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 09:15:36 AM »
No, I don't think it's a very "US" thing to do.  I've heard of it before, though...

Do you put any other condiment on the bread, like mayo or mustard?

123sandy

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 09:16:50 AM »

you mean a sandwich that has lunch meat?  No, never put butter on a sandwich except if I'm making a grilled cheese.

Yes, an untoasted sandwich with meat/cheese/salad etc.

Paper Roses

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 09:17:17 AM »
I had completely forgotten about it, but my mother did that!  As a child, I didn't like butter, so she didn't make my sandwiches that way and it just never occurred to me to do it - unless it's a hot sandwich, or the bread has been toasted.

Wow - blast from the past!
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

TaurusGirl

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 09:17:48 AM »
I butter the outside of the bread for grilled cheese, and the inside of the bread for a toasted BLT. Aside from those two, it's mustard only for me! (Unless it's turkey, then it's mayo and pepper).
:)

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 09:17:57 AM »
I always did while growing up. After I moved away from home I don't always actually have butter in the house, so not any longer. I still think with butter is more luxurious though :)

Only a thin layer though - we have a concept in Denmark of "tooth butter" (=so thick a layer you can see tooth marks after taking a bite), and I find that utterly disgusting. Fortunately it's falling out of favour, but whenever my in-laws serve sandwiches I have to find a way to subtly remove half the butter before I can stomach taking a bite.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

marcel

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 09:21:52 AM »
I believe that it is not common in the US. For asfar as i know it is common in most European countries. Definitely in The Netherlands and i have seen it done in other countries as well.
Wherever you go..... There you are.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 09:22:50 AM »
 Most people I know butter* the bread when making sandwiches. With the exception of people who were on diets (and trying to reduce fat intake), I am struggling to think of anyone I know who doesn't. Bought sandwiches (at cafes, etc) are the same.

Australia's a big place, with lots of different food traditions, so maybe there are some people who don't. I just haven't met them. :)

*same term covers margarine as well as butter.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 09:28:29 AM »
I'd never heard of this growing up.  I found out about it when I went to London for a few weeks and ordered a chicken sandwich.  I was very startled to discover it was buttered, but absolutely loved it!  I normally don't make sandwiches at this time, but when I do, I put a very thin layer of butter (or margarine) on. 

Redsoil

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 09:33:35 AM »
Not only buttered, but LOTS o' butter!  The whatever filling/topping I want (yes, including peanut butter on the butter).

A favourite - 1 slice white bread, stacks of butter spread on it, whack tomato sauce all over it.  Eat.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Psychopoesie

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 09:36:07 AM »
Not only buttered, but LOTS o' butter!  The whatever filling/topping I want (yes, including peanut butter on the butter).

A favourite - 1 slice white bread, stacks of butter spread on it, whack tomato sauce all over it.  Eat.

Yum. :)

Margo

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 09:38:04 AM »
I'm in the UK and would say it is the norm here - certainly if you buy a pre-packaged sandwich it would have butter (well, usually margarine) .

My sister's in-laws don't - my BiL's parents are both old enough to have grown up during the war and have always operated on a 'butter OR jam' basis (which when fat was very strictly rationed would make sense) and they have never broken the habit.

We think my BiL is slightly odd for *not* having any butter on his toast-and-marmalade, he thinks we're slightly odd for having both.

I personally don't always use butter - it depends what kind of sandwich I'm making (I don't bother f I'm having something gloopy like jam or peanut butter.) but I would see it as a standard part of making a sandwich.

(PS - I don't want your tomaot sauce sandwich, - my favourite is fresh, crusty white bread, real butter, cold roast beef, tomato and little bit of wholegrain mustanrd. Pure bliss)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 09:39:04 AM »
Only butter my bread for sandwiches if making  one that will be grilled and I butter the outside.

Mustard or mayonaise is the preferred spreads for a standard sandwich.

I do remember my mom making tea sandwiches for showers that she'd use butter for but don't remember the type.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 09:39:14 AM »
The only time I ever butter sandwich bread is for grilled cheese, to brown it properly.  Beyond that I've never put butter on a sandwich.

Virg