87 (24.4%)
Outrageous!  Some holidays should be sacred
210 (58.8%)
Undecided
1 (0.3%)
Other
19 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 357

Author Topic: Retailers Opening on Thanksgiving Day  (Read 18158 times)

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
Re: Retailers Opening on Thanksgiving Day
« Reply #210 on: November 28, 2013, 09:16:09 AM »
One of the things about the crazy hours - many of these indoor and outlet stores have leases that stipulate a store must open during mall hours or pay a fine. So if the mall opens at 10pm and stays open all night,   Carter's can either open too, and make money or they can stay closed and in many cases pay a hefty fine.

That wouldn't be a factor in the decision making for Wal-Mart but for a lot of clothing stores and the like it probably plays a role.

So far I think there is only one mall open on Thanksgiving in my area.  It's true that all the stores must be open the hours the malls dictate or pay a fine.  The malls often release those hours with a month or less notice and generally it seems to match when a set % of the malls anchor stores are open.  The anchor stores are the large department stores in many malls so the JC Penny's, Sears , Macy's,  Nordstroms.  Walmart's , Khol's and Best buy don't seem to effect the hours of the other stores in their shared plazas , that I can tell. 

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #211 on: November 28, 2013, 09:20:19 AM »
Somehow removed my own comment. Many of the stores in malls have leases stipulating they must pay a fine if they choose to stay closed during mall hours.  So if the mall opens at midnight and stays open,  a store might be given the choice of opening too  (and making money) or staying closed and paying a significant fine.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #212 on: November 28, 2013, 02:47:57 PM »
I saw this article and thought of this thread:

http://www.allproudamericans.com/I-Was-Fired-For-Defending-Thanksgiving.html

Basically, a Pizza Hut manager was fired because he refused to open his store on Thanksgiving day.

Thoughts/comments???

The owner got his butt kicked by the public, and has rehired the manager.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #213 on: November 28, 2013, 08:50:54 PM »
Saw one person on fbook who works at Target and she's actually excited about working tonight and says she's really never experienced any unpleasantness at her store at least for Black Friday and didn't mind coming in tonight at 8.

My main reason for not wanting to shop today though is I just wouldn't want to get out of my pj's and get dressed after eating like I do on Tgiving, but to each their own!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

MissRose

« Reply #214 on: November 29, 2013, 11:03:05 AM »
I have worked in technical support in some way for 10 years+ for an internet provider.  Even on holidays, we have some staff on each shift even if there are not as many people there compared to a normal work day.   Most holiday days are decently quiet, we get paid extra, and certain holidays we may even have potlucks or someone may barbecue meat etc.

For a while, my mother pushed me to work EVERY holiday so that those with kids could have the day off.  I grew a spine, and do not work EVERY holiday but work some, and she does not need to know.  I  do have a family even if I do not have a spouse and/or kids!

White Lotus

« Reply #215 on: November 29, 2013, 01:53:25 PM »
I don't like the Commercial Christmas Greed-fest that retailers are trying to extend to Hanukkah, and will probably eventually try to extend to our holiday, New Year's.  We do not participate because, as Buddhists, we think it disrespectful to celebrate some watered-down secular version of someone else's religious holiday.  We love our holidays, and particularly like TG because of the fun four day weekend.  For us, that does not and never would include shopping.  I am very opposed to making people who do not have to work do so.  We have relatives in truly essential jobs who volunteer (as do many Jews) to work Christmas Eve and Day so those who celebrate those holidays can do so.  If they work TG, we work around their schedules.  But, please, no more greed, and no more shopping.  If we forget something in the culinary line, we figure it out. But we don't shop.  Let my people go....HOME!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #216 on: November 29, 2013, 06:24:30 PM »
Sadly, according to some news reports I heard this morning sales revenues for Thanksgiving Day are up 40% over last year, so this is not likely to go away.

Amara

« Reply #217 on: November 29, 2013, 07:04:47 PM »
I was out by and so stopped in Bed, Bath & Beyond. Until noon they were handing out their 20 percent off coupon for your entire order. I didn't really want anything but casually looked around (and did end up with a much-need bath rug for the guest bathroom). But I had an opportunity to chat for about five minutes with a manager who told me they had worked until 1:00 am Thursday getting ready for Friday, then had to open at 6:00 am today. I asked him if they were crowded at 6:00. Nope, in fact it was quite dead though by the time I got there, around 11:45, it was lively though the lines at the register were quite short. Michael's on the other hand made me turn and walk out.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #218 on: November 29, 2013, 10:46:39 PM »
After leaving Thanksgiving dinner around 3 PM, I had seen a huge line in the Best Buy parking lot. No thank you. 

Clockwork Banana

« Reply #219 on: November 29, 2013, 11:58:29 PM »
Another Canadian perspective here.

My preference would be for retail outlets not to be open on statutory holidays such as Thanksgiving.  Mainly because it seems to add to the 'specialness' of the day when the immediate world shuts down and one has the opportunity to close in upon oneself and re-group, either with or without family.

However, what came first?  The chicken or the egg?  Are the stores opening to create consumer demand, or did consumer demand cause the stores to open?

I remember when Sunday shopping was becoming an issue.  Limited opening was starting to be permitted, but only in designated tourist areas.  But even before that, retailers. both large and small, were beginning to flout the law and open their doors.  They would then be fined sometimes thousands of dollars, which they would pay and then open right up the following Sunday.  The profits they were making well exceeded the fines, and it almost became just another cost of doing business.  This still happens on stat holidays, where if you are not in a designated area, you cannot legally open.  Some retailers still do, and still incur the fines.

If I remember correctly, somebody upthread put forth the thought that if July 4th (your Independence Day) was in a different season, then lifeguards would not be considered essential workers and could have the day off.  But if July 4th was actually February 4th, then would that not make ski-lift operators, or more accurately rescue teams, become the essential staff?

I do agree completely that the exploitation of part-time workers forced to work without additional compensation is morally and should be legally unsupportable.  Here, the laws vary province to province, but on the whole they are pretty stringent on making sure that workers get premium pay or time in lieu for working on a Stat. 

Betelnut

« Reply #220 on: November 30, 2013, 12:41:45 PM »
After leaving Thanksgiving dinner around 3 PM, I had seen a huge line in the Best Buy parking lot. No thank you.

Me too.  But I did see a lot of empty parking lots too so that's good.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #221 on: November 30, 2013, 03:02:27 PM »
I saw very few people with shopping bags on the street or in the subway.  A few people with groceries, but that was it.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #222 on: November 30, 2013, 03:51:19 PM »
The local outlet mall was bust from Thursday night until they closed Friday night.

Maxiestar

« Reply #223 on: November 30, 2013, 08:40:26 PM »
I went to a popular shopping mall at the north part of town yesterday. It was quite busy, but crowds varied from store to store. At Michael's, it was packed, and the line was long, but it looked like they kept it moving fast. At Old Navy, there was a small line of people outside waiting to get in. Target was crazy packed in the electronics department.

I went to another mall today, crowds weren't too bad. Black Friday was much quieter here compared to others I heard on the news. I am curious as to how this shopping strategy goes. Especially in years when the gap between the holidays is longer.

Amara

« Reply #224 on: November 30, 2013, 09:36:54 PM »
I am currently over at the CustomersSuck forum reading a couple of threads about Thanksgiving and Black Friday sales. There is, not surprisingly, a fair amount of *language*. But my jaw dropped open at this post, which except for one word I changed is as written:

I really hate my job at the Mart of Wal at the best of times....last night wasn't the best of times. Our Brown Thursday sales started with a bang. HUGE crowds, items running out of stock long before the one hour guarantee was anywhere close to over. We had a man pull a gun on an associate for an IPAD, two women were buying the lovely cheap a** towels and there was one set left that they both wanted, the one lady threw bleach in the others face for it! We had a small fire and a fight broke out over a guys dollar bill that fell to the floor, was picked up and pocketed by another guy and when the first man wanted it back a fist fight broke out over it!

And, that, fellow eHellions, is what all the hype can produce. Sickening.