Author Topic: What makes a stellar customer during the holiday rush?  (Read 1199 times)

Amara

Re: What makes a stellar customer during the holiday rush?
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2013, 03:48:14 PM »
It is a wonderful gesture, esposita. And I mean not just for the recipient but for me. There's something about it that absolutely brightens those moments for me.

cwm

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2013, 03:56:54 PM »
Patience and a smile for the employees do go a long way for retail and service industries.

When I was in the grooming salon, our store would be booked up 5-6 weeks in advance. People would scream profanities at us, we were ruining *insert holiday here* because they just realized that their dog was a matted mess, and how could they possibly have a dirty dog running around when Great Aunt Ida was going to be here? The same customers did this every year, for at least the four years we had the computer system to keep notes in.

The ones who booked early, who recognized that we didn't have any openings for their preferred times, and who were just nice about us being full were usually the first ones called off the waiting list. And the customers who we knew were more willing to be flexible with us and leave their dog a bit longer were also squeezed in.

When I'm shopping, I try to be patient with everyone and smile at the employees, and thank them for helping me. Yes, it's their job, but sometimes a kind word can make the day that much better.

Girlie

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2013, 04:31:44 PM »
Having worked in the grocery business, I agree with the posters who recommend a nice smile, a bit of patience, and a kind word is all that's really needed.

Because I've been there, I pick one or two cashiers or baggers in the places I spend the most time around the holidays (a grocery store, Wal-Mart, Target, etc.), and I'll buy a $5 gift card from their store and give it to them and tell them to have a drink and snack on me. I always love that moment when it clicks and they realize someone they don't know is giving them something nice. It makes me feel good. :)