87 (24.4%)
Outrageous!  Some holidays should be sacred
210 (58.8%)
Undecided
1 (0.3%)
Other
19 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 357

Author Topic: Retailers Opening on Thanksgiving Day  (Read 19078 times)

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
Re: Retailers Opening on Thanksgiving Day
« Reply #165 on: November 25, 2013, 09:41:09 PM »
And if it were two days that came six months prior to the gift giving season then retailers wouldn't be seeing the profits they do. It might be "just" two days but the timing is pretty crucial.

It would be nice if life guards working the beach on Independence Day got the day off to observe the patriotic holiday.  Unfortunately,  timing places it on the 4th of July. If it came on January 4th a lot more lifeguards would get the holiday off. If Thanksgiving was several months away from Christmas retail probably wouldn't open.  It isn't the number of days,  it is their proximity to the biggest gift giving holiday.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #166 on: November 25, 2013, 10:38:34 PM »
On that note, try having time off during tax time if you work in an accounting office.

Jelaza

• Meow
« Reply #167 on: November 25, 2013, 10:45:33 PM »
It is just so sad that retailers are more interested in sales than their employees. I found a list of stores who won't open on Thanksgiving and will spend my money there. If everyone did that, the retailers will notice.

Any chance of getting a copy of that list?  Is it online somewhere?

I voted "Outrageous" but my thought is more that the holidays should be "respected" as opposed to "sacred".  The elimination of one of the very few guaranteed days off that retail workers had shows just how little respect they get from their employers these days.  Even for those who don't celebrate Thanksgiving, the chance to get a day of R&R before being subjected to the extremely stressful and busy Black Friday is a lifesaver (yes, I used to work retail, back when we got Thanksgiving off, and opened on time or only a couple of hours early on Black Friday).

This year, my sister's SO works from Thursday evening opening (I think it's 8 PM) til 5 AM Friday, then again at 5 PM Friday.  And they expect him to be able to perform well?  It's ridiculous.

dirtyweasel

• Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...
« Reply #168 on: November 25, 2013, 11:08:45 PM »
And if it were two days that came six months prior to the gift giving season then retailers wouldn't be seeing the profits they do. It might be "just" two days but the timing is pretty crucial.

It would be nice if life guards working the beach on Independence Day got the day off to observe the patriotic holiday.  Unfortunately,  timing places it on the 4th of July. If it came on January 4th a lot more lifeguards would get the holiday off. If Thanksgiving was several months away from Christmas retail probably wouldn't open.  It isn't the number of days,  it is their proximity to the biggest gift giving holiday.

From what I found on Google most lifeguards are seasonal so chances are most lifeguards get Christmas and Thanksgiving off so they get a few holidays off at least.  Even if they don't I would think that lifeguard jobs tend to fall within essential jobs like hospital workers and paramedics to name a few. 

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #169 on: November 25, 2013, 11:22:13 PM »
Another consideration:

When I was a child department stores weren't even open on Sundays.  They also closed earlier than they do now and Christmas merchandise didn't appear until November.  This is no longer the case.

Now most stores are displaying Christmas merchandise even before Halloween.  They're open full days on Saturdays and Sundays.  There is no good reason for them to be open on Thanksgiving Day.

Also, is anyone else old enough to remember Christmas Club bank accounts?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_club

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/personal-finance/christmas-club-accounts-1.aspx

If most of the checks were issued on or near December 1st, the shopping season could be said to begin there.  However, most people today are using credit or ATM cards for such shopping.

The economy isn't going to be turned around by adding yet one more shopping day to the calendar.

With your last sentence - if the stores serve mainly the local crowd - I agree, revenues will not likely be increased.  As a matter of fact, when Sunday shopping was first proposed in my neck-of-the-woods, even the major department stores were against it.  "Local" people would not likely purchase more simply because the store was open on one more day, and the store would of course have increased overhead.  But, the barn-door was opened when regulations were relaxed in established tourist-areas, allowing them to open on Sundays - and, when suburbanites had become accustomed to going to Downtown to shop on Sundays - the barn-door had to stay open, and the suburban malls followed suit.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #170 on: November 25, 2013, 11:23:59 PM »
A few years ago, I lived in a large, metro area in which pharmacies and grocery stores took turns. They did it themselves, coming together to make sure that they took care of their customers and employees.

Joeschmo

« Reply #171 on: November 25, 2013, 11:41:34 PM »
I worked for Wal-Mart when I was in my 20s.  At that time, most employees were hired as full-time with benefits.
That changed with the death of Mr. Sam (Walton).  Today most employees are part-time so they receive no benefits, no over-time pay nor holiday bonus pay. 

I refuse to go to any store of any sort on Black Friday. There is nothing I need desperately enough to stand in line for hours, fight through the crowd to exit a store nor run the risk of assault (inadvertently or not). 

To those who work in professions which are necessary, medical professionals and medical support, law enforcement, fire fighters, military, I offer my heart-felt gratitude.

I have been thinking about Walmart's evolving treatment of employees and how other retail has followed throughout this thread.  I remember when I worked there some of the loooong time employees were never scheduled on weekends because after 12pm Saturday and anytime on Sunday they were paid time and a half.  At my location new employees got a $1/hr shift differential at these times plus after 5pm during the week.  I think the trend has gone too far but if you haven't put your foot down on patronizing extended hours/open on Sundays/24hr stores you have had a hand in the decline to open on Thanksgiving.

lkb

« Reply #172 on: November 26, 2013, 03:09:53 AM »
I apologize for my previously clumsily worded post upthread. I did not mean to sound culturally/religiously superior but I can see where it sounded that way.
What I intended was quite the opposite: I actually meant I felt sad that society pretty much shuts down by the dominant culture, leaving those who don't celebrate those holidays with not a whole lot to do.  Also, the image conveyed by the dominant culture with Black Friday madness does not exactly make that culture look good.

Again I apologize, I did not mean to offend.

On another note, one thing I hate about all the Black Friday hoo-ha is the greed. I think that the whole idea of Black Friday and the holiday shopping season was to buy gifts for other people. With all the madness that goes on, I somehow cannot believe that all those people are out there to buy the plasma flat-screen as a gift for someone else.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #173 on: November 26, 2013, 03:34:09 AM »
I apologize for my previously clumsily worded post upthread. I did not mean to sound culturally/religiously superior but I can see where it sounded that way.
What I intended was quite the opposite: I actually meant I felt sad that society pretty much shuts down by the dominant culture, leaving those who don't celebrate those holidays with not a whole lot to do.  Also, the image conveyed by the dominant culture with Black Friday madness does not exactly make that culture look good.

Again I apologize, I did not mean to offend.

On another note, one thing I hate about all the Black Friday hoo-ha is the greed. I think that the whole idea of Black Friday and the holiday shopping season was to buy gifts for other people. With all the madness that goes on, I somehow cannot believe that all those people are out there to buy the plasma flat-screen as a gift for someone else.
My mom owned a womens clothing store, I worked retail in HS and college, and my sister had a career in retail for 20 years ending it as a store manager for a large department store. I don't dislike the retail industry. I actually enjoyed working retail during the holidays for the most part.

I have no issue with stores being open on the Friday after Thanksgiving. It's been a traditional shopping day for decades. I also have no issue with people taking advantage of the flat screen tv sales as their family Christmas present. I don't see it as greedy on the part of retailers or materialistic for consumers. It was just a good day that a vast majority had off work and no school so a food time to shop.

I think retail employees know their Black Friday work day is going to be long and tiring. But they also know they'll have a day off during the week to do their own shopping during less hectic times.

But I just don't think it's necessary to have retail stores open on Thanksgiving Day. It used to be the one National Holiday that most people in non-critical or hospitality industry had off. A good time for family and friends to plan to get together. Expanding to having more businesses open on this one holiday in my opinion doesn't improve overall quality of life. I'm sorry of you are someone who doesn't have the desire or the ability to celebrate Thanksgiving. But there are other things that can be done that day that doesn't involve shopping.

Btw... We were discussing this at dinner tonight . DS informed me there is actually a Black Friday death count website. We looked and one tragically seems to be directly connected to crazy shoppers and a handful of injuries nationwide. We all expected these numbers to be higher because of all the media hype.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #174 on: November 26, 2013, 05:28:31 AM »
dirtyweasel, a lot of retail places have hired seasonal employees as well.

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #175 on: November 26, 2013, 09:22:51 AM »

But I just don't think it's necessary to have retail stores open on Thanksgiving Day. It used to be the one National Holiday that most people in non-critical or hospitality industry had off. A good time for family and friends to plan to get together. Expanding to having more businesses open on this one holiday in my opinion doesn't improve overall quality of life. I'm sorry of you are someone who doesn't have the desire or the ability to celebrate Thanksgiving. But there are other things that can be done that day that doesn't involve shopping.

I view Thanksgiving as nationally and culturally equivalent to Chinese New Year.   Everyone travels home to be with family and eat holiday specific foods.   Thanksgiving is not racially, ethnically, religiously exclusive.   All people can gather and thank the deity of their choice for the blessings of life.   And even atheists benefit by expressing thankfulness to others.   Having a day, nationally, where we all choose to gather with family or friends, to share in a common meal, to reflect on the past year, and to express gratitude I see as a positive thing for the soul of the country.   

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #176 on: November 26, 2013, 10:29:19 AM »

I view Thanksgiving as nationally and culturally equivalent to Chinese New Year.   Everyone travels home to be with family and eat holiday specific foods.   Thanksgiving is not racially, ethnically, religiously exclusive.   All people can gather and thank the deity of their choice for the blessings of life.   And even atheists benefit by expressing thankfulness to others.   Having a day, nationally, where we all choose to gather with family or friends, to share in a common meal, to reflect on the past year, and to express gratitude I see as a positive thing for the soul of the country.

I agree with this. Thanksgiving is a national holiday. Granted, there are some religions that don't celebrate holidays. And individuals may choose not to celebrate Thanksgiving. But that doesn't make the day not-a-holiday for the majority of US citizens.

Celebrate it however you wish--joining up with family, avoiding toxic family, cocooning in bed for the day with a book, hiking, biking, binging on ice cream.

It's a holiday. It's a day off. Enough people *have * to work that day. Why make so many more work, and in the process, disrupt the celebration for their families?
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #177 on: November 26, 2013, 11:21:36 AM »
I find it interesting that I'm seeing articles that list Sam's Club as being closed on Thanksgiving Day, while Wal-Mart, its parent company, will be open.  I wonder if it's a demographics thing that's causing Sam's Club to remain closed?

MrTango

« Reply #178 on: November 26, 2013, 11:35:40 AM »
I refuse to shop on Thanksgiving (and this year, since everyone's coming to our house, there's no reason for me to even go outside).

I figure that people who actually go shopping on Thanksgiving are an even bigger part of the problem than the store-owners who decide to force their employees to work.

lmyrs

« Reply #179 on: November 26, 2013, 06:15:33 PM »
I honestly cannot make the distinction in my head as to why it's so horrendous for WalMart or Target or Macys to be open but the Applebees and the Olive Garden and Cineplex Theatre are good to go. It does not make sense to me why someone who would be outraged on behalf of the poor Target cashier isn't giving a second thought to the theatre usher and waiter.

I worked retail in the 90s. We were closed Xmas Day. That was it. (Though we did close at 4pm on Xmas Eve.) You HAD to work either Dec 24 or Dec 26. You couldn't have both off. Other holidays were paid holiday pay when you worked.

And as for the corporate management not working on holidays? Well, I don't work in retail. I do work in the head office for a company that has a 24 hour support line, a sales call centre and retail outlets. There are many employees that are either working or on call for every major holiday. I am not one of them. But, when Operator Sally goes home at the end of her shift on Easter Sunday, she is off the clock. I can leave the country on vacation and I still have to answer calls and emails. And if I get a call or email on Xmas Day or Thanksgiving, I have to answer that too.