Author Topic: I thought everyone did it this way...  (Read 8385 times)

IslandMama

Re: I thought everyone did it this way...
« Reply #90 on: November 19, 2013, 04:02:09 PM »
Another Australian here - I butter every sandwich except a peanut butter sandwich.  I'm not a mayo fan at all... I don't even like it when salads have mayo in them.  My potato salad uses either natural yoghurt or sour cream instead of mayo.  :)  And my favourite sandwich would be just disgusting with mayo... you definitely need butter with a banana sandwich.  Plus, can anyone imagine fairy bread done with mayo?  :D

For those that don't know, fairy bread is usually white bread, buttered and covered with 100s and 1000s - non pareils - and cut into triangles.  The ultimate party food for little kids and big kids.  Pirate bread is done using chocolate sprinkles.  ;)

jmarvellous

« Reply #91 on: November 19, 2013, 04:06:03 PM »
Butter and banana sandwich ... I can picture it (if I squint really hard)--but I can't picture eating it! :)

menley

« Reply #92 on: November 19, 2013, 04:16:12 PM »
My mom used to always butter the bread for my sandwiches and I hated it! I thought I didn't like sandwich meatů turns out I like it just fine if butter isn't involved ;)

When I went to France on a study abroad, my friends and I were (unpleasantly) surprised the first time we bought baguette sandwiches and bit into a huge chunk of butter. It was basically a giant ball of butter in the middle. Bleh.

Jones

« Reply #93 on: November 19, 2013, 04:23:10 PM »
Butter and banana sandwich ... I can picture it (if I squint really hard)--but I can't picture eating it! :)
Peanut butter and banana, I have eaten and find delicious. DH disagrees vehemently with me.

Blondie

« Reply #94 on: November 19, 2013, 04:28:53 PM »
Growing up in NYC and later on Long Island, I would say that I have never seen the default to put butter on a sandwich. I suppose you could ask, but I am not sure all delis would have it readily available and you would most likely get a raised eyebrow for the request. I did not know this when I went to the UK, and I found butter made the sandwich way too sweet and a little greasy for my taste. Granted, I am also pretty much a condiment hater on sandwiches in general, so I am forever having to ask for them sans mayo, which to my taste buds is far far worse than a small slick of butter ever could be. Don't even ask about mustard...

For the record, I have never had a sandwich fall apart on me due to the lack of condiment of any sort- perhaps our deli meats are different?
"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." Douglas Adams

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #95 on: November 19, 2013, 04:31:15 PM »
I love tea cake buttered on both sides and I will butter the bread I put in my soup. I also butter toasted pear and raspberry loaf I get from Starbucks.

But I will have a blue berry bagel with cream cheese, no butter. But I'm told that we butter our bagels on the wrong side. It's normally cut in half and the cream cheese is in the middle.

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #96 on: November 19, 2013, 04:52:23 PM »
Thanks to all of you, I made myself a sandwich for lunch today (leftover pork chop, cheese, lettuce, and onion), and I BUTTERED THE ROLL.

It was yummy!  :-)

BB-VA

« Reply #97 on: November 19, 2013, 09:54:49 PM »

Peanut butter and banana, I have eaten and find delicious. DH disagrees vehemently with me.

I prefer it to PBJ.  The little baby bananas you see in the stores are just right for a sandwich - just slice lengthwise in thirds.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Chelsealady

« Reply #98 on: November 19, 2013, 10:46:29 PM »
Does anybody else use mayo instead of butter on the outside of a grilled cheese? My step-dad taught us to do it and now for years I've done it that way.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #99 on: November 19, 2013, 11:10:10 PM »
Maybe this is a stupid question, but is there a difference between mayo and Miracle Whip?

Yes, and each has its devoted adherents.  ;D Miracle Whip is sweeter, IMO, which is either good or bad depending on what you like.
And the "lite" Miracle Whip has started using artificial sweeteners in it.   So until DH eats all of the jar that is already open, or we throw it out because it has finally gone past its expiration date, I'm buttering my sandwiches.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

crella

« Reply #100 on: November 19, 2013, 11:10:26 PM »
My granddad was the third generation of his family in Boston from England (born 1900), and he buttered his sandwiches. The other side of the family did not.

Edited to add-I love Kewpie Japanese mayo, I travel with it  :D

Sahaira

• Angry Citizen
  • Keep On Rollin'
    • Sahaira's Myspace
« Reply #101 on: November 19, 2013, 11:13:01 PM »
American Midwesterner with Swedish and German roots. Butter (or margarine, I'm OK with both) on sliced meat sandwiches only, mostly because I can't stand mayo or mustard. I don't care for butter and jam, but my parents eat it that way. I wish Subway offered butter for their sandwiches!

I could go for the "tooth butter" every now and then, but not always.
Don't fear god;
Don't worry about death;
What is good is easy to get;
What is difficult is easy to endure.

Library Dragon

« Reply #102 on: November 19, 2013, 11:25:31 PM »
Another Australian here - I butter every sandwich except a peanut butter sandwich.  I'm not a mayo fan at all... I don't even like it when salads have mayo in them.  My potato salad uses either natural yoghurt or sour cream instead of mayo.  :)  And my favourite sandwich would be just disgusting with mayo... you definitely need butter with a banana sandwich.  Plus, can anyone imagine fairy bread done with mayo?  :D

For those that don't know, fairy bread is usually white bread, buttered and covered with 100s and 1000s - non pareils - and cut into triangles.  The ultimate party food for little kids and big kids.  Pirate bread is done using chocolate sprinkles.  ;)

One of my favorite childhood sandwiches is peanut butter and butter. 

I put mayo on one piece of bread and Dijon mustard on the other for most meat and cheese sandwiches.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

crella

« Reply #103 on: November 20, 2013, 12:45:39 AM »
This thread reminded me that my brother likes peanut butter and mayo sandwiches, which he calls 'generic BLT's'.

Leafy

« Reply #104 on: November 20, 2013, 02:04:59 AM »
Just the idea of butter on a sandwich with meat in it makes me queasy.

That is how I felt when I read a PP say they put mayo with salami.

I won't repeat what every other Aussie has said. I did, however, grow up really disliking mayo so rarely have it on anything. I would say that mustard seems to be used here a lot less as a sandwich condiment than in the states. Could just be my family though.

In reference to the Danish "on the tooth" butter, I call that canteen lady butter. The ladies in the school canteens would use a small spatula to apply the butter/margarine to sandwiches or rolls and it always ended up quite thick. Blergh.