Author Topic: s/o stolen pink hat weirdness - what's the weirdest thing ever stolen from you?  (Read 9852 times)

zyrs

• spiffily male.
The thread in "All in a Day's Work" about the stolen pink hat reminded me of the weirdest thing ever stolen from me.

I had an apartment with a huge floor to ceiling window that overlooked the walkway.  One day I came home from work to find that the window had been jimmied open. 

They stole:  One pair of platform shoes. (this was in 1976)   That's it.

So, what's the weirdest thing ever stolen from you?

BarensMom

I hate to say it, but I think a family member may have stolen my back scratcher.

Coralreef

Someone stole the combination lock on the storage shed door, only the lock... nothing was moved from the shed.   ???

[/right

Jones

Two years ago my hairbrush, a cheap plastic one, disappeared from my work desk drawer. To date it still has not reappeared. My replacement brush hasn't disappeared yet though.

Dazi

• like the flower
A cornish game hen and sweet potato pie.  The theif was caught and punished because The home ec teacher knew immdiately that it was my pie (the previous year I had only baked a billion of them for some stupid bake sale fundraiser).
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
Breakfast fixin's for Christmas morning...sausage, cheese, and some other items I don't remember. I had made a special trip to the grocery store to get particular favorites so I could make DH breakfast on Christmas morning. When I went to get them out of the fridge, they were gone.

That prompted us to take a closer look around the house and we found several smaller items had also been stolen. Several watches I had on my dresser, waiting for me to have new batteries put in (back then when I wore watches I was bad about new batteries...I would just buy a new watch instead. I had laid out several of them, determined to break that bad habit). My husband's wedding ring, which was in a ring box on the top shelf of his closed (he never wore it because he worked with machinery at the time that made it unwise to wear rings/jewelry) and other items that one could easily put in his pocket.

At the time we had contractors in our house re-doing our bathroom. I had told the owner of the company that he was absolutely not to leave any of them alone in the house-I required him to be present at all times his contractors were there (while we were at work). He objected, but agreed. Apparently he didn't do so. When I confronted him about the stolen items he insisted it must have been our neighbor.

The neighbor that is one of our best friends.
The neighbor that was renting his house from us.
The neighbor that made more money than we did.
The neighbor that was recovering from a broken neck, wearing a halo and had very limited mobility.

Yeah. He did it. Right.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Both happened at work. First one was a very old, but not quite ratty, cardigan I kept in the office. Second, was again, a very old, knit jacket, again that i kept in the office. At first I thought I had taken them home, but they were both nowhere to be found. I think since they both had labels from a rather nice women's store, someone figured they'd take them.

Neither was particularly valuable, and both were old, but it was weird.

Goosey

Small statuary from my front garden!

cwm

One day while I was living in an apartment in college, I got woken up by my neighbors (good friends) telling me to come check my car. I had a soft top car, and the back window was plastic. It had been sliced open and a sum total of one warm blanket and a school workbook had been stolen. The workbook wasn't even a textbook, it was literally the workbook for one teacher's section of a class, and couldn't be returned. I had to tell the teacher that day why I didn't have my homework (one of my friends was also a classmate and vouched for me), and she had to get one reprinted, as she only had enough made every year to cover her classes.

The super nice part? She bought it for me. I miss that teacher. She took CARE of her studnets, however she could.

Pen^2

I was once in a library when a complete stranger nearby had a seizure and passed out. I called an ambulance and did my best to stabilise him (he was fine in the end), and while I was doing so, someone stole my notebook. It was full of random scribbles and reminders, with very few blank pages, and looked very worn and cheap. Not useful to anyone at all.

I've had other, more expensive items stolen from me, but this one really makes me angry. Everyone else in the library just glanced at the guy vomiting and twitching unconsciously before going back to mucking about on Facebook. I was the only one who did anything. The absolute apathy alone had me feeling sick for days. The idea that someone took this opportunity to steal something full of scribbles and useless anyway just makes me hot under the collar.

Scumbag.

rose red

• Super Hero!
I had Winnie-The-Pooh and Piglet pins stuck to my workspace wall.  They were a set, but someone stole Piglet so the set is now broken up >:(.  The way the pins were designed, Pooh looks odd without the Piglet.

There was also a time when the workplace gave us a small box of chocolate as a reward for....something (I forget what).  They were tied with a ribbon.  I had about two or three boxes.  One day when I finally opened a box, the chocolate was gone.  I then opened all the boxes to the same thing.  The nervy (yet funny) thing was that whoever stole the chocolates tied all the boxes back neatly and prettily with the ribbons.

ETA:  Can someone please point me to the pink hat thread?  I can't seem to find it.  Thanks. (ETA2:  Nevermind.  I found it.)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 12:29:09 PM by rose red »

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
A flag, right off the flagpole.  Twice.

It was stolen one night.  A week or so later, Dad got a replacement up, which was promptly stolen.  He was so mad, he set up a sting - attached fishing line to it, ran through the window into my parents bedroom into a can so it would somehow rattle and wake him.  But they never came back for a third go.

We figure it was the local juvenile delinquents out for a lark.

Not unusual but weird because I thought I knew the people I worked with.  I set my sunglasses down on the lunchroom table while I was unpacking something.  I forgot them and left them there.  When I remembered and came back, they were gone.  And they never turned up despite me sending out an email asking if anyone had seen them.  There are only about 40 of us working here and I have my suspicions as to who took them but I can't prove it.  They were expensive, too.  Made me so mad.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
My still-wet laundry from a dorm dryer in college. Not so weird though, I guess, since the thief carefully picked through it and stole the few name-brand items and left me my socks and sweats.

guihong

• Super Hero!
When our apartment was burgled a few years ago, the burglars got away with electronics, which was expected, but also made off with four hampers of dirty clothes and laundry.  My only guess is that they thought it would be less suspicious to walk out with laundry (could be going to the laundromat) than computers and a DVR.  The only humor out of that burglary was that it was my "female time" and they were in for a rude shock ;).  I also had to buy us some new clothes and towels, and didn't have to do the laundry.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
I had Winnie-The-Pooh and Piglet pins stuck to my workspace wall.  They were a set, but someone stole Piglet so the set is now broken up >:(.  The way the pins were designed, Pooh looks odd without the Piglet.

There was also a time when the workplace gave us a small box of chocolate as a reward for....something (I forget what).  They were tied with a ribbon.  I had about two or three boxes.  One day when I finally opened a box, the chocolate was gone.  I then opened all the boxes to the same thing.  The nervy (yet funny) thing was that whoever stole the chocolates tied all the boxes back neatly and prettily with the ribbons.

ETA:  Can someone please point me to the pink hat thread?  I can't seem to find it.  Thanks.

Here you go, Rose Red Should he stay or should he go?