Author Topic: Family Band?!  (Read 6119 times)

lmyrs

Re: Family Band?!
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 08:45:24 AM »
The other thing to consider is that even if you all sound beautiful and together in the living room, if there aren't mics, amps, a really good quality video camera to pick up the sound and some sort of post-production mixing software (even a free home-based one) it's not going to sound as good on tape. It will likely sound kind of bad.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, 08:48:22 AM »
Oh, I am so thankful my family only wants to eat on the holidays!   ;D ;D  No one should be forced into doing something they are uncomfortable with and you should be honest with your mom and tell her that it won't work for your DH. 

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2013, 11:36:20 AM »
OP, I feel your pain. I grew up in a family where music - and only a certain type of music - was valued. As a result, all 6 of us kids were expected to take up an instrument (with limitations; no guitars or drums per our religious beliefs). So, cue many years later, there are still expectations that we perform on command. I am the black sheep and quit all that many years ago. Amazingly, I am 52 and the pressure is still there! Stay strong....just say no.  >:D

BeagleMommy

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2013, 12:07:03 PM »
I was the performer in my family.  Church choir, school show chorus, drama, etc.  This type of thing would have mortified my parents and brother.  They are just not into performing in front of people.  Even though I was the performer, I was not comfortable performing on command.  I usually needed to rehearse and prepare.

Has your mother even heard your DH sing?  Can he sing?  I might want to say to Mom "You know, DH feels really uncomfortable doing this.  He's going to pass/film behind the scenes/etc.

As far as your sister learning guitar in 8 days.  That's a stretch.  She might be able to pluck out "Mary Had a Little Lamb" or something else that is very simple, but anything else is unlikely.

PeterM

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2013, 12:30:07 PM »
A couple days ago, my mom emailed everyone saying how fun it would be if we each brought an instrument and learned a few songs, then recorded a video of ourselves for the extended family.

I can wrap my head around the idea of someone, somewhere in the world, thinking this would be fun. I'm having a harder time with the concept of that person actually expecting other people to agree it'd be fun. It hits me, personally, about like someone proposing "Family Dental Checkup Day!" as a fun holiday activity.

I think you should tell your mom as soon as possible, so it doesn't turn into "Everything was going fine until you ruined it at the last minute!" It's up to you whether to take the blame or just say your husband isn't into it but you're game, but I'd go with the latter. If your mom will be upset by the fact that not everyone wants to perform on camera to meet her whims, that's her problem rather than yours.

Julsie

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2013, 01:05:03 PM »
It hits me, personally, about like someone proposing "Family Dental Checkup Day!" as a fun holiday activity.

Yeah, we just celebrated this on Monday.  It was not fun.  The extended family couldn't make it.  It was just me and six of my children.  The dentist gave out gold coins for his prize machine and gift bags of toothbrushes and dental floss.

Heaven help me, we'll be celebrating again in the spring, sometime around Easter.  This time Family Dental Checkup Day will include Mommy's Mimosa Luncheon.

leafeater

• Cool Stuff Onlie
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2013, 02:06:47 PM »
I spoke to my mom last night and tried to hint that I wasn't really into this. I thought she got the message, but then today I got this email (also sent to the rest of the family, including my husband):

"I heard "Under Pressure" today and could really visualize Leafeater and Husband singing the part that goes "LET ME OUT!"  So I think there is the best song - I can sing all the regular singing parts, and Dad can sing the "noises" and you 3 kids can sing the exclamations like "That's ok!"  I can play the keyboard and kids could play kitchen tools while scooting around the scene, in and out, and Dad, well, you can just do your thing, which will be just great!"

I mean... :o We three kids can scoot around playing kitchen tools? I'm thirty. This might have been cute when I was five. My husband's all upset, and while I maybe could have handled playing the piano for this, I'm not going to sing. Not even shouty background vocals. I have huge ridiculous hangups about singing, and that's never been a secret.

So, I responded:

"I won't be singing. I'm sorry.

I think this is a good idea in theory, but maybe we can come up with a project that uses talents we actually have. I don't have any real musical ability, and I get that that isn't the point, but I would be really conscious of that fact if I tried to pull this off."

I am really hoping this doesn't hurt her feelings, but that she gets the message.

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2013, 02:18:23 PM »
Tell her that you won't sing, but you will be glad to record it and upload to YouTube.  >:D

I hope this isn't rude, but it sounds like your Mom has watched too many episodes of The Brady Bunch.

esposita

• If you have the power to make someone happy, do it
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2013, 02:28:35 PM »
Has she been watching a lot of youtube videos lately?

I think sometimes certain people see the popular, adorable, funny family videos on youtube and just assume that they magically, spontaneously happened while someone was holding a point-and-shoot camera. They don't understand all the effort and equipment and planning and time it takes to make a silly but polished 3 minute long video. Maybe send her a youtube video of a professional family singing, and then dig around and find one that is just plain not-well-done (poor audio, poor camera skills, etc.)?

Not that you need to add anything to what you have already said. It just might give her an idea. I know a lot of times I see something, for example on pinterest, and it takes me a few minutes to figure out that my attempt at recreating the thing would probably just fall flat in a horrible way, because I don't have the right skills nor the inclination to learn them.

leafeater

• Cool Stuff Onlie
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2013, 02:47:05 PM »
I mean, the funny thing about all this is that I work as a video editor. I show her the videos I make for work and talk about the hours that go into them. She sees how, even with all that work and all my equipment and software, it can come out looking kind of amateurish. And when this all got started, I even suggested that maybe that could be my contribution to the project, but she turned me down.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2013, 02:49:01 PM »
Anyone else find it funny that she thinks "Under Pressure" is a great family sing along?

RooRoo

• Iím out of my mind. Please leave a message.
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2013, 09:13:20 PM »
Snort! ;D

I found the song on Youtube and it's playing as I type. Like most of Queen's music, it is far from simple, musically. I won't go in to details; I'll just say that there's no way it would work! Syncopation, triplets, playing with the key as Freddie Mercury so loved to do... All difficult for any amateur. I'm remembering how hard we members of the college's small concert choir (16 people) worked to master just the first two.

I think you need to conspire with the rest of the family, and present a united front to Mom. Perhaps avoiding that subject and addressing her planning - "Mom, we all just want to visit with you and each other. Please don't worry about entertaining us!"
"Someday we must write a book of Etiquette for sensible people," said Mrs. Morland, "though apart from a few rules it really boils down to an educated mind and a kind heart." ~ Angela Thirkell, Never Too Late

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2013, 03:38:48 AM »

When I saw the first email, I was thinking of something like Kumbaya, or Jingle Bells - the kind of thing that's often done as a singalong among people with little musical training.

She's planning on playing the keyboards while singing vocals? Presumably by ear?  While other people come in with different backup vocals? Just how good a musician is your mother (my guess is not very, or she'd know just how hard this is).

Have you talked to your sister? A two person "No mom, it's not happening!" might be a good idea at this point.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2013, 09:47:34 AM »
Snort! ;D

I found the song on Youtube and it's playing as I type. Like most of Queen's music, it is far from simple, musically. I won't go in to details; I'll just say that there's no way it would work! Syncopation, triplets, playing with the key as Freddie Mercury so loved to do... All difficult for any amateur. I'm remembering how hard we members of the college's small concert choir (16 people) worked to master just the first two.

I think you need to conspire with the rest of the family, and present a united front to Mom. Perhaps avoiding that subject and addressing her planning - "Mom, we all just want to visit with you and each other. Please don't worry about entertaining us!"

Add to the fact that this song was done by Freddie Mercury AND David Bowie as a duet and that throws you into another realm of difficulty.

OP, does your mom often make "grand plans" regarding holiday celebrations?

daen

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2013, 10:00:24 AM »
I'm looking at doing a "family band" type thing, but it will involve something like this:http://www.amazon.com/12-Luxury-Concerto-Christmas-Crackers/dp/B000WGTFYO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385045718&sr=8-1&keywords=christmas+crackers
Basically, everyone gets a tuned noisemaker, each a different note, and with the included music sheets and a conductor to prompt the playing of the correct noisemaker at the correct time, music results. Or, as the description says, chaos.

That's about the level of impromptu I'll ask from my family at a gathering, and everyone except my dad and one brother-in-law has taken several years of music lessons.

(Depending on how it goes with my family, I might try it with my co-workers. They're all good sports, so if it's easy enough...)