Author Topic: I thought everyone did it this way...  (Read 8102 times)

Katana_Geldar

Re: I thought everyone did it this way...
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2013, 07:04:23 PM »
I love butter on bread to the point where I love a slice of fresh bread and butter.

People don't butter sandwiches? ???

katycoo

« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2013, 07:13:44 PM »
yes - its the norm in Australia.  When my family lived in America we noticed mayo was more common.  This was distressing when eating at other peoples homes as I didn't like mayo then...

kckgirl

« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2013, 07:21:55 PM »
I use butter on turkey sandwiches. I absolutely hate hate hate mayonnaise, and my mother added butter because she thought the sandwiches made with leftover turkey would be too dry. That's the only sandwich with butter in my kitchen.

Ham gets mustard (or just cheese, lettuce, and tomato). If I was going to grill the bread (like some hamburger joints do), I would probably butter the roll first.
Maryland

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2013, 07:28:51 PM »
Mayo can be a bit iffy if it's not store brought. The risk of listeria and salmonella is rather significant in raw eggs.

A lot of places are being gourmet by making their own mayonnaise. This is annoying, IMHO , I can't have raw eggs.

Mergatroyd

« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2013, 08:38:36 PM »
Bread and butter is yummy, and even more so when it has jam on top! As for sandwiches I will put miracle whip on instead of butter if it is something like crab or fish. My kids love peanut butter and honey, with butter on the honey side. 

zainabzks

« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2013, 08:39:54 PM »
I used to eat butter and sugar sandwiches as a kid. I loved them! This thread brings back sweet memories. :)

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2013, 09:18:19 PM »
I love a little bread on my butter!   ;)

Promise

« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2013, 10:41:07 PM »
I butter the outside of bread for grilled sandwiches, but that's about it. I do butter bread for toast or if I want a butter and jelly sandwich - which again is usually tossed bread first. For meat, I use mayo, hummus, Miracle Whip and sometimes I'll use cream cheese with turkey.

daen

« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2013, 11:04:11 PM »
I butter the outside of bread for grilled sandwiches, but that's about it. I do butter bread for toast or if I want a butter and jelly sandwich - which again is usually tossed bread first. For meat, I use mayo, hummus, Miracle Whip and sometimes I'll use cream cheese with turkey.

Ooh... cream cheese, turkey, and cranberry sauce sandwiches.
(Darn it, I'm craving sandwiches again. And there's still no bread in the house.)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2013, 12:29:36 AM »
I thought that was done when you want to keep something from soaking into the bread.  I like it either way.  Sometimes I just like butter and the filling or just mayo and the filling.  Or just bread and butter.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2013, 04:58:22 AM »
I love butter on bread to the point where I love a slice of fresh bread and butter.

People don't butter sandwiches? ???

Dittto. Australia/NZ born and raised here.

I'd never heard of (or seen) bread/sandwiches without butter or margarine until this thread. I just can't imagine it....

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2013, 04:59:24 AM »
Most people I know butter* the bread when making sandwiches. With the exception of people who were on diets (and trying to reduce fat intake), I am struggling to think of anyone I know who doesn't. Bought sandwiches (at cafes, etc) are the same.

Australia's a big place, with lots of different food traditions, so maybe there are some people who don't. I just haven't met them. :)

*same term covers margarine as well as butter.

Me either.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2013, 05:33:11 AM »
I don't ever have butter in the house unless i need for baking and then i'll buy one package (otherwise i'll just eat and eat and eat toast and butter). I never buy margerine anymore.

Growing up, we used to use margerine on sandwiches (like for cheese or sliced egg) but not for meat sandwiches (those got mayo or mustard). since then, i've branched out to other types of spreads like roasted tomatoe or tapanade so I will use those or mustard, not butter or marg

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Brisvegasgal

« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2013, 06:35:18 AM »
My husband's family butter EVERY kind of sandwich. Peanut butter, Vegemite (blergh), jam, marmalade, salad...yes I said salad, cheese, baked bean, you name it & they'll butter it.  I even saw one of them put butter on an avocado sandwich! Oh, and they put butter on certain types of cake.

I don't get it...I guess my Mum didn't like butter much so I think it's odd to butter everything.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2013, 06:45:53 AM »
My husband's family butter EVERY kind of sandwich. Peanut butter, Vegemite (blergh), jam, marmalade, salad...yes I said salad, cheese, baked bean, you name it & they'll butter it.  I even saw one of them put butter on an avocado sandwich! Oh, and they put butter on certain types of cake.

I don't get it...I guess my Mum didn't like butter much so I think it's odd to butter everything.

I can't imagine eating a vegemite sandwich (and especially toast) without buttering it. I would butter most of the sandwich types mentioned.

Do tend to skip with peanut butter because it's so buttery to begin with.

I also butter some cakes, usually plainer ones like fruitcakes or banana bread, not chocolate or carrot cake.

Surprised that others don't but everyone has different tastes.