87 (24.4%)
Outrageous!  Some holidays should be sacred
210 (58.8%)
Undecided
1 (0.3%)
Other
19 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 357

Author Topic: Retailers Opening on Thanksgiving Day  (Read 18592 times)

magicdomino

Re: Retailers Opening on Thanksgiving Day
« Reply #180 on: November 26, 2013, 06:27:48 PM »
I started to reply that Applebees and Olive Garden aren't open, at least in the evening, then remembered that it was back in 1995 that I spent Thanksgiving evening looking for an open fast food place.  My mother and I were going to go out for dinner, but she wasn't feeling well.  By the time she decided that she didn't want to go out at all and I went out to pick something up, it was after 6:00 pm.  I didn't check Chinese or pizza places because Mother didn't want those, but every other place was closed.

Joeschmo

« Reply #181 on: November 26, 2013, 06:34:48 PM »

But I just don't think it's necessary to have retail stores open on Thanksgiving Day. It used to be the one National Holiday that most people in non-critical or hospitality industry had off. A good time for family and friends to plan to get together. Expanding to having more businesses open on this one holiday in my opinion doesn't improve overall quality of life. I'm sorry of you are someone who doesn't have the desire or the ability to celebrate Thanksgiving. But there are other things that can be done that day that doesn't involve shopping.

I view Thanksgiving as nationally and culturally equivalent to Chinese New Year.   Everyone travels home to be with family and eat holiday specific foods.   Thanksgiving is not racially, ethnically, religiously exclusive.   All people can gather and thank the deity of their choice for the blessings of life.   And even atheists benefit by expressing thankfulness to others.   Having a day, nationally, where we all choose to gather with family or friends, to share in a common meal, to reflect on the past year, and to express gratitude I see as a positive thing for the soul of the country.

It would be awesome if your view was the experience for all.  I know you've said you don't post often here because the effect it has on the thread but if you read many of them this time of year you'll see we don't all get to experience of your view.  Working these holidays was sometimes the best part for me.  I do agree shops should be staffed with volunteers and flexibility allowed on shifts if others are needed but a negative for some is not a negative for all.

perpetua

« Reply #182 on: November 26, 2013, 06:46:32 PM »

But I just don't think it's necessary to have retail stores open on Thanksgiving Day. It used to be the one National Holiday that most people in non-critical or hospitality industry had off. A good time for family and friends to plan to get together. Expanding to having more businesses open on this one holiday in my opinion doesn't improve overall quality of life. I'm sorry of you are someone who doesn't have the desire or the ability to celebrate Thanksgiving. But there are other things that can be done that day that doesn't involve shopping.

I view Thanksgiving as nationally and culturally equivalent to Chinese New Year.   Everyone travels home to be with family and eat holiday specific foods.   Thanksgiving is not racially, ethnically, religiously exclusive.   All people can gather and thank the deity of their choice for the blessings of life.   And even atheists benefit by expressing thankfulness to others.   Having a day, nationally, where we all choose to gather with family or friends, to share in a common meal, to reflect on the past year, and to express gratitude I see as a positive thing for the soul of the country.

It would be awesome if your view was the experience for all.  I know you've said you don't post often here because the effect it has on the thread but if you read many of them this time of year you'll see we don't all get to experience of your view.  Working these holidays was sometimes the best part for me.  I do agree shops should be staffed with volunteers and flexibility allowed on shifts if others are needed but a negative for some is not a negative for all.

I tend to agree with you. That sounds like a lovely picture postcard and it would be very nice if everyone had that experience, but it's a very romanticised and rather narrow view of how other people may be spending the holiday. There must be literally millions of people in a country the size of the US who don't *have* family or friends to travel back home to see or enough money to share that meal - probably those who need the extra shifts just to keep their head above water.

That of course doesn't mean that those who do should be deprived of a day off under threat of being fired just to give other people something to do, but thinking that everyone spends - or *should* spend - the holidays the way you do is naive. Life is different for everyone.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #183 on: November 26, 2013, 06:55:09 PM »
So here's my thought about the "work or get fired" threat. In general, if you are scheduled for a shift and refuse to show up (and you aren't sick, there are no emergencies, you simply want that day off) well, then you risk being fired. You supposed to show up to work when you are scheduled to work. That's part of work. If we all just came in when we wanted to a lot of stuff would never get done.

However, if you request a day off, your employer should give it to you so long as you give advanced notice and there is adequate coverage on that day. I can't imagine they need every person on staff working on one day. No matter the day. In fact in recent years when I've gone to Target on Black Friday, there have been way too many staff workers for the amount of people. We got "late" as in at 3 or 4 because we don't care about electronics or toys.

On the other hand, my friend who works in retail has worked places open on Thanksgiving (he isn't this year) and says that it's much nicer to have people who volunteer to work over people forced to work. As they tend to work harder and be in better spirits. Which makes sense to me.

So yes, ideally, they'll take volunteers first for the holiday. But if they can't get enough people to volunteer, and you don't request the day off, well you might have to work on a day you don't want to work. That's part of working.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #184 on: November 26, 2013, 07:14:32 PM »
Well in all honesty, I could see  the point of restaurants being open because there may be some families out there that either don't like to/can't cook or simply don't have the means to cook a full holiday meal.  And then there's always the chance the turkey would turn out Griswold style. :P  Some don't have families to be with and again, can't cook or don't have the means or desire to cook a huge meal for just themselves.

But theaters? Not really necessary.  I've never been to a movie on either Thanksgiving or Christmas.  The day after, sure, but never the day of.

I think the main reason behind the objection to stores opening is that it's fairly well known that retail workers already have to deal with a lot on Black Friday in addition to the rest of the year.  My bff who works in retail posted on fbook the other day saying something to the effect of "If you are going to shop on Thanksgiving and Black Friday, please at least be courteous to the employees in the stores and remember there's not much they can do if they're out of something you wanted."
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Jelaza

• Meow
« Reply #185 on: November 26, 2013, 07:30:31 PM »
I honestly cannot make the distinction in my head as to why it's so horrendous for WalMart or Target or Macys to be open but the Applebees and the Olive Garden and Cineplex Theatre are good to go. It does not make sense to me why someone who would be outraged on behalf of the poor Target cashier isn't giving a second thought to the theatre usher and waiter.

I'm not really thrilled with that either.

Convenience stores are fine to be open, that's really what they were intended for, to be open when other stores aren't (hence "convenience").  If you need emergency eggs or bread or cinnamon, you can get it there.  If you need lunch or dinner because you can't cook or dropped the turkey on the floor, lots of them carry premade sandwiches and salads which are fairly tasty, and some even have premade hot entrees.  Yes, you have to pay more than at a normal retailer, but you are paying for the "convenience" part of it.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 07:33:12 PM by Jelaza »

MissRose

« Reply #186 on: November 26, 2013, 09:43:50 PM »
I work for an internet provider on a help line.  We do have reduced staff for customer calls but most of the time its pretty quiet on holidays.  We get paid extra, and people can volunteer for a certain shift.  I work some holidays, others I take off.

I refuse to go shopping from the day before Thanksgiving until the weekend of Black Friday is completed.  The traffic is too bad, parking is bad, lines are line, many people in the stores can be rude to the staff and/or fellow shoppers to name a few things.  Good thing for online shopping done in the comfort of home wearing my pajamas and my hair tied back in a pony tail!

perpetua

« Reply #187 on: November 27, 2013, 02:25:36 AM »
Are places open for Thanksgiving Dinner? Has anyone ever thought 'Let's book at (wherever) for dinner this year instead of cooking' ?

In the UK we have lots of carvery type places and many of those are open for Christmas day (you have to book in advance and it's a great deal more expensive than usual). The marketing schtick is 'have your family's big Xmas dinner without the stress of all the cooking and washing up'. Meanwhile, waiters/waitresses/kitchen staff/bar staff are slaving away on the one big holiday of the year so that people who don't want the stress of making Xmas dinner can have a nice day.

I'm not sure I'm seeing the difference between something like that and the shops being open so if you'd do one and not the other, I'd be interested to know why.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #188 on: November 27, 2013, 07:54:18 AM »
Are places open for Thanksgiving Dinner? Has anyone ever thought 'Let's book at (wherever) for dinner this year instead of cooking' ?

In the UK we have lots of carvery type places and many of those are open for Christmas day (you have to book in advance and it's a great deal more expensive than usual). The marketing schtick is 'have your family's big Xmas dinner without the stress of all the cooking and washing up'. Meanwhile, waiters/waitresses/kitchen staff/bar staff are slaving away on the one big holiday of the year so that people who don't want the stress of making Xmas dinner can have a nice day.

I'm not sure I'm seeing the difference between something like that and the shops being open so if you'd do one and not the other, I'd be interested to know why.

I remember, as a kid, my mom would visit a place called "Heavenly Ham" to order ham for Christmas dinner, but she'd always have it ordered and would pick it up a day in advance so the people weren't cooking on Christmas. In fact I think the place was closed on Christmas so if you didn't pick up your order before close of business Christmas Eve, you were SOL.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #189 on: November 27, 2013, 01:08:15 PM »

I tend to agree with you. That sounds like a lovely picture postcard and it would be very nice if everyone had that experience, but it's a very romanticised and rather narrow view of how other people may be spending the holiday. There must be literally millions of people in a country the size of the US who don't *have* family or friends to travel back home to see or enough money to share that meal - probably those who need the extra shifts just to keep their head above water.

That of course doesn't mean that those who do should be deprived of a day off under threat of being fired just to give other people something to do, but thinking that everyone spends - or *should* spend - the holidays the way you do is naive. Life is different for everyone.

To quote Puddleglum....

“One word, Ma'am," he said, coming back from the fire; limping, because of the pain. "One word. All you've been saying is quite right, I shouldn't wonder. I'm a chap who always liked to know the worst and then put the best face I can on it. So I won't deny any of what you said. But there's one more thing to be said, even so. Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all those things-trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made-up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones. Suppose this black pit of a kingdom of yours is the only world. Well, it strikes me as a pretty poor one. And that's a funny thing, when you come to think of it. We're just babies making up a game, if you're right. But four babies playing a game can make a play-world which licks your real world hollow. That's why I'm going to stand by the play world. I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia. So, thanking you kindly for our supper, if these two gentlemen and the young lady are ready, we're leaving your court at once and setting out in the dark to spend our lives looking for Overland. Not that our lives will be very long, I should think; but that's a small loss if the world's as dull a place as you say.”
― C.S. Lewis, The Silver Chair

My parents spent many years prepping and serving Thanksgiving dinner to the homeless in the Seattle area.   As for us, I have lost count of the many Thanksgivings spent with lonely college students, single adults and other families with no family nearby.   One year the DH even brought home a total stranger from the airport who had missed his flight and was stuck in the terminal for hours.   So, I will continue to live like a Narnian even if there is no Narnia.  And I'll do it regardless of how "naive" and "narrow" you believe me to be.   

TheaterDiva1

« Reply #190 on: November 27, 2013, 01:30:09 PM »
I saw this article and thought of this thread:

http://www.allproudamericans.com/I-Was-Fired-For-Defending-Thanksgiving.html

Basically, a Pizza Hut manager was fired because he refused to open his store on Thanksgiving day.

Thoughts/comments???

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #191 on: November 27, 2013, 01:34:43 PM »

In the UK we have lots of carvery type places and many of those are open for Christmas day (you have to book in advance and it's a great deal more expensive than usual). 

Yes, and my mom and I have gone out on Thanksgiving. When it was just going to be the two of us, and neither one a. is really into the whole traditional turkey day dinner, and b. wasn't in the mood to cook, clean up etc. for just us two.

I think for me, the difference is restuarnts have always been open on Thanksgiving, not all, but many, and as they are in the "service" industry, its kind of expected that many are, and many folks go out rather than cooking. You could even say its tradition to go out for certain holidays; Thanksgiving, Easter etc.

As far as retail stores being open, that's only been in the last 5-10(?) or however many years, as retailers realize they can capitalize on people who want to come and shop ON Thanksgiving, rather than waiting until the "traditional" black friday shopping day. I know growing up, stores were never ever open on holidays, maybe the grocery store, but only for a few hours, and then that was it. You never had them open on Thanksgiving, Easter etc.  Those were times to be spent with family....but now they aren't, for many who have to work on these days.

perpetua

« Reply #192 on: November 27, 2013, 01:43:30 PM »

To quote Puddleglum....

“One word, Ma'am," he said, coming back from the fire; limping, because of the pain. "One word. All you've been saying is quite right, I shouldn't wonder. I'm a chap who always liked to know the worst and then put the best face I can on it. So I won't deny any of what you said. But there's one more thing to be said, even so. Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all those things-trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made-up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones. Suppose this black pit of a kingdom of yours is the only world. Well, it strikes me as a pretty poor one. And that's a funny thing, when you come to think of it. We're just babies making up a game, if you're right. But four babies playing a game can make a play-world which licks your real world hollow. That's why I'm going to stand by the play world. I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia. So, thanking you kindly for our supper, if these two gentlemen and the young lady are ready, we're leaving your court at once and setting out in the dark to spend our lives looking for Overland. Not that our lives will be very long, I should think; but that's a small loss if the world's as dull a place as you say.”
― C.S. Lewis, The Silver Chair

My parents spent many years prepping and serving Thanksgiving dinner to the homeless in the Seattle area.   As for us, I have lost count of the many Thanksgivings spent with lonely college students, single adults and other families with no family nearby.   One year the DH even brought home a total stranger from the airport who had missed his flight and was stuck in the terminal for hours.   So, I will continue to live like a Narnian even if there is no Narnia.  And I'll do it regardless of how "naive" and "narrow" you believe me to be.

I think we're misunderstanding each other, because that isn't what I said at all and I certainly didn't say or think that you personally were narrow or naive. What I actually said was that expecting that everyone should celebrate the holiday as you do (you general, not you specifically), in specific reference the previous statement that stores etc *shouldn't* be open, etc,  is a somewhat narrow viewpoint of how others may be spending (or may wish to spend) that particular day.

FWIW, I think the kind of Thanksgiving that you describe, with everyone choosing to come together with friends and family, sounds great, and I wish we had something like that here - I've always thought that it sounds like a rather lovely holiday. We have an American gent in our circle of friends who's been quite ill recently and is unable to travel home to the States for Thanksgiving this year as a result, so we're having a Thanksgiving celebration here for him instead. Although I have no idea what it entails, he's guiding us all and I'm really looking forward to it.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #193 on: November 27, 2013, 01:51:32 PM »
FWIW, I think the kind of Thanksgiving that you describe, with everyone choosing to come together with friends and family, sounds great, and I wish we had something like that here - I've always thought that it sounds like a rather lovely holiday. We have an American gent in our circle of friends who's been quite ill recently and is unable to travel home to the States for Thanksgiving this year as a result, so we're having a Thanksgiving celebration here for him instead. Although I have no idea what it entails, he's guiding us all and I'm really looking forward to it.

It entails food. So very much food. And for some reason we eat dinner at 3pm on Thanksgiving. No one seems to know why (I say this knowing someone here knows why and will tell us) but we do.

One of my English friends often partakes in Thanksgiving with us, she's lived in the states for four years, has had 3 Thanksgivings and still every year is amazed at how much food there always is. She loves it, but this year will be working (at an art gallery, she volunteered and is excited), so might pop over later for some dessert but won't be here for the actual meal. Though in general she's always amazed at the sheer amount of food my family always seems to have. We're pretty sure everyone around us is starving to death. And we will eradicate it ourselves come hell or high water.

perpetua

« Reply #194 on: November 27, 2013, 01:55:49 PM »

It entails food. So very much food. And for some reason we eat dinner at 3pm on Thanksgiving. No one seems to know why (I say this knowing someone here knows why and will tell us) but we do.

Oh yes, this much I've figured out. The organiser has a spreadsheet of who's bringing what. It's being run like a military operation. And there are 23 of us. It'll be enough food to feed a small town, I think.

For some reason 3pm seems to be the standard time for Xmas dinner here, too. I always figured it was so people could listen to Her Maj while tucking in - she's on at 3 every year, gawd bless 'er.