Author Topic: I thought everyone did it this way...  (Read 8301 times)

jmarvellous

Re: I thought everyone did it this way...
« Reply #120 on: November 20, 2013, 10:06:31 AM »
What is disgusting about butter on sandwich bread? I always butter my sandwiches. As Katana_Geldar said its not just the flavour it's the texture. I find unbuttered sarnies too dry, but I've known people who eat them quite happily.

Maybe people use something else, like mayo? My lunch sandwich today was Quorn slices, lettuce and cucumber. That would have been horribly dry without a bit of margarine.

Yes, I think the people who aren't using butter use something else, like mayo and/or mustard.

No, definitely not. I know I'm not alone in this, either--I've worked in a sandwich shop. I might have a tiny bit of mustard for flavor, but I really hate squishy liquid in my sandwiches. If a sandwich comes with a "spread' that's not reasonably thick, I always ask for it on the side.

Teenyweeny

« Reply #121 on: November 20, 2013, 10:16:46 AM »
What is disgusting about butter on sandwich bread? I always butter my sandwiches. As Katana_Geldar said its not just the flavour it's the texture. I find unbuttered sarnies too dry, but I've known people who eat them quite happily.

Maybe people use something else, like mayo? My lunch sandwich today was Quorn slices, lettuce and cucumber. That would have been horribly dry without a bit of margarine.

Yes, I think the people who aren't using butter use something else, like mayo and/or mustard.

No, definitely not. I know I'm not alone in this, either--I've worked in a sandwich shop. I might have a tiny bit of mustard for flavor, but I really hate squishy liquid in my sandwiches. If a sandwich comes with a "spread' that's not reasonably thick, I always ask for it on the side.

See, I would never describe butter/maragrine as a 'squishy liquid'. Maybe people in the US generally use way more butter when it *is* used?

Most people I know use a 'butter thickness' comparable to the thickness of a sheet of paper. Just enough to make the sandwich not be terribly dry.

Maybe fillings in the US are generally less dry? Or maybe it's American bread? I definitely remember American bread having a very different taste and texture to UK bread, more brioche-like than I'm used to.

I'm clearly overthinking this.  ;D

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #122 on: November 20, 2013, 11:18:28 AM »
Someone's mom gave me a peanut butter sandwich with butter on it when I was a kid. I didn't really like it. Otherwise, as others have said, butter only goes on a sandwich if it's on the outside of the bread, in preparation of a grilled cheese sandwich.

All this talk of condiments...anyone else have sandiwches made of peanut butter and that marshmallow fluff stuff? I can't remember the brand name of it now, but I loved those as a kid. Didn't get them very often because they weren't exactly healthy, but they were yummm!

FlufferNutter Sandwich!!!  I used to love those.  Now they are too sweet for me

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #123 on: November 20, 2013, 11:20:57 AM »

If it's not something that you're used too then yeah, I can see how it seems a bit disgusting.  I have never buttered a sandwich in my life.  I like bread and butter, but not with any other fillings.  I use mayo, or hummus, or other spreads on my sandwiches.

Marga

« Reply #124 on: November 20, 2013, 03:45:11 PM »
I'm in the UK and would say it is the norm here - certainly if you buy a pre-packaged sandwich it would have butter (well, usually margarine) .

My sister's in-laws don't - my BiL's parents are both old enough to have grown up during the war and have always operated on a 'butter OR jam' basis (which when fat was very strictly rationed would make sense) and they have never broken the habit.

Spinning-off a bit, from the above: I recall a "mini-tale" once read, recounting doings in Holland centuries ago -- illustrating the renowned frugality and "economising" traits, of the Dutch. It concerned a father beating his son for spreading a piece of bread with butter, putting a bit of cheese on top, and eating same. "It isn't behaving in that way, that made this country great. You have bread with butter, or with cheese -- not both !"  I gather that in that part of the world, attitudes over this matter have become more liberal since then. (Dutch participants here, please tell me if the foregoing is a load of nonsense  :) .)

There are Dutch sayings: "Zuivel op zuivel is overdaad" Dairy on dairy is excess and "Zuivel op zuivel is werk van de duivel" Dairy on dairy is work of the devil. Not really used anymore, but my father did still encounter it in his youth (about a century ago). Yes, it was seen as too much.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #125 on: November 20, 2013, 04:32:19 PM »
As much as I like butter, I will say this: I used to help prepare sandwiches for my parents cafe and they did have mayonnaise instead of butter. I did look forward to the next day when I could take an unsold one for my lunch.

And, I will not have butter on burgers. That's a line you don't cross. On steak sandwiches? Maybe.

cabbageweevil

« Reply #126 on: November 21, 2013, 07:13:44 AM »
There are Dutch sayings: "Zuivel op zuivel is overdaad" Dairy on dairy is excess and "Zuivel op zuivel is werk van de duivel" Dairy on dairy is work of the devil. Not really used anymore, but my father did still encounter it in his youth (about a century ago). Yes, it was seen as too much.

Thanks.  Reassures me that I really did read the anecdote about the long-ago irate dad; I had been wondering slightly, whether I'd only dreamt it...

English1

« Reply #127 on: November 22, 2013, 12:15:47 PM »
oh my. I've not had a banana sandwich (with butter) since I was a kid and now I really want one.

One of my guilty pleasures is a cheese and onion crisp (chip) sandwich with lots of butter and the crisps all crumbled up and mashed down into the butter.

Ooh and a cold roast chicken sandwich (cut off a proper roast chicken, not that ready cooked rubber rubbish) with salt and butter. Heaven...

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #128 on: November 22, 2013, 12:31:15 PM »
Good gracious, NO.

Still getting over being raised on nasty cheap, usually rancid margarine products. 

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #129 on: November 22, 2013, 03:49:22 PM »
Chip sandwich with butter and salt and vinegar. Want now.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #130 on: November 26, 2013, 01:35:48 PM »
I never heard of a chip butty and looked it up.  A diabetic's nightmare! ;)  I can't imagine eating one, but I can imagine eating it if you toss in something more firm, maybe some turkey or chicken.  Not with butter though.  I don't think I would like chips/fries with butter, though who knows?

crella

« Reply #131 on: November 26, 2013, 06:23:35 PM »
I never heard of a chip butty and looked it up.  A diabetic's nightmare! ;)  I can't imagine eating one, but I can imagine eating it if you toss in something more firm, maybe some turkey or chicken.  Not with butter though.  I don't think I would like chips/fries with butter, though who knows?

I had to look it up too, wow! My first thought was 'DH would go for that!'

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #132 on: November 26, 2013, 09:18:15 PM »
I don't butter my bread anymore; my mom used to, I just sort of...didn't.  It wasn't a conscious decision or because I don't like it.

I like things like mayo or mustard, especially spicy Dijon mustard.  Mmm.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Smulkin

« Reply #133 on: November 27, 2013, 06:41:23 AM »
 I stopped using butter when I make sandwiches for me, since the bother of getting butter out- buttering- putting butter away was not worth the small amount it adds to a plain sandwich (personal sandwiches are ridiculously plain). I don't dislike it as such, just not like it enough to go through the small amount of extra work. (Btw. I use 'butter' as a verb even though I don't often use real butter- butter substitute, blended or similar. That seems fairly common, as it's awkward to come up with another word for applying your not-really-butter.)
 I will butter for other people though, and if I buy a sandwich, it's expected and I don't mind it.
 Gooey condiments are the bane of my sandwich-eating existence. In supermarkets there are *very* few options without mayonnaise (yes, buttered as well) since it stretches out fillings and makes costs lower... but mayonnaise is one of my top Condiments of Terror. Ketchup, mustard, salad cream, brown sauce... I have a genuine fear of them. It's more a texture/appearance than a taste issue; mayonnaise doesn't taste that awful and I can stomach it if it's sparingly mixed in, but I'd rather not. Similarly I like the taste of mustard but can't eat it unless it's seeds or I've made it myself from seeds.
 So, I am quite firm on any 'butter vs. goo for lubricating sandwiches' argument.

However! I am also firm that there needs to be butter on a chip butty. Otherwise, why bother?

123sandy

« Reply #134 on: November 28, 2013, 12:48:07 PM »
Thanks for all the replies! It has been really interesting to see how differently people make a sandwich.

Now butter in mashed potatoes? No thank you! :D