Author Topic: I thought everyone did it this way...  (Read 9436 times)

CakeEater

Re: I thought everyone did it this way...
« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2013, 06:52:45 AM »
I'm Australian, and generally don't butter my sandwiches, but I'm definitely in the minority among my circle.

I do margarine, not butter, jam sandwiches.

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #76 on: November 19, 2013, 07:22:52 AM »
My husband's family butter EVERY kind of sandwich. Peanut butter, Vegemite (blergh), jam, marmalade, salad...yes I said salad, cheese, baked bean, you name it & they'll butter it.  I even saw one of them put butter on an avocado sandwich! Oh, and they put butter on certain types of cake.

I don't get it...I guess my Mum didn't like butter much so I think it's odd to butter everything.

Seems 100% normal to me.

BB-VA

« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2013, 07:38:31 AM »
I have a friend who lives in the midwest and whose mother was from Cornwall.  He butters bread on sandwiches and rarely uses mayonnaise.   My family, OTOH, here in the south, uses lots of mayo.  My father used to add mayo to peanut butter and banana sandwiches - he said it kept the peanut butter from sticking to the roof of his mouth.

"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2013, 08:01:34 AM »
Butter goes between the bread and the jelly/jam so the bread doesn't get soggy. I grew up with buttered sandwiches.

veryfluffy

« Reply #79 on: November 19, 2013, 08:35:18 AM »
Just the idea of butter on a sandwich with meat in it makes me queasy.

LadyL

« Reply #80 on: November 19, 2013, 09:02:16 AM »

Yeah, I love my condiments, but something about the greasy/fatty texture of butter reminds me too much of when meat goes bad and gets slimy. I don't mind mayo, mustard, etc. because they have a different texture.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2013, 09:39:47 AM »

Me too.  However, in my parent's generation butter was considered something that children needed.  It was thought to help build strength. 

When I was growing up, it was not unusual to see people buttering steaks. 

Teenyweeny

« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2013, 09:57:05 AM »
I don't think I'd be exaggarating if I said that 99% of people in the UK use butter/margarine on sandwiches.

The only exception I can think of would be Jewish people keeping kosher, or people who are watching their diet very carefully. Even the vegans I know use vegan-friendly margarine! Actually, Jewish folk here probably use that too.

There must be some people here who don't out of preference, but I have literally never met them. Of course, mayo is much less common here. 

How can you have a chip butty without butter? Answer: you can't, because that would be a travesty.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2013, 10:33:54 AM »
Someone's mom gave me a peanut butter sandwich with butter on it when I was a kid. I didn't really like it. Otherwise, as others have said, butter only goes on a sandwich if it's on the outside of the bread, in preparation of a grilled cheese sandwich.

All this talk of condiments...anyone else have sandiwches made of peanut butter and that marshmallow fluff stuff? I can't remember the brand name of it now, but I loved those as a kid. Didn't get them very often because they weren't exactly healthy, but they were yummm!

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

English1

« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2013, 11:01:20 AM »
UK here - and yes, we nearly all use butter or margarine in all our sandwiches.

I know of one person who doesn't - an ex work colleague. And we all thought she was a pain in the you know what as we'd take it in turns to go fetch lunch and had to faff about with special 'no butter' instructions for her sandwich.

And how do you eat a sandwich without butter without it all falling apart? It's what sticks the fillings to the bread... do you just have the bread dry or replace the butter with something else? If it's mayo etc - um, well, we normally have the butter PLUS the mayo (I can hear you all retching from here, lol).

jmarvellous

« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2013, 11:41:58 AM »
Someone's mom gave me a peanut butter sandwich with butter on it when I was a kid. I didn't really like it. Otherwise, as others have said, butter only goes on a sandwich if it's on the outside of the bread, in preparation of a grilled cheese sandwich.

All this talk of condiments...anyone else have sandiwches made of peanut butter and that marshmallow fluff stuff? I can't remember the brand name of it now, but I loved those as a kid. Didn't get them very often because they weren't exactly healthy, but they were yummm!

That'd be a fluffernutter.
I recently moved to the Land of Fluf(f), but I still can't stomach the idea of eating them.

The good news here is that reading about buttered sandwiches has literally made me lose my appetite (and I didn't pack much of a lunch today). Every time I think about a cold, buttered sandwich I get a little sick.

Jones

« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2013, 12:00:53 PM »

I know of one person who doesn't - an ex work colleague. And we all thought she was a pain in the you know what as we'd take it in turns to go fetch lunch and had to faff about with special 'no butter' instructions for her sandwich.

And how do you eat a sandwich without butter without it all falling apart? It's what sticks the fillings to the bread... do you just have the bread dry or replace the butter with something else? If it's mayo etc - um, well, we normally have the butter PLUS the mayo (I can hear you all retching from here, lol).

I don't know...I've never had a sandwich fall apart on me, unless it had too many fillings inside, and the bread held but the fillings fell out. Now I am wondering if the consistency of bread is different between countries? Currently I use a name brand multi grain, but I grew up on white store generic bread (and a lot more condiments than I currently use...though never butter unless it was a slice of toast by itself, or grilled).

I always thought the bread was just there to keep my fingers from getting messy while eating the meat, tomatoes etc. The slight condiments I use now don't affect the texture much, as I mentioned earlier I am very light handed on the condiments.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2013, 12:34:59 PM »
Growing up, we put margarine (vile stuff, don't touch it now!) and mayo on the bread before putting the meat on it. We got a lot of ribbing for that. Now I only use mustard, to save calories/fat.

I was raised in the upper midwest, but my parents are English Canadian. Could that be why we were different from the people around us?

I don't think so - mayo isn't that common in my circles and I live near where your parents are from, I think.  Margarine was common - butter used to be much more expensive, comparatively, than margarine.

For the longest time, my parents bought smuggled margarine.  Smuggled in from Quebec.  In Ontario, it couldn't be 'butter' coloured; it had to be left white or coloured really darkly.  But Quebec didn't have those laws.  And since we were often in the Ottawa valley, visiting family, we'd load up and freeze it.

My dad's from Toronto and my mom's from Collingwood (ON). I remember watching my grandma mix the white oleo with a yellow powder to make it look more butter-like.  :)

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2013, 12:37:22 PM »

That'd be a fluffernutter.
I recently moved to the Land of Fluf(f), but I still can't stomach the idea of eating them.

The good news here is that reading about buttered sandwiches has literally made me lose my appetite (and I didn't pack much of a lunch today). Every time I think about a cold, buttered sandwich I get a little sick.

Fluffernutter! That's it!

I doubt that I could eat one now, but when I was eight? Yumminess!

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #89 on: November 19, 2013, 02:53:21 PM »

My preference for most standard meat/cheese sandwiches is to have mustard on one slice of bread and mayo on the other side. Meat goes next to the mustard, then cheese if using, then lettuce or other greens and topped with the mayo coated piece of bread. I've not had problems with the sandwich falling apart.  My kids and DH don't like mayo so their's is mustard on both sides.

If eating something like a chicken or egg salad sandwhich, I only use mayo on the bread or none at all if the filling is pretty wet.