Author Topic: Dinner ideas for the Friday after Thanksgiving?  (Read 2164 times)

workerbee

Dinner ideas for the Friday after Thanksgiving?
« on: November 19, 2013, 10:23:27 AM »
By way of background, my extended family (brothers, sisters, spouses, children all under 6) gets together for the Thanksgiving weekend at my mother's house every year. We do the full turkey/dressing/trimmings meal on Thursday around 2pm and then for the rest of the weekend it's basically....leftovers. And not leftovers turned into turkey soup or curry or anything....just literally pull out the same serving dishes from the fridge and everyone helps themselves.

By about noon on Saturday I have had my fill (pretty sure everyone else has too), but nothing has really changed over the years. This time, I'm determined to introduce something different (if only for my own sanity!). So I am trying to come up with a relatively simple, appealing meal to serve for dinner Friday night. On Saturday we traditionally go to a friend's open house (so it's another round of "holiday" foods).

So I'm trying to come up with something different, but (1) relatively easy to prepare, since we've just put in a huge effort and (2) fairly simple, since we've just had a couple days of heavy eating.

Any ideas?

MindsEye

Re: Dinner ideas for the Friday after Thanksgiving?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 10:33:55 AM »
So... are you looking for recipes to use up the leftovers, or for ways to avoid the leftovers? 

If you want something easy and something that avoids the leftovers... what about tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches?

If you want something easy that uses some of the leftovers... what about turkey quesadillas?

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 10:41:46 AM »
How about something easy and simple like spaghetti? Or pizza?

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 10:46:10 AM »
If the weather is nice, I'd BBQ. Otherwise, how about a big pot of chile or soup with a hearty bread?
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

CakeBeret

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 10:57:20 AM »
You could repurpose the leftovers into something non-thanksgiving.

Shred the turkey and use it to make buffalo chicken (turkey) dip to serve with tortilla chips, or use it in a pasta dish.

Make potato balls out of the leftover mashed potatoes: http://www.cooks.com/recipe/2b4ys3to/mashed-potato-balls.html

Put leftover veggies, gravy, and turkey into a big stock pot with tomato juice/puree and make into a vegetable soup.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

anniehawks

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 11:02:02 AM »
We like turkey, bacon and cheddar sandwiches on Italian bread cooked in a panini press (cook the bacon first.)  We also take the leftover mashed potatoes and make potato cakes with an egg, cheese and maybe some grilled onions and peppers.  If you want something completely different, I would go with pasta.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 12:28:10 PM by anniehawks »

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 11:06:56 AM »
Ham is easy--you just make sure not to overcook it.

cwm

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 11:11:39 AM »
I'm always a fan of meatloaf. It's easy to make, can be utterly delicious, and to me is such a different consistency and flavor from the turkey the day before that it's a great break.

Actually, anything with red meat, for me. Then again, I can barely stand turkey on Thanksgiving, so getting an out from leftovers is perfect.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 12:26:58 PM »
Turkey pot pie
Kabobs
Stir fry

Zizi-K

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 12:28:00 PM »
How about a big fresh salad? After days of gorging on Thanksgiving fare, I know my system is crying "uncle!" and my arteries are crying out for vegetables!

gingerzing

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 12:50:35 PM »
Whatever you choose, I would go with finding something that the main part works in a slow cooker/crockpot.

Some menu ideas:
-Chili with a side of cornbread and a nice green salad (because I agree about the veggie comment)
-Pulled pork sandwiches* serve with store bought potato salad or slaw.  Use leftover rolls and make sliders.  Or serve the pulled pork over mac and cheese.  YUM.
-Crockpot fajitas.  Slow cook pork, chicken, beef (heck, tofu if you want)  (http://www.zonya.com/pdf/recipes/Crock_Pot_Fajitas.pdf
-Ham actually can be done in a slow cooker if you didn't have it for Thanksgiving.  (My grandmother would have both a bird and a ham) You could serve with the leftover sides.

*http://www.porkbeinspired.com/RecipeDetail/1861/Lazy_Mans_Barbecue_Pork_Sandwiches.aspx (though I have never used the sauce because we have a favorite sauce we buy)

Amara

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 01:07:45 PM »
A taco/burrito/tostado/nachos buffet. You can use the leftover turkey in place of chicken if you like. Ingredients to offer:

Meat
Soy "meat"
Beans
Cheese (Aņejo, Asadero, Chihuahua, Cotija, Queso Fresco, Queso de Oaxaca, Queso Panela, or plain Cheddar)
Lettuce
Onions
Tomatoes
Olives
Salsa (two or three to suit various heat preferences)
Sour cream or Greek yogurt
Guacamole or slices/chunks of avocado

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 01:10:16 PM »
We always like to do a mexican style soup.  Here's the basics.

If you have a turkey carcass, put it with some chicken stock in a crock pot with some onion, celery and bell pepper and cook on low over night. (or you can just use canned chicken stock).

Strain your stock and either return to the crock pot or put in a stock pot if you are cooking it on the stove.  You'll want about 6 to 8 cups (3 or 4 cans if using canned)

Add any of the following:
Diced carrots, onion, celery, bell peppers
Diced Zuchinni and or yellow squash
Green Beans
Corn or white hominy or both
Can of drained black beans
(Or you can use a mix of frozen vegetables that you like)

Can of tomatoes with green chiles
Can of fire roasted tomatoes
Chili Powder, ground cumin, salt and pepper to taste

Cook till veggies are done to your preference. Add left over turkey that's been chopped or shredded or you can go meatless.
Squeeze in a couple of limes after you take off the heat.

Serve with the following condiments.
Brown or White rice
Cilantro
Salsa Verde
Sour Cream
Monterrey Jack cheese or cheddar or queso blanco crumbled
Tortillia chips

Or we'll do the same thing with the turkey stock and instead make a turkey and andouille sausage gumbo.

Or my sister will use a ham bone and make red beans and rice.

doodlemor

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 01:44:34 PM »
You could get busy and make several kinds of soup this week, and freeze it up for that Friday.  If anyone still wanted a turkey sandwich they could have it with the soups, otherwise you could serve some plain rolls and maybe salad with it.

My favorite hearty soups are chicken noodle, beef vegetable, and Swedish yellow pea soup [artsoppa.]  I think that chili would work well, too.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 02:29:10 PM »
Personally, I looove the leftovers. They are my favorite part. So you may want to be aware that some of the other guests may be a little disapointed by non turkey food.

My mother is law does a very simple Boxing Day dinner that I look forward to every year.

Leftover turkey chopped and lightly browned in the frying pan. Add the leftover gravy and heat.
Mashed potatoes fried/browned in the frying pan
Everything else heated in the oven.

My mom does a large curried tukey soup and fresh bread and salad

My husband does turkey sandwiches.