87 (24.4%)
Outrageous!  Some holidays should be sacred
210 (58.8%)
Undecided
1 (0.3%)
Other
19 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 357

Author Topic: Retailers Opening on Thanksgiving Day  (Read 16967 times)

Waltzing Matilda

• Sane in Surfers Paradise
Re: Retailers Opening on Thanksgiving Day
« Reply #120 on: November 25, 2013, 06:39:12 AM »
We have some of the same issues here in Australia on Anzac Day (April 25). Once upon a time, nothing was open on Anzac day. Lots of people went to their local march in the morning and the purpose of the day was to commemorate the battle and pay tribute / respect to the fallen. Increasingly, retailers are pushing to open from 1pm. I know retail is struggling, but this constant erosion of special days makes them less, well, special. Even if you don't subscribe to the ethos of Thanksgiving, Anzac Day, Canada Day etc etc etc, it's important to spend time with family and friends. I would absolutely hate to work in retail these days. We don't exist (and shouldn't) to ensure retailers a good income.
There's nothing wrong with me that a little chocolate wouldn't fix.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #121 on: November 25, 2013, 07:11:02 AM »
Because of this thread, I've been poking around on the internet looking for info on Thanksgiving openings.

Turns out that Massachusetts, Maine and Rhode Island all prohibit stores from opening on Thanksgiving. Convenience stores, pharmacies, gas stations, restaurants and movie theaters are allowed to open in Massachusetts. No alcohol sales.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #122 on: November 25, 2013, 07:20:42 AM »
We don't exist (and shouldn't) to ensure retailers a good income.

Um I kind of think humans do. Who else do retailers have to sell to?

Goosey

« Reply #123 on: November 25, 2013, 08:27:07 AM »
Regarding the outrage that the administration (executives, etc) get the holidays off when their hourly employees do not - I would not in a million years begrudge them this. Many executives work 60+ hour work weeks. And when they have "days off", they are often still taking phone calls, etc because they're the decision makers and need to be in contact.

msulinski

« Reply #124 on: November 25, 2013, 08:31:27 AM »
Because of this thread, I've been poking around on the internet looking for info on Thanksgiving openings.

Turns out that Massachusetts, Maine and Rhode Island all prohibit stores from opening on Thanksgiving. Convenience stores, pharmacies, gas stations, restaurants and movie theaters are allowed to open in Massachusetts. No alcohol sales.

This is ridiculous - movie theaters can be open but retail stores cannot?

Goosey

« Reply #125 on: November 25, 2013, 08:35:36 AM »
No alcohol sales???  :o  :P

Seriously though, those restrictions do seem like moral policing to me. It's a free market. There shouldn't be a law prohibiting opening on a holiday. If it's not profitable, it wouldn't be open.

And for goodness sake, let people get their alcohol. Sometimes it's the only way to get through a family meal!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 08:37:29 AM by Goosey »

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #126 on: November 25, 2013, 08:51:17 AM »
I guess I should be grateful the bank I work in will be closed.

Regarding movie theaters being open. I remember a mini-story in Reader's Digest where the letter-writer had no place to go on Thanksgiving and decided to hit the multiplex at the mall. After two movies, letter-writer noticed the same small group of people who had also sat through the same two movies were now waiting to buy tickets again. Obviously they all also had no place to go. Letter-writer suggested they go to one of the mall restaurants and share Thanksgiving dinner. Everyone enjoyed themselves and the waitress told them how nice it was to see such a happy family on the holidays. ;D
Luckily my sister the Black Friday fiend will not be dashing out to shop at 8pm Thursday night. She'll be watching the Raven's game.

Well, since they are going to lose to my Steelers, maybe she should go shopping!   ;D ;D ;D

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #127 on: November 25, 2013, 08:56:47 AM »

Seriously though, those restrictions do seem like moral policing to me. It's a free market. There shouldn't be a law prohibiting opening on a holiday. If it's not profitable, it wouldn't be open.

And for goodness sake, let people get their alcohol. Sometimes it's the only way to get through a family meal!

Ya gotta remember who founded Massachusetts and many of the other New England states. The Puritan influence hasn't quite disappeared yet.

Massachusetts didn't allow stores to open on Sunday until 1994. Alcohol sales on Sunday didn't happen until 2004 (except for stores near the New Hampshire border, which were allowed Sunday sales early in the 1990s).

When stores are always closed on Sunday, you either get good at planning ahead, or you go without. Used to be this way all across the country at one time. And there are still counties in many states that are "dry" with no alcohol stores whatsoever.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Goosey

« Reply #128 on: November 25, 2013, 08:57:26 AM »
Oh I know. I live in the bible belt. Doesn't change my feelings on the matter

knitwicca

« Reply #129 on: November 25, 2013, 09:25:59 AM »
I worked for Wal-Mart when I was in my 20s.  At that time, most employees were hired as full-time with benefits.
That changed with the death of Mr. Sam (Walton).  Today most employees are part-time so they receive no benefits, no over-time pay nor holiday bonus pay. 

I refuse to go to any store of any sort on Black Friday. There is nothing I need desperately enough to stand in line for hours, fight through the crowd to exit a store nor run the risk of assault (inadvertently or not). 

To those who work in professions which are necessary, medical professionals and medical support, law enforcement, fire fighters, military, I offer my heart-felt gratitude.

Niamh84

« Reply #130 on: November 25, 2013, 09:29:56 AM »
We don't have Thanksgiving in Ireland but retailers are under increasing pressure to open throughout Christmas time and I don't agree with it but that's because my dad works in retail and it's hard watching him work himself ragged every day for two months.  It used to be that shops weren't open on a Sunday but they all are now.  They would also be closed on Christmas day and St. Stephen's day but they all open on St. Stephen's Day now so my dad works every single day from 25 November to 24 December inclusive and then 26 December to around late January without a single day off.  I just feel really sorry for him and dread the day that shops start to open on Christmas Day as I have no doubt it'll happen at some stage, here's hoping he's retired by then.

In Ireland we have one day a year that alcohol sales are prohibited. It's Good Friday (the Friday of Easter Weekend) and it backfires ridiculously.  Most of us have the Friday and Monday off work so everybody stockpiles drink on Thursday night.  You always buy more than you need "just in case, since you won't be able to buy any tomorrow" and pubs can't open so everyone has parties at home.  It is literally one of the biggest drinking days of the year. 

lkb

« Reply #131 on: November 25, 2013, 09:38:30 AM »
I’ve never, ever done Black Friday and I don’t intend to. Nor do I ever intend to shop on Thanksgiving Day (unless it’s to pick up a prescription for a seriously ill family member). My sister, on the other hand, who is a widow and a mom of a teen daughter and doesn’t really have anything to do on Thanksgiving or the day after, go all out: planning the route etc.
At first I was outraged by Black Friday creeping into the holiday, but I’m understanding more about people who do it: Thanksgiving or Christmas are not their holidays. Sad, imho, but there it is.
I was highly amused by an article I read recently (sorry, don’t remember where), that noted that Black Friday sales were actually starting November 1 in many places. The prediction was that pretty soon Black Friday won’t matter because the shopping season will start three weeks earlier than it does now and we’ll get our Thanksgiving back. ;D ;D ;D

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #132 on: November 25, 2013, 09:39:57 AM »
Wow.

I remember the days when nothing was open on Sundays and if you ran out of milk to make pancakes with, too bad unless you were willing to go to a deli and pay twice as much.

Liquor stores in NYC are open on Sundays now but that's fairly new and happened more or less unannounced.  The ones in my area are open the same hours on Sunday as other days of the week.  A friend on the Upper West Side says the ones by her are closed; I suspect they didn't do much business on Sundays.

I realize that some people want to work on Thanksgiving if there is extra pay involved or if they are miles away from family.  However, I agree with Ehelldame and others who protest that working on that day (or Christmas Day) should not be a condition of continued employment.  It is insanely unfair to force employees to cancel travel plans or absent themselves from a gathering of family or friends.

And nobody needs more frenzy than we already have.

Lorie_P

• Lorie_P
« Reply #133 on: November 25, 2013, 09:58:52 AM »
It is just so sad that retailers are more interested in sales than their employees. I found a list of stores who won't open on Thanksgiving and will spend my money there. If everyone did that, the retailers will notice.

If you notice most of the stores who are open on Thanksgiving are hurting sales wise for the year. It reminds me of a last ditch effort of a dying man. I have a feeling that they will realise that the cost of doing business on Thanksgiving won't be worth the tiny profits they earn. Most of the stuff sold will be low profit to negative profit margin items during the "sales."

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #134 on: November 25, 2013, 10:05:40 AM »
Most of the employees were women

I don't understand why it matters they were mostly women. Is it less important for men to be with their families? Are no men cooking, caring for children, wanting to be with family? If a mostly male dominated work place is open on Thanksgiving, does it all of a sudden become ok?