Author Topic: I thought everyone did it this way...  (Read 9499 times)

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
Re: I thought everyone did it this way...
« Reply #135 on: November 28, 2013, 02:48:57 PM »
Thanks for all the replies! It has been really interesting to see how differently people make a sandwich.

Now butter in mashed potatoes? No thank you! :D

Mash *without* butter?!  Shudders.
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

Iris

« Reply #136 on: November 28, 2013, 03:41:07 PM »
Thanks for all the replies! It has been really interesting to see how differently people make a sandwich.

I stopped putting butter in my mashed potato because calories, but I have to agree that butter on mashed potato is deliciously divine.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #137 on: November 28, 2013, 03:49:49 PM »
Mash without butter is a traversity! I wouldn't want to imagine instant mashed potatoes without butter, they have no flavour at all. (Not that I have them a lot, but I have had them).

nayberry

« Reply #138 on: November 28, 2013, 06:41:29 PM »
I don't think I'd be exaggarating if I said that 99% of people in the UK use butter/margarine on sandwiches.

The only exception I can think of would be Jewish people keeping kosher, or people who are watching their diet very carefully. Even the vegans I know use vegan-friendly margarine! Actually, Jewish folk here probably use that too.

There must be some people here who don't out of preference, but I have literally never met them. Of course, mayo is much less common here. 

How can you have a chip butty without butter? Answer: you can't, because that would be a travesty.

and of course the best chip butties are dipped in chip shop gravy too :D  *wanders off happy*

oh my. I've not had a banana sandwich (with butter) since I was a kid and now I really want one.

One of my guilty pleasures is a cheese and onion crisp (chip) sandwich with lots of butter and the crisps all crumbled up and mashed down into the butter.

Ooh and a cold roast chicken sandwich (cut off a proper roast chicken, not that ready cooked rubber rubbish) with salt and butter. Heaven...

ohhh crisp sandwiches nomnomnom

another Brit here,  i only don't use butter, and i mean proper butter, on a sarnie if its got mayo/salad cream on it.

hubby loves pb+b sandwiches :)

and on marshmallow fluff... have you tried that with nutella on the other slcie?? now that is heaven! 

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #139 on: November 28, 2013, 06:54:16 PM »
I wish more places offered REAL butter in general, I used to work at Wendy's, and they give you Becel for the baked potatoes, sorry, that stuff is just vile, even Disney World only serves spread, it's one thing at the restaurants, but onsite at the food court, especially for those who don't have a car or are on a budget, and don't eat spread for some reason or another, it's bad enough it's the knock off of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter (yes I CAN believe it's not butter thank you very much!

OK, off my soapbox!

katycoo

« Reply #140 on: November 28, 2013, 10:02:35 PM »

Why not?  Bit of butter, bit of milk, S&P = winning.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #141 on: November 28, 2013, 10:50:36 PM »

Why not?  Bit of butter, bit of milk, S&P = winning.

+1 to katycoo's version of mash.  :)

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #142 on: November 29, 2013, 12:40:33 AM »
I wish more places offered REAL butter in general, I used to work at Wendy's, and they give you Becel for the baked potatoes, sorry, that stuff is just vile, even Disney World only serves spread, it's one thing at the restaurants, but onsite at the food court, especially for those who don't have a car or are on a budget, and don't eat spread for some reason or another, it's bad enough it's the knock off of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter (yes I CAN believe it's not butter thank you very much!

OK, off my soapbox!

Bevel butter is vile! It's like spreading water I. Toast. We used to add salt to it just to get some taste.

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #143 on: November 29, 2013, 03:22:52 AM »

OK, off my soapbox!

I wondered at first if that was that the stuff that comes in a squeezy bottle, but google is my friend...

Regarding "butter" in a squeezy bottle: I had never seen or heard of that before, but a couple of years ago I went with two friends on a road trip around the SW states (2 Brits and one home grown American there).  M and I - the Brits - went for breakfast at the motel (I think in Moab, in Utah) and I looked everywhere for butter for my toast. Nothing. So off I trotted to the concierge desk and asked for butter, only to be told it was in the squeezy bottle.  :o   ???  :-[  I wasn't rude, I promise you, but my astonishment - and, I have to say, disgust that someone would do that to defenceless dairy products - must have been very obvious!

We ate out, the next morning. I couldn't face that twice.
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

pharmagal

« Reply #144 on: November 29, 2013, 05:31:57 AM »
I love butter on bread to the point where I love a slice of fresh bread and butter.

People don't butter sandwiches? ???

Dittto. Australia/NZ born and raised here.

I'd never heard of (or seen) bread/sandwiches without butter or margarine until this thread. I just can't imagine it....

Same!  And the butter never seemed to stop the bread from going soggy by lunchtime.

I have managed to cut out butter on my vegemite and peanut butter toast in the mornings.  but it still goes on almost everything else.

How can you have a chip butty without butter? Answer: you can't, because that would be a travesty.

It would be like having it without some Tomato sauce.  It's just not possible.

There is nothing quite like making a sandwich out of fresh white bread, a layer of butter or marg, a swipe of Vegemite, a fistful of Bluebird Green Onion Chips (no other flavour or brand will do) and another topper of bread.

Dandelion

« Reply #145 on: November 30, 2013, 05:15:39 AM »
Another Canadian here. Formerly from Ontario, moved to BC as an adult. In my family, we all butter the bread for a sandwich. I will (lightly!) butter the bread before adding mustard or Miracle Whip to meat, and when I was a kid, and actually ate peanut butter sandwiches, the bread was buttered for those, too.

It's especially necessary when making tuna salad/chicken salad/devilled ham sandwiches, to prevent them becoming a soggy mess.  But otherwise simple sandwiches (like ham and cheese) dry out if the bread isn't buttered. You don't need that much, really. I can't imagine eating a sandwich dry.

About the only time it got spread fairly heavily was with a toasted tomato sandwich. Toast made in the toaster, spread with butter while it was hot, filled with lots of very thinly sliced tomato. The butter added the salt, and the bit of fat needed to give it the perfect mouth-feel.

Dang. Now I want one.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #146 on: November 30, 2013, 06:50:13 AM »
About the only time it got spread fairly heavily was with a toasted tomato sandwich. Toast made in the toaster, spread with butter while it was hot, filled with lots of very thinly sliced tomato.

Oh!  Is that what people mean by a "toasted sandwich"?  I was imagining this: http://www.hartsofstur.com/acatalog/CUISINART-GRSM1U-Sandwich-Toaster.gif

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #147 on: November 30, 2013, 09:24:42 AM »

My mom used to make mashed potatoes with milk, butter, a little salt and pepper, and garlic powder. It's sooo good, but she had to change to Swanson broth instead of milk and butter and take out the salt because my dad has diabetes and heart disease. I'm glad my dad's healthier, but the potatoes just don't taste the same.  :-\
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter