Author Topic: Share Your Christmas Stories  (Read 10285 times)

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
Share Your Christmas Stories
« on: November 20, 2013, 06:44:59 PM »
You know, those things that happened years ago, and everyone still talks about them.

1. I was about 4 and a half, my sister not even 2.  My mother had scored some major bargains that year, and my parents were so excited about all the gifts that they woke us up to catch the awe and joy on our faces.  So there are photos of my sister and I, eyes bleary with sleep, staring blankly at all these toys with only the enthusiasm a catatonic can muster.  My mother said she learned to let us wake up on our own from there on in.

2.  A few years ago, my sister decided to have all the females do the "spa" thing in the late afternoon when there is that deadly lull.  We were doing paraffin treatments on our hands and feet, and cleansing pores, etc.  My brother in law sneaks out in the kitchen to sneak a turkey sandwich, and right next to the refrigerator is a jar of Brown Sugar something.  Neat!  Some sweet condiment!  He takes a generous spoonful of Brown Sugar Skin Scrub.  He rinsed his mouth out about a dozen times and still complained about the taste.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

BarensMom

Re: Share Your Christmas Stories
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 07:58:31 PM »
When I was about 21, we all managed to get together for one of the last Christmases spent as a whole family.  During present unwrapping, one of my sisters got the idea to stick the bow on my father's head.  Everyone else after that either draped or stuck their bows onto my father.  Someone in the family has a picture of my father covered in bows, trying to cart all the boxes to the trash.

That was also the Christmas that we had 16 pies for 12 people.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 08:57:26 PM »
Of course I remember each of my girls first Christmas's when they really realized something good was happening, but the Christmas we still talk about was my mom's last.  I was 5, my sister 11, my brother 13..my grandparents were in from Buffalo and I remember opening a shoe box that had these 5 miniature Barbie's I had wanted so bad.  My mom got an oil lamp she had been admiring, and my poor sister got her first bra  ;D ;D.  Sadly, she passed away 3 months later of cancer.  This will be our first Christmas without my dad and my sister, older DD and myself have been bringing up stories of Christmas's with him and I now realize how incredibly special they were for DD when she was growing up.   :'(

cwm

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 09:46:45 AM »
Every year we'd do Christmas Eve at dad's parents' house. We'd come home, as a family, and each unwrap one gift from under the tree at home, then go to bed and do the rest later. I got the boxiest, shiniest looking gift I could get, and sis unwrapped hers and got something really cool, and I unwrapped mine to find...

...a set of bed sheets. I very nearly cried at that.

Then there was the year where we finally had snow on Christmas (it was about 50/50 if we'd actually get it any given year). I must have been about 6 or 7, meaning Sis was 4 or 5. Sometime in the night, some squirrels had run across our roof, so when we looked up, we saw reindeer hoof tracks! I asked where the sleigh runner marks were, but dad explained that the sleigh floated, that's how it could actually fly, so we wouldn't see any marks from that. Quick thinking on his part, and it really sold it to me and Sis.

I've probably told this story before, but I don't know if I'll ever really fully get over it. About two or three years ago, I was working on Christmas Eve. Dad's mom had passed, but we still went out to grandpa's house on Christmas Eve, it was tradition. Except it was snowing too hard that year. Mom and dad had a Jeep, a really big one. I had a sports car, for all intents and purposes. Mom called me and told me not to come out to grandpa's when I got off work, the roads were too bad. I went to her mom's house, half a mile from our house where I lived with mom and dad. The roads really were bad, and I barely made it to grandma's without a few accidents, I never would have made it to grandpa's. Then that spring, he had a heart attack and passed. I'm still mad at the situation and the weather, that I didn't get to see him on his last Christmas.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 10:06:25 AM »
I have a raft of stories.

When my 5 years older than me brother was little, he told my parents he was going to go out on the front lawn and look for reindeer tracks Christmas morning.  So at midnight, Christmas Eve, my Dad is out on the front lawn with 2X4's strapped to his feet, using a deer hoof pointer to make tracks.  And then my brother forgot the next morning.  You can bet that Dad dragged him outside to look.  The neighbours must have thought he was nuts!

Years later, my brother pulled me out of the house to look on the flat porch roof.  There were sleigh marks near the edge of the roof, with footprints over to the chimney.  And since it had snowed some, they were all partially filled in.  That was pretty cool.

My brother and I would leave our letters to Santa on the fireplace hearth.  DB was in on the gig but I was still waffling.  But my parents must have decided it was time.  My DB's letter had a 'By the way, Santa, could you please fix my snowmobile?' at the bottom.  The next morning, in my Dad's handwriting, was the response, 'Fix your own dingdangity snowmobile.  What do you think I am, a mechanic?'

And finally, when my nephews were little, they'd made 'reindeer food' at daycare.  It was mostly oatmeal but had some sparkles in it.  When my Dad asked what the sparkles were for, my youngest nephew replied, 'So the reindeer can see it, of course!'  YN and my SIL went out and sprinkled it on the front lawn.  The next morning, there were deer tracks everywhere.  The local deer had come in for a little snack.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 11:38:44 AM »
Mine was Christmas when I was in first grade. My dad had been sent to fight in Viet Nam and we missed him terribly. he surprised us by showing up for Christmas! He was given 3 weeks leave to come home to us and spend the holidays. He didn't have time to buy us gifts, so he picked up a couple of things at one of the airports. Even now at 49 I still have the Mickey Mouse watch he picked up for me (doesn't work anymore, but who cares?) and the little plastic Mickey statue that came with it.

That same Christmas I was talking to Mommy in the kitchen on Christmas eve. She asked me if I thought Santa would bring me everything I wanted. I said yes, especially the Easy Bake Oven!  :o Mom didn't know I wanted one. But that was okay 'cause I told Santa and I was positive he would bring it.

So, as the story goes, Mom and Dad head out on Xmas eve to find what was one of the hottest toys that year (this was 1970. It was a big deal). They go from store to store to store...sold out everywhere. They drive to the next town. No luck. They drive to yet another town. They find one, but it's a display model. The manager says he can't sell it. Mom goes all mama bear on him and insists he sell it to her! I don't know how she convinced him but she did.

Oh, and they had no money to pay for it. So they wound up using their first ever credit card for the very first time to buy if for me (remember Mastercharge?)

I didn't hear these stories until I was an adult. I'm sorry they went to so much trouble, but I really did love that Easy Bake Oven!

ETA: The worst was in Kindergarten, when Santa and his helper showed up at school. Yay! Santa! We queued up to sit on his lap and tell him what we wanted, but they surprised us by...giving us a shot! Yes, someone thought it was a good idea to have Santa vaccinate children.  :(
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 11:42:57 AM by SamiHami »

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

blueyzca01

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 05:20:24 PM »
Last year!

DH and I were at my sisterís place, and my nieces went to their dadís for the afternoon, so DH, Sis, Sisís BF (Kevin) and I played Pictionary all afternoon.

First it was couple again couple, then girls against the boys, and finally DH and Sis against Kevin and me.  It was AWESOME.  I canít remember the last time I had so much fun. We realized later that Kevin was the weakest linkÖHe never won a single game.  But it was a blast.

We had wine and munchies, realized that my sister and hubby kick some major Pictionary butt, and then made the perfect simple Christmas dinner: turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing and gravy  (Yeah, we do Thanksgiving dinner twice a year).  It was so relaxing and fun.  We laughed A LOT.

No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 05:25:52 PM »
Every year we'd do Christmas Eve at dad's parents' house. We'd come home, as a family, and each unwrap one gift from under the tree at home, then go to bed and do the rest later. I got the boxiest, shiniest looking gift I could get, and sis unwrapped hers and got something really cool, and I unwrapped mine to find...

...a set of bed sheets. I very nearly cried at that.

In my family, we each open one gift on Christmas Eve - this was started when I was little as a Keep Kaiti Busy tactic. They always picked the gift I would open, so there were no unpleasant surprises on Xmas eve.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

jmarvellous

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 06:18:11 PM »
When my baby brother was 2 or 3, he got a couple packs of batteries in his stocking. My mom always stuffed our stockings full of useful and fun things, but batteries were definitely befuddling to the little guy. He got this amazing expression of shock and sadness, stared at the batteries, and bellow-squeaked, in the way only a sweet, confused toddler can, "Baaaatteries? Why did I get baaatteries?"

My mom was very coy, telling him that he'd just have to find out, but maybe one of his gifts would use batteries. He wasn't sure that made sense, but eventually he opened something awesome and electronic, batteries not included. *Lightbulb!*

Ever since, if a gift needs batteries, you can be sure you'll get some in your stocking. Bonus points for an equally befuddled query.

Petticoats

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 09:53:36 AM »
This is such a fun thread. It's so nice to get to share these stories.

I have two that spring to mind. One is the Christmas of plum wine. I think I was a teen. Mom, Dad, and my grandmother all liked to eat at Chinese restaurants, and Mom and Dad got to like the plum wine that some of these restaurants served. So Mom approached me to ask if I thought a bottle of plum wine would be a nice Christmas present for Dad. I said yes and went shopping with her to pick out a bottle. I was designated gift wrapper in the family, so I wrapped it and tucked it away. Then Dad approached me and said, "I'm thinking about giving your mom a bottle of plum wine for Christmas." I said, "That's a great idea!" and when we shopped for it I steered him toward the same brand. I wrapped that one also and tucked it away as well. They were surprised and delighted on Christmas day... and then it turned out my grandmother had bought them a bottle too. Same brand. :)

Some years before that, my grandmother gave mom a gift that didn't go over as well: a big ceramic kitchen-utensil holder in the shape of a fat, laughing chef. Mom thanked my GM politely, but Dad and I could tell she was far from thrilled. So when GM had returned to her house to get Christmas dinner under way, and I was helping Mom cook the dishes we were going to bring, Dad came into the kitchen with a grin on his face. "Come out to the back yard." "Why?" "Just come out and see."

He had set the jolly chef up on the platform where he placed the targets for shooting his pellet rifle. Dad had loaded up the rifle, and the three of us took turns--even my sweet, nonviolent mom--destroying the jolly chef.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 09:56:38 AM by Petticoats »

blueyzca01

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 01:20:57 PM »
^^ Nothing says 'The Holidays' like guns and ammo.
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

amylouky

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 01:44:23 PM »
ETA: The worst was in Kindergarten, when Santa and his helper showed up at school. Yay! Santa! We queued up to sit on his lap and tell him what we wanted, but they surprised us by...giving us a shot! Yes, someone thought it was a good idea to have Santa vaccinate children.  :(

Okay, I literally just spit coke out my nose. That is horrible!

cwm

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2013, 03:08:02 PM »
Okay, everyone with a twin will probably have it worse than me, but...

My sister and I are a year and a half apart in age. But I always knew what I would get for my birthday because sis would get it 6 months earlier. And Christmas we always got the exact same things, usually just in different colors. Except dad could never get our color preferences straight, so we'd have to trade with each other anyway. It ruined the magic of the gift circle we did. We'd all amass all of our gifts, then go around in a circle opening one at a time. Sis and I never sat next to each other, but we'd know that the matching boxes would be the same.

It was even worse once he retired from his job and got another part time job, it was at an outdoor store and he'd get nearly everything from there, regardless of what we actually wanted or would enjoy/use. One year we were living in an apartment together and had a very tiny deck. We never used it because it was so tiny and the boards were so rough that we'd need shoes, which we always left at the front door. That year we each got a set of bird feeders. Identical. We couldn't use them due to rules at the apartment, but we wouldn't want to even if we could.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2013, 03:22:10 PM »
I had three brothers, and when we grew up (all three were much older than me), one stayed nearby and the other two lived in other states.  One Christmas, the out of state two both said they couldn't come home for Christmas.  We were all disappointed, of course.  Then it came to pass that plans changed, and they both could come-but all three brothers decided to play a surprise on my parents.  Since it was supposed to be just me, parents, and the youngest brother, we decided to go out to eat on Christmas Eve.   Somehow, behind the scenes, YB collected both older brothers at the airport and kept them out of sight.  Later, with the restaurant in on it, the waiter took our drink orders-and my middle brother served us.  Then, we ordered our entrees, and my oldest brother was the server :).  It actually took my parents several minutes to recognize them  ;D.

Hurricane Marathon

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2013, 03:24:14 PM »
I would have been about 4 so it's a very faint memory.  My godfather was visiting for Christmas that year and we all went to church on Christmas Eve - even my super-athiest dad.  That year my godfather stayed back at the house and met up with us at church later.  I forget the reason he gave.  After church my parents hustled me past the big livingroom picture window and past the livingroom door inside and into bed so Santa Claus could come.  I remember sneaking a peek in the window and seeing stuff under the tree.  The next morning of course Santa had been there and presents, etc.  It wasn't until I was an adult that I clued in that my godfather stayed back to set up all the presents under the tree "from Santa".