Poll

It's my favorite part of the meal - but lots of opinions on which one is the best ! So how do you like yours ? what's your base and add ins - choose as many options as you want !

In the turkey
23 (20.2%)
On the side
41 (36%)
All homemade
37 (32.5%)
Start with the packet ! and add from there
11 (9.6%)
Oyster stuffing ( which I hate and I thin kshould be banned from Thanks giving !
2 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Author Topic: How do you like your stuffing ( dressing )  (Read 1077 times)

Ginger G

Re: How do you like your stuffing ( dressing )
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2014, 09:14:46 AM »
I'll use Stovetop occasionally for a quick weeknight dinner side, but for holidays it must be homemade at my house.  We call it dressing in my family and it's cooked on the side, not in the bird.  I went to dinner at someone else's house one time and they had stuffed it inside the bird and we all got food poisoning from it, so I'm not a fan of it cooked that way.

Specky

« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2014, 10:42:56 AM »
My mother latched on to oyster dressing with celery when I was about 8.  I hated it, so did without stuffing until I was out on my own.

We're going to do a traditional Thanksgiving meal this year, the first time in a long time.  No oysters or celery!  We will do it with spiced croutons, butter, homemade broth, onions and mushrooms.  My eldest child wants to make the croutons from scratch.

Jones

« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2014, 05:33:05 PM »
My goodness are there no other Stovetop lovers out there.... I must be the only heathen.

I love Stovetop year round, use it in casseroles and such.

This year is our turn for Thanksgiving and MIL is allergic to garlic and soy, so no Stovetop or Mrs. Cubbison's. DH has been looking into options.

CakeBeret

« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2014, 05:40:57 PM »
I like mine outside the bird, preferably with bacon. This year I was planning on doing a fairly traditional bacon and bread stuffing, and I was at the store and happened across a box of beautiful croissants. So I made bacon croissant stuffing. It looks amazing - but it's going in the freezer until the big day, much as I want to eat it now!
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2014, 06:01:46 PM »
Another good place to use croutons is on top of green beans, they keep their texture much longer than breadcrumbs.

I will make my cornbread Monday night and the dressing Tuesday. I'll take a small pan of it Wednesday night to the in-laws at the condo, a bigger pan to our friend's dinner Thursday and have a pan for our family feast Friday and leftovers.

jmarvellous

« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2014, 06:43:27 PM »
Joining the 'no stuffing for me, please' lineup.

I've not eaten it in as long as I can remember. Theoretically, it's stuff I like (celery's great, bread is good, savory herbs and onions are some of my favorite things) minus the turkey juices or meat bits or what have you, but the idea of it just turns my stomach.

I've not seen it on a dinner table in ages, either. It's basically like eating a rich breading without something underneath it, right?

lilfox

« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2014, 10:20:26 PM »
I use Stovetop exclusively.  Well, almost - I made stuffing from scratch once and it was really tasty but so much work, it wasn't worth the payoff to me.  It also doesn't work well in layered leftover casseroles, and Stovetop is perfect for that texture-wise and amount-wise (1 box per casserole).  Almost always the Turkey flavor, but have done Chicken (with roast chicken) and Cornbread, which was okay but didn't seem Thanksgiving-y to me.

I do not like any stuffing with fruit, especially dried fruit, or sausage or other meats that are not turkey.  A relative makes sausage stuffing so when they host, I can eat it but not with gravy or in bites with the other foods.  Last time she made it, she added something sweet that I couldn't identify (cloves, maybe?) but it was jarring.  Worse, she made the layered casserole with that stuffing and rendered it inedible to me.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2014, 07:33:45 AM »
Brunhilde did that one year and also did something sweet with yams.  Her sister was quite precise about not liking this so never again.

Waltraude can be too blunt for manners but sometimes that gets the job done.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2014, 01:47:05 PM »
No stuffing in the bird after a memorable Christmas many years ago when Grandma gave us all food poisoning.  Anywhere I go, I politely ask if the stuffing was in the bird and if so, I decline even though stuffing is my *favorite* part of a turkey dinner.

That's why they recommend that you not make it inside the bird, despite the better flavor. I have seen some recommendations that cooking the stuffing before putting it in the bird (thereby raising the internal temperature) is safe.

I believe that Mrs.k2002 makes hers starting with the pan drippings from the roasted bird. No mixes.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2014, 02:27:59 PM »
No stuffing in the bird after a memorable Christmas many years ago when Grandma gave us all food poisoning.  Anywhere I go, I politely ask if the stuffing was in the bird and if so, I decline even though stuffing is my *favorite* part of a turkey dinner.

That's why they recommend that you not make it inside the bird, despite the better flavor. I have seen some recommendations that cooking the stuffing before putting it in the bird (thereby raising the internal temperature) is safe.

I believe that Mrs.k2002 makes hers starting with the pan drippings from the roasted bird. No mixes.

I use pan drippings also, best dressing in the world.  (says I humbly)