87 (24.4%)
Outrageous!  Some holidays should be sacred
210 (58.8%)
Undecided
1 (0.3%)
Other
19 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 357

Author Topic: Retailers Opening on Thanksgiving Day  (Read 18032 times)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Re: Retailers Opening on Thanksgiving Day
« Reply #135 on: November 25, 2013, 10:21:08 AM »
I suspect that many of these women are heads of households and the main breadwinners for their children.  Losing the job if they refuse to work that day rather than make a turkey dinner for the children is an ugly threat.

As has been pointed out, big discounts lead to smaller and smaller profits and may make it cost-inefficient to have department stores open on Thanksgiving Day.   As it is department store employees endure irregular weeks and hours and mandatory overtime this time of year, which means less time for family, friends, or even themselves.  My friend Blanche would get sick at least once and get so stressed out from working at this time of year and making Thanksgiving Day mandatory certainly wouldn't make this any better.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #136 on: November 25, 2013, 10:33:53 AM »
Turns out that Massachusetts, Maine and Rhode Island all prohibit stores from opening on Thanksgiving. Convenience stores, pharmacies, gas stations, restaurants and movie theaters are allowed to open in Massachusetts. No alcohol sales.

Well that just seems mean. I don't care about not going to Target, but no booze? Come on! I've gotta deal with family!!  ;)

I did just find out that Big Lots will be open form 7am-11pm on Thanksgiving day. That just made me go  :o they aren't opened like that on regular days. And they aren't doing that good of sales. And they're already a discount store.

I know the dollar store near me will be opened but just in the morning (they close at noon or 1...I think). I asked one of the employees about she told me it was because every year they get a decent number of people who need some last minute item or other. She also told me they have a very nice manager who gets them breakfast for having to work the holiday and gets them out of there right on time, so she doesn't mind. Apparently they also get Black Friday of if they work Thanksgiving. You ask the right employee the right question and they'll give you all kinds of info.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #137 on: November 25, 2013, 10:36:16 AM »
I suspect that many of these women are heads of households and the main breadwinners for their children.  Losing the job if they refuse to work that day rather than make a turkey dinner for the children is an ugly threat.

But it'd be less ugly for men?

I guess I just don't get why it matters if the employees are men, women, or space aliens. If you're against stores being open on thanksgiving, you're against stores being open on thanksgiving. If you're against women not being at home with their children on holidays, that's a whole other bird (pun totally intended).

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #138 on: November 25, 2013, 10:45:21 AM »
Iíve never, ever done Black Friday and I donít intend to. Nor do I ever intend to shop on Thanksgiving Day (unless itís to pick up a prescription for a seriously ill family member). My sister, on the other hand, who is a widow and a mom of a teen daughter and doesnít really have anything to do on Thanksgiving or the day after, go all out: planning the route etc.
At first I was outraged by Black Friday creeping into the holiday, but Iím understanding more about people who do it: Thanksgiving or Christmas are not their holidays. Sad, imho, but there it is.

Why is it sad? Because they don't celebrate their holidays the way you celebrate yours? I'm looking forward to my black friday shopping (I barley want to put on pants on Thanksgiving day, so I'll pretty much hit up a movie and be done), and I don't even want electronics or big stuff. I just like going out.

I have friends who in live in the states but are originally from somewhere else, so they couldn't care less about Thanksgiving. It's not sad, it's just not their culture. And plenty of non-christian people don't do Christmas. I fail to see what's sad about that.

Everyone's family make-up and traditions are different. Doesn't make it sad, just different.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #139 on: November 25, 2013, 10:54:49 AM »
Iíve never, ever done Black Friday and I donít intend to. Nor do I ever intend to shop on Thanksgiving Day (unless itís to pick up a prescription for a seriously ill family member). My sister, on the other hand, who is a widow and a mom of a teen daughter and doesnít really have anything to do on Thanksgiving or the day after, go all out: planning the route etc.
At first I was outraged by Black Friday creeping into the holiday, but Iím understanding more about people who do it: Thanksgiving or Christmas are not their holidays. Sad, imho, but there it is.

Why is it sad? Because they don't celebrate their holidays the way you celebrate yours? I'm looking forward to my black friday shopping (I barley want to put on pants on Thanksgiving day, so I'll pretty much hit up a movie and be done), and I don't even want electronics or big stuff. I just like going out.

I have friends who in live in the states but are originally from somewhere else, so they couldn't care less about Thanksgiving. It's not sad, it's just not their culture. And plenty of non-christian people don't do Christmas. I fail to see what's sad about that.

Everyone's family make-up and traditions are different. Doesn't make it sad, just different.

This.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #140 on: November 25, 2013, 10:58:40 AM »
Glitter, I fail to see how anyone whose work is not emergency, safety, or infrastructure-related should be required to work on Thanksgiving Day or face termination.  This is just plain wrong.

As to my comment about women, it relates to how many of these women could be divorced or single mothers whose income makes or breaks their finances.  I do not see that this requires further explanation.

Syfygeek

« Reply #141 on: November 25, 2013, 11:46:25 AM »
I worked in retail, both as an hourly person and as management, and when I left retail, I promised myself I would never ever shop Black Friday.

One thing retailers need to realize is that day cares aren't open on holidays, and private babysitters might not want to keep your child on Thanksgiving & Christmas. If there's no family around, you're stuck paying someone big bucks, if you can even find anyone.
That's my purse! I don't know you!

padua

« Reply #142 on: November 25, 2013, 12:33:29 PM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ann-brenoff/stores-open-on-thanksgiving_b_4149893.html

While agree that many people do not mind working holidays, the author does not address retailers who make working the holiday a term of their employment which is the case for most retail employees. The author even ends by saying that once she became a mother she quit volunteering for the holiday shift. She's obviously not had family members who've missed a holiday been forced to leave the Thanksgiving table early because they had to get to work.

I think this is a grey area, though. If you take a job knowing that part of the terms of your employment is you have to work holidays, then you don't get to complain about it later when you decide you'd rather have the day off.

If, on the other hand, it's sprung on you as a change in the terms, like what happened to Ehelldame's daughter, I agree that that's unfair.  Especially at such late notice when travel plans had already been made.

Many companies are modifying the holiday open schedule every year. So 6 years ago you might have started working at a store believing you'd have Thanksgiving off. Three years ago, they decide to start opening at midnight. This year it's at 6pm. But now your fully vested in your 401k and getting 3 weeks vacation and a pretty decent hourly wage. Deciding to leave because of this one change could be a very difficult choice for many.

i also feel that's somewhat difficult in today's economy. My husband is looking for work now and would be happy to just get a job. doesn't mean he shouldn't be upset or disappointed he doesn't get to spend time with us on the holidays just because his works demands him to be working that day.

and as someone else mentioned, i think it is an extra hardship for single parent households or even for duel parent households where both partners are working- childcares aren't open or charge excessive fees for services on holidays. for most of us, that would make working on those days a bit... useless, as it would cost as much for someone to watch our children (if not more) as we would be earning.

Biker Granny

« Reply #143 on: November 25, 2013, 12:34:02 PM »
I usually do shop on Black Friday...not this year mainly because I just don't see anything out there that interests me.

I do not and will not shop on Thanksgiving Day.
I feel that every non essential place of business should be closed.
I know of a store call B&H photo that will be open Thanksgiving Day.  Really?  You need that framed or processed THAT day?
Anyone entering into a career that involves 24/7 hours knows going in that working the holidays is part of the deal.  Been there done that...didn't complain because it was part of the territory.

I've had a year to plan my Holiday.  If I forget one thing it's my bad.

Why should others have to work? (And I will also include the players and support staff in the non-essential personel. While I do enjoy watching the games, I won't go crazy if they aren't on TV.)

If I can't entertain myself for one single day (or two if you include Christmas)...then there is something seriously wrong with me.

padua

« Reply #144 on: November 25, 2013, 12:40:49 PM »
Well, then, what about Easter? Or Hannukah? Or Presidents' Day? Or any other holiday that's used as a gimmick to get people to come to the business? It's not as if every holiday is celebrated by each and every person in the country, and maybe people who don't do Christmas want to see a new movie on Christmas Day. We can't keep people from working on any holiday, or even just the big ones, just because they might want to spend that whole holiday with family.

I work in a theater, so I know how frustrating it is to work on holidays when you'd much rather be with family. That said, we can't enshrine every holiday, else we'd never get anything done. A business is there to make money, not to be inherently charitable to its workers. We do our jobs, and try to make sure that everyone gets at least some time with family that day. That's just how it works.

i don't think anyone feels it imperative that every holiday have its due. i've never seen any protests for stores and theatres to be closed on valentines' day. and that's probably the most gimicky holiday out there. it would be nice, however, to have a couple holidays a year enshrined to ensure people get to spend time with their families (while getting holiday pay). or at the least, get paid extra to work that day without feeling forced into doing so.

melicious

« Reply #145 on: November 25, 2013, 01:02:07 PM »
Well if the argument for retailers staying open on Thanksgiving is that not everyone celebrates it, then why doesn't that apply to all industries , i.e. office workers? I'm sure not everyone in every industry celebrates either, so why should retail workers - the lowest paid industry - be singled out?

(I say this as a non-retail worker - though I was in that industry for 10 years - and a non-American)

Amara

« Reply #146 on: November 25, 2013, 01:13:25 PM »
It doesn't matter what anyone chooses to do or not do on Thanksgiving/Christmas. It matters not if they want to be with family or spend the day by themselves watching television and eating bonbons. What does matter is that these two days have traditionally been time off ones for the retail industry. What also matters is that people, excluding those in essential services, have a choice, especially low-paid retail workers who really work almost the entire year.

I am in higher education and we got fifteen holidays a year as well as sick time and vacation time. This year we added one more paid holiday and two provisional ones (for which we can choose to go unpaid, use comp time or vacation days). Delivery services like UPS and FedEx get only six per year. But, again leaving aside essential services, retail workers only got two--and now they are not even getting that.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 01:15:16 PM by Amara »

Susiqzer

« Reply #147 on: November 25, 2013, 03:08:06 PM »
No alcohol sales???  :o  :P

Seriously though, those restrictions do seem like moral policing to me. It's a free market. There shouldn't be a law prohibiting opening on a holiday. If it's not profitable, it wouldn't be open.

And for goodness sake, let people get their alcohol. Sometimes it's the only way to get through a family meal!

Baby steps. We've only been allowed to buy alcohol on Sundays for a couple of years around here!

Massachusetts is one giant ball of contradiction, and we love it that way.

dirtyweasel

• Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...
« Reply #148 on: November 25, 2013, 04:12:04 PM »
I completely agree with eHell Dame.  My mom used to work in retail and it used to be that she would have Thanksgiving weekend off.  Then it turned into working the weekend, but having Thursday and Friday off.  Then it turned into having thanksgiving off, but working Wednesday and Friday.  Then one year she was told she was working Thanksgiving...with no extra pay...and if you didn't show up for your shift you would be written up and most likely terminated.  She did that for two years before the store closed. 

I think it's fine that some people don't celebrate Thanksgiving, but I don't think it's okay to force people who do celebrate this holiday to work if they don't want to.  I get that some people don't want to celebrate Thanksgiving, but that shouldn't be the deciding force for the vast majority of retail workers in the United States who I'm willing to bet would probably prefer to have Thanksgiving off.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #149 on: November 25, 2013, 05:09:20 PM »
Another consideration:

When I was a child department stores weren't even open on Sundays.  They also closed earlier than they do now and Christmas merchandise didn't appear until November.  This is no longer the case.

Now most stores are displaying Christmas merchandise even before Halloween.  They're open full days on Saturdays and Sundays.  There is no good reason for them to be open on Thanksgiving Day.

Also, is anyone else old enough to remember Christmas Club bank accounts?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_club

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/personal-finance/christmas-club-accounts-1.aspx

If most of the checks were issued on or near December 1st, the shopping season could be said to begin there.  However, most people today are using credit or ATM cards for such shopping.

The economy isn't going to be turned around by adding yet one more shopping day to the calendar.