Author Topic: I thought everyone did it this way...  (Read 8170 times)

Iris

Re: I thought everyone did it this way...
« Reply #105 on: November 20, 2013, 02:23:03 AM »
Yet another Aussie adding to the "Of COURSE you butter sandwiches" chorus. Just meat and bread would be too dry I think. The only time I don't have butter is if I am using a cream cheese.

Then again, I would never add mayo to just meat on a sandwich. Meat, lettuce and mayo, sure.

I also agree with a previous poster that a chip butty without butter would be an offense against all that is right and good in the world  ;)
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #106 on: November 20, 2013, 02:55:46 AM »
Had my favourite breakfast today. Cottage cheese on toast with butter.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 03:15:42 AM by Katana_Geldar »

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #107 on: November 20, 2013, 03:14:10 AM »
Butter and banana sandwich ... I can picture it (if I squint really hard)--but I can't picture eating it! :)

But it's heaven. I have one for breakfast every day. You don't know what you're missing!
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

veryfluffy

« Reply #108 on: November 20, 2013, 04:40:49 AM »
Adding 100 calories of pure fat to a sandwich as glue or moisture also doesn't make sense to me.  :o

Iris

« Reply #109 on: November 20, 2013, 05:37:35 AM »
Adding 100 calories of pure fat to a sandwich as glue or moisture also doesn't make sense to me.  :o

You could say the same thing about mayonnaise, though.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #110 on: November 20, 2013, 05:47:33 AM »

You could say the same thing about mayonnaise, though.

Yeah. And i'm guessing a lot of mayonnaisers (or mustarders) are doing it because they like the flavour... just like butterers do.

Not so keen on mayonnaise or mustard myself. Don't have either at home. Will occasionally have some on a sandwich when I'm out - depends on the fillings.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #111 on: November 20, 2013, 06:02:15 AM »
It's not just the flavour, it's also the texture.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #112 on: November 20, 2013, 06:12:03 AM »
It's not just the flavour, it's also the texture.

True.  :)

Redsoil

« Reply #113 on: November 20, 2013, 06:43:27 AM »
Butter on everything!  Woohoo! 
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

cabbageweevil

« Reply #114 on: November 20, 2013, 06:45:05 AM »
I'm in the UK and would say it is the norm here - certainly if you buy a pre-packaged sandwich it would have butter (well, usually margarine) .

My sister's in-laws don't - my BiL's parents are both old enough to have grown up during the war and have always operated on a 'butter OR jam' basis (which when fat was very strictly rationed would make sense) and they have never broken the habit.

Spinning-off a bit, from the above: I recall a "mini-tale" once read, recounting doings in Holland centuries ago -- illustrating the renowned frugality and "economising" traits, of the Dutch. It concerned a father beating his son for spreading a piece of bread with butter, putting a bit of cheese on top, and eating same. "It isn't behaving in that way, that made this country great. You have bread with butter, or with cheese -- not both !"  I gather that in that part of the world, attitudes over this matter have become more liberal since then. (Dutch participants here, please tell me if the foregoing is a load of nonsense  :) .)

scotcat60

« Reply #115 on: November 20, 2013, 08:11:01 AM »
What is disgusting about butter on sandwich bread? I always butter my sandwiches. As Katana_Geldar said its not just the flavour it's the texture. I find unbuttered sarnies too dry, but I've known people who eat them quite happily.

Teenyweeny

« Reply #116 on: November 20, 2013, 08:21:13 AM »
What is disgusting about butter on sandwich bread? I always butter my sandwiches. As Katana_Geldar said its not just the flavour it's the texture. I find unbuttered sarnies too dry, but I've known people who eat them quite happily.

Maybe people use something else, like mayo? My lunch sandwich today was Quorn slices, lettuce and cucumber. That would have been horribly dry without a bit of margarine. 

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #117 on: November 20, 2013, 08:58:56 AM »

Maybe people use something else, like mayo? My lunch sandwich today was Quorn slices, lettuce and cucumber. That would have been horribly dry without a bit of margarine.

Yes, I think the people who aren't using butter use something else, like mayo and/or mustard.

alkira6

« Reply #118 on: November 20, 2013, 09:39:47 AM »
The only time I butter for a regular sandwich is when we are traveling or picnicking. The butter (never margarine  ;D ) keeps the bread from getting soggy as it forms a thin layer between the bread and everything else.

Teenyweeny

« Reply #119 on: November 20, 2013, 10:03:54 AM »
The only time I butter for a regular sandwich is when we are traveling or picnicking. The butter (never margarine  ;D ) keeps the bread from getting soggy as it forms a thin layer between the bread and everything else.

But do you use mayo or another sauce/spread instead? Or is it literally just the dry fillings?