Author Topic: s/o stolen pink hat weirdness - what's the weirdest thing ever stolen from you?  (Read 10059 times)

Dazi

• like the flower
Sounds like the people who are having critical meds stolen need to invest in a small locking box.  Search on Amazon for "cash box" and there are several for less than $20.

My dad takes a multitude of expensive prescription drugs daily.  Last year, his roommates' son came to live with them all and his pain medication started disappearing.  At first he thought the pharmacy accidentally shorted him, but then he started counting them when he got them and then daily.  At my insistence he got a lock box, but it got pried open and put back together (he saw the screw driver marks on the outside).  He got a better box.

Then the day came when someone figured out how to get in the new lock box and stole some Colchicine. It's for gout and creates extremely loose stools (some other side effects are diarrhea, vomiting, extreme stomach cramps). I have to say, I initially laughed like a loon when dad called me to tell me what was taken. Then he told me how many were taken, nearly a full bottle. Holy poopadities!I told him the guy really needed to get to an ER ASAP because taking that many Colchicine is really, really going to be BAD...maybe a few would just cause spending a day on the toilet, but being really stupid and taking nearly a whole bottle would cause a severe blood pressure drop, heart arrhythmia, maybe even death.

Dad told the parents of the boy that they needed to take him to the the ER like right now because he was pretty sure he'd stolen and taken his drugs.  They didn't believe him, their little precious would never do something like that. What to guess who ended up at the ER after downing about half of them thinking they were pain drugs? If you guessed the son, you'd be correct (FTR, the son was in his 20s, so not a little kid, just stupid).  The son ended up calling 911 himself because he thought he was having a heart attack.  He's actually really lucky he didn't die.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
How did the parents react to that?  Did things get resolved so that your dad's medication stopped being stolen?

Dazi

• like the flower
How did the parents react to that?  Did things get resolved so that your dad's medication stopped being stolen?

The ER had him committed on a suicide watch (which I think they had to). The boy is currently in a non-voluntary in-house drug treatment program (I can only assume it was court ordered).  My dad moved out. 

The parents still insist it was all some big misunderstanding, that he didn't mean to take them. Yeah, cause you can accidentally spend hours breaking into a secure lock box, steal unknown drugs out of it, and take 15-20 of them unintentionally <severe sarcasm>.  ::)  They sure aren't doing him any favors.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

drzim

How about a shopping bag full of used diapers?   :o

I was Xmas shopping when my kids were little, and there was a big diaper blowout.  At the time, the easiest and fastest detour for the necessary change was my car (also the clean clothes were in the car as well).  So I proceeded to change and clean up the kiddo, then the other one needed a change so I did that one also.  The only bag I had was a store shopping bag so all the used diapers/wipes went in there.  I absentmindedly left the bag next to my trunk underneath my car and didn't realize it until we were back inside the mall.  I figured I'd just get it when we went back. 

Except when we returned about an hour later, it was gone.  I looked up and down the aisle to see if it had been moved and dropped again but it was nowhere to be seen.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!

The ER had him committed on a suicide watch (which I think they had to). The boy is currently in a non-voluntary in-house drug treatment program (I can only assume it was court ordered).  My dad moved out. 

The parents still insist it was all some big misunderstanding, that he didn't mean to take them. Yeah, cause you can accidentally spend hours breaking into a secure lock box, steal unknown drugs out of it, and take 15-20 of them unintentionally <severe sarcasm>.  ::)  They sure aren't doing him any favors.
Dear gods -- if they HAD been Vicodin, the kid would probably be dead or on the top of the waiting list for transplant, because the acetominophen component would have destroyed his liver. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
On the subject of stolen drugs...

I once worked with an anaesthetist who always took her prepared drugs with her into the tea room before surgery.  One day I asked her why.

Somebody once stole drugs off somebody she knew, not knowing what was in each syringe, and had been found later on dead in the toilet, needle still in his arm.

He'd injected the paralyzing agent rather than the narcotic. 

ishka

I had an astro-boy wallet.  A plastic wallet with a big astro-boy face.  It certainly didn't look expensive, but it had been given to me and I liked it and used it.

I was emptying out my handbag onto my desk looking for something and I took the wallet out and put it on the desk.  A co-worker who was passing picked it up, opened it and started taking out the bit of cash and the debit card that were in it.  I asked her what she was doing and we had the following conversation:

her:  Oh my son loves Astro-boy, he'll love this.
me:  ??? that's my wallet
her: That's OK.  I've never seen one like this before.  I'll give it to him for his birthday, it looks nearly new.
me: ??? ??? -Reaches out to take it from her. - It's mine.
her:- Moving it out of my reach. - I'll get you something else to keep your stuff in, he really loves Astro Boy.
me: NO! Are you crazy?  Give me my wallet.
her: What's the big deal, it's just plastic.  Aren't you a bit old for things like this.  My son's fourteen, this is made for someone his age.
me: Give it to me right now or I will report that you stole my wallet.
her: I've taken all your stuff out, I'm not stealing anything from you.  Look, here's $10, you can buy something else to use. 
me: snatches wallet out of her hand. 
her: You are just selfish  My son would love that and I don't know where I can get one like it.  It's a comic book character, it's for kids, honestly I've never seen anything so pathetic as you hanging onto your plastic comic book wallet.  Why don't you grow up?

She then went around and told everybody how pathetic I was with my cheap plastic wallet (which I carried in my expensive leather handbag) but luckily she avoided me from then on.

scotcat60

You are just selfish  My son would love that and I don't know where I can get one like it.  It's a comic book character, it's for kids, honestly I've never seen anything so pathetic as you hanging onto your plastic comic book wallet.  Why don't you grow up?

She then went around and told everybody how pathetic I was with my cheap plastic wallet (which I carried in my expensive leather handbag) but luckily she avoided me from then on.

My mind is still boggling! And she accused you of being selfish? My flabber is ghasted!

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
my garbage. I was too lazy to put my shoes on late at night so I put the bag of garbage on the front porch to take it to the garbage can on my way to the car the next morning. Got up and someone had opened the gate, gone onto the porch and stole the bag. They were in for some fun when they opened it as I had changed the cat boxes. :)

Dazi

• like the flower
I think I posted this before...

I had a possum steal a fairly large bag of cat food out of my garage.

Tsaiko

My friend had a Christmas tree stolen from her house when she was in high school.

The important part is what wasn't stolen. All the wrapped gifts were neatly stacked in the corned of the room. All the ornaments, some antique that had been in the family for generations, were carefully laid out on the couch and chair with the hooks still on them. All the lights were coiled up and set on the coffee table along with the angel tree topper. Even the tree stand was left, though they'd drained the water out of it. After inventorying everything, the only thing missing was the tree. My friend's family called the police anyway because who ever it was busted out a window and kicked open the door, so they needed the police report for insurance purposes.

They figured that whoever broke in didn't want to disappoint their kids but couldn't afford a Christmas tree. My friend's Dad said if he'd known, he would have bought them one. Certainly cheaper than replacing a window and door.

WishUponAStar

her: I've taken all your stuff out, I'm not stealing anything from you.  Look, here's $10, you can buy something else to use. 
me: snatches wallet out of her hand. 
her: You are just selfish  My son would love that and I don't know where I can get one like it.  It's a comic book character, it's for kids, honestly I've never seen anything so pathetic as you hanging onto your plastic comic book wallet.  Why don't you grow up?

:o :o :o
I'm glad she avoided you after that. What a ridiculous woman!

Elfmama

• Super Hero!

her: I've taken all your stuff out, I'm not stealing anything from you.
Just the wallet!  Would it be exceedingly rude to insist on being given back your wallet with increasing volume until everyone in the office was aware that Thief Woman was attempting to steal it?

What goes on in some people's heads?  Wasn't it this forum where a member had someone walk into her house and declare that they were going to buy it, then send their kids upstairs to "pick out their new bedrooms"?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 02:06:01 AM by Elfmama »
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.

her: I've taken all your stuff out, I'm not stealing anything from you.
Just the wallet!  Would it be exceedingly rude to insist on being given back your wallet with increasing volume until everyone in the office was aware that Thief Woman was attempting to steal it?

I don't know about the rudeness factor, but I expect that would be my instinctive reaction.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture