87 (24.4%)
Outrageous!  Some holidays should be sacred
210 (58.8%)
Undecided
1 (0.3%)
Other
19 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 357

Author Topic: Retailers Opening on Thanksgiving Day  (Read 18561 times)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
Re: Retailers Opening on Thanksgiving Day
« Reply #195 on: November 27, 2013, 02:11:51 PM »
I saw this article and thought of this thread:

http://www.allproudamericans.com/I-Was-Fired-For-Defending-Thanksgiving.html

Basically, a Pizza Hut manager was fired because he refused to open his store on Thanksgiving day.

Thoughts/comments???
Another good reason to boycott Pizza Hut. Not that I needed one more I have plenty. I go to local place -  Fuzzy's (I know bad name for a restaurant but great food) if I want pizza.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Betelnut

« Reply #196 on: November 27, 2013, 02:13:44 PM »
Let's not get Thanksgiving openings confused with Black Friday.  Black Friday is a "normal" business day--lots, if not all, businesses are open regular hours.  (I realize that Black Friday hours can be outrageously lengthened but some people are expressing outrage at the notion of Black Friday itself.)

As for myself, I can understand why restaurants/gas stations/hotels are open--Thanksgiving is a huge travel holiday. 

That said, I agree--there is no reason Target, Walmart, etc. "need" to be open on Thanksgiving Day.  Is it possible that Walmart is the only grocery store in the area for some places?

Oh!  EHelldame--your posts are the reason we need karma on this site!  +1
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Possum

« Reply #197 on: November 27, 2013, 05:40:38 PM »
I can't say I'm outraged, nor am I sure which meaning of "sacred" is being used, but I do think it's silly to open stores on Thanksgiving.  I know how incredibly important this sales burst is to retailers, and how competitive it is, but we need to draw some lines.  Employees deserve to be with their families if they wish on their most important holidays.

Betelnut

« Reply #198 on: November 27, 2013, 07:02:04 PM »
Just got back from eating at Taco Bell.  The sign on the door said they would be closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas Day!  I told the manager that I appreciated them closing on those days for their employees.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #199 on: November 27, 2013, 08:06:00 PM »
Just got back from eating at Taco Bell.  The sign on the door said they would be closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas Day!  I told the manager that I appreciated them closing on those days for their employees.
I did that a couple of places today. I will be writing their corporate an e-mail saying one reason they have my business is that they allow their employees to have time with their families. 
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #200 on: November 27, 2013, 09:30:43 PM »
My nephews work at MacDonald's.  The only day of the year they are closed is Christmas Day.  They close a little early on Christmas Eve - 8:00 pm, I think.  And they still have people coming through the drive thru, trying to order food.  They are amazed at how addicted some people are to MacDonald's.

(We're in Canada so Thanksgiving is a little different.  They don't close for Thanksgiving Day, here.)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

katycoo

« Reply #201 on: November 27, 2013, 09:47:24 PM »
My nephews work at MacDonald's.  The only day of the year they are closed is Christmas Day.  They close a little early on Christmas Eve - 8:00 pm, I think.  And they still have people coming through the drive thru, trying to order food.  They are amazed at how addicted some people are to MacDonald's.

(We're in Canada so Thanksgiving is a little different.  They don't close for Thanksgiving Day, here.)

Not having other plans for a meal on Christmas doesn't make people addicted to McDonalds.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #202 on: November 27, 2013, 10:05:51 PM »

Not having other plans for a meal on Christmas doesn't make people addicted to McDonalds.

This. I remember once going to a Jack in the Box on Christmas because something had gone wrong with the family meal (can't remember what). It wasn't a craving for JitB in particular, just they were the only place in town that was open.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #203 on: November 27, 2013, 10:08:32 PM »

These were regular customers that they see at least weekly, if not daily, who were getting irate that they had the nerve to close for one day.  It wasn't a case of not having a Christmas meal.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

katycoo

« Reply #204 on: November 27, 2013, 10:49:58 PM »

These were regular customers that they see at least weekly, if not daily, who were getting irate that they had the nerve to close for one day.  It wasn't a case of not having a Christmas meal.

Nevertheless, it remains an assumption.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #205 on: November 28, 2013, 12:04:03 AM »
The pizza thing strikes home. When I was a teen  an elderly relative who lived about 5 hours away died. Because of the timing her family decided to have the funeral on Thanksgiving. Her immediate family had already arranged to travel home for the holiday,  they already had the time off...

My parents decided to go but thought the trip there, funeral and trip home would be too much for us - especially the younger siblings.  They had us stay home, the older kids babysitting the younger two. We watched movies on the vcr and got a pizza. Considering the fact that it involved a death and not being all together it was probably one of the bestThanksgivings you could expect.

People might be away from home and in need of some sort of purchased meal because of illness or death.

Sneezy

« Reply #206 on: November 28, 2013, 12:07:34 AM »
When I worked in the service industry, retail service workers sort of had a choice when it came to working those days. If you worked at Denny's, the movie theater, the truck stop, or the gas station, you worked Thanksgiving and Christmas. If you applied to work anywhere else in town,  like the mall or the local pasta restaurant, you didn't work those days. Even, you chose to apply at a place that was open those days, they usually would take volunteers to work the holiday first. Now, any job that involves the general public comes with a near certainty that you'll work on those days and no additional compensation so you can't really choose to take a job where you don't work those days if you work in those industries. Even with the limitations before, there was at least one place open where one could do most of what someone would need, just on a far more limited basis.  Now, it's expected to be business as usual everywhere. I don't know how necessary that really is.

The times I had to work on those days, the vast majority of customers were very nice and happy that someone was working there. Now, it's an expectation and the workers are seen as entitled to want that time off. There was the occasional person who had the attitude of "Well, I always worked these days so I don't see what the big deal is working today" but it wasn't as common. I remember on customer who would preemptively say that when seated when I was a waitress every single holiday in response to "Welcome to ____, what can I get you to drink?" It puzzled me, since it's not like I said, "Welcome to ____, where I have to work the holiday!" Just because I had to work the holiday didn't mean I wanted everyone else doing so.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #207 on: November 28, 2013, 02:15:57 AM »

2. because the workers who are running these stores are being treated poorly.

I don't shop Thanksgiving evening or on Black Friday because of this.

I do, however frequent a local grocery that is open Thanksgiving and Christmas mornings as a service to the neighborhood.  The owner and his family open the store in the morning - all employees are given those days off with pay.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #208 on: November 28, 2013, 08:41:32 AM »
Are places open for Thanksgiving Dinner? Has anyone ever thought 'Let's book at (wherever) for dinner this year instead of cooking' ?

In the UK we have lots of carvery type places and many of those are open for Christmas day (you have to book in advance and it's a great deal more expensive than usual). 
I'm not sure I'm seeing the difference between something like that and the shops being open so if you'd do one and not the other, I'd be interested to know why.

Yes, and my mom and I have gone out on Thanksgiving. When it was just going to be the two of us, and neither one a. is really into the whole traditional turkey day dinner, and b. wasn't in the mood to cook, clean up etc. for just us two.

I think for me, the difference is restuarnts have always been open on Thanksgiving, not all, but many, and as they are in the "service" industry, its kind of expected that many are, and many folks go out rather than cooking. You could even say its tradition to go out for certain holidays; Thanksgiving, Easter etc.

As far as retail stores being open, that's only been in the last 5-10(?) or however many years, as retailers realize they can capitalize on people who want to come and shop ON Thanksgiving, rather than waiting until the "traditional" black Friday shopping day. I know growing up, stores were never ever open on holidays, maybe the grocery store, but only for a few hours, and then that was it. You never had them open on Thanksgiving, Easter etc.  Those were times to be spent with family....but now they aren't, for many who have to work on these days.

Also for restaurant workers I presume they make considerable more money on Thanksgiving. I've been out to eat on Thanksgiving the restaurants close early and there is a 18% automatic tip (at least at the places I've been)since it was a holiday I always tipped  another $20 on top of that I can't believe I was the only one.  It's also mostly the  middle high -higher end restaurants that are open , So they are staffed more by true  career restaurant workers.

To my knowledge .... restaurant workers wont be asked to be there at 4 am Friday or to work the next 30 days without a day off or be sent home without pay(the full 8 hours pay) after working 2-4 hours of a 8 hour shift. They'll (sent home worker) probable still have to pay their babysitter if they have one and its too late then to invite people over maybe someone will let them come last minute. Speaking of last minute 1-3 weeks notice isn't really sufficient that a Holiday is a mandatory work day.  So while Friday is a  normal businesses days the extreme extend hours that retail is subjected to does effect my opinion.

Without getting into the politics of minimum wage I think we can all agree no one can live independently on minimum wage ,most of the calculation I've seen put the minimum to live on wage at a little more then double or 86 hours a week. The average wage for retail sales people is $10.50 (not including car sales people, insurance and a few other classes that make considerably more) cashiers is $9.75 ish that's includes the high end stores like Cartier and grocery cashiers who've been there for 30 years. 

Doctors , police , tax accounts even high end retail workers are choosing their careers with the knowledge they will work either many holidays or many consecutive days with long hours or both. To my knowledge none of those careers must work 5 of the 6 major US holidays and none do it for$7.65 -$10 a hour. 

For me it comes down to........"How we treat the least of us." 

I don't have enough knowledge of movie workers to have an opinion about them.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 08:59:11 AM by shhh its me »

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #209 on: November 28, 2013, 08:51:28 AM »
To my knowledge .... restaurant workers wont be asked to be there at 4 am Friday or to work the next 30 days without a day off or be sent home without pay(the full 8 hours pay) after working 2-4 hours of a 8 hour shift. They'll probable still have to pay their babysitter if they have one and its too late then to invite people over maybe someone will let them come last minute. Speaking of last minute 1-3 weeks notice int really sufficient that a Holiday is a mandatory work day.  So while Friday is a  normal businesses days the extreme extend hours that retail is subjected to does effect my opinion.

This is a good point.  I think I would be less bothered by a retail store that was open its regular hours on a holiday than ones that have these crazy extended hours that result in the crazy line-ups and in some cases, even crazier customers.  Restaurants and movie theatres would be open more like their regular hours, unless there was also a midnight premiere on at a movie theatre.  So while those employees are expected to work, they aren't having to work above and beyond their normal hours.
Ontario