87 (24.4%)
Outrageous!  Some holidays should be sacred
210 (58.8%)
Undecided
1 (0.3%)
Other
19 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 357

Author Topic: Retailers Opening on Thanksgiving Day  (Read 19476 times)

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
Re: Retailers Opening on Thanksgiving Day
« Reply #225 on: November 30, 2013, 09:49:51 PM »
I would guess that has a lot to do with where the Wal-Mart is located.  Quite frankly,  there are some communities where that kind of activity is more common even on a normal day. The two Chuck E. Cheese locations nearest me have a reputation for violence - people getting injured and arrested pretty regularly.  If that is how people behave at a kid-centric pizza place,  you can just imagine what happens at Wal-Mart. Of course, any time you have increased number of people there is also increased potential for strife but that would happen no matter what day you had a big sale.

SoCalVal

« Reply #226 on: November 30, 2013, 10:20:07 PM »
I would guess that has a lot to do with where the Wal-Mart is located.

Not necessarily.  I came to that conclusion last year when I heard about the Wal-Mart pepper spray incident last year that was in the area where I grew up.  I thought it was the one in the really bad neighborhood then learned it was actually the one in the land of those with a bit of money (Porter Ranch, the nicest neighborhood in which I've ever lived).  I was really surprised.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #227 on: November 30, 2013, 11:37:57 PM »
Another Canadian perspective here.

My preference would be for retail outlets not to be open on statutory holidays such as Thanksgiving.  Mainly because it seems to add to the 'specialness' of the day when the immediate world shuts down and one has the opportunity to close in upon oneself and re-group, either with or without family.

However, what came first?  The chicken or the egg?  Are the stores opening to create consumer demand, or did consumer demand cause the stores to open?

I remember when Sunday shopping was becoming an issue.  Limited opening was starting to be permitted, but only in designated tourist areas.  But even before that, retailers. both large and small, were beginning to flout the law and open their doors.  They would then be fined sometimes thousands of dollars, which they would pay and then open right up the following Sunday.  The profits they were making well exceeded the fines, and it almost became just another cost of doing business.  This still happens on stat holidays, where if you are not in a designated area, you cannot legally open.  Some retailers still do, and still incur the fines.

If I remember correctly, somebody upthread put forth the thought that if July 4th (your Independence Day) was in a different season, then lifeguards would not be considered essential workers and could have the day off.  But if July 4th was actually February 4th, then would that not make ski-lift operators, or more accurately rescue teams, become the essential staff?

I do agree completely that the exploitation of part-time workers forced to work without additional compensation is morally and should be legally unsupportable.  Here, the laws vary province to province, but on the whole they are pretty stringent on making sure that workers get premium pay or time in lieu for working on a Stat.

I too am Canadian.  And it's hard to compare Canada with the US Thanksgiving.  Even though our "official" Thanksgiving is on the second Monday in October - IME the majority of families have their dinner on the Sunday.  It's often more convenient, and if most of the celebrants have the Monday off, it makes cleanup a bit easier.  But overall - it just isn't as big a celebration as it is in the US.  For example, you don't generally have people flying in from several hours away to spend Thanksgiving with relatives.  I'm not saying that it never happens, just that it's not routine.

And ever since Sunday shopping became fairly routine in many areas, shopping on statutory holidays has also become routine - Thanksgiving Sunday/Monday are included.  Ironically, Sunday shopping was lawful in the US state closest to me,  many years before it became allowed in my area.

mmswm

« Reply #228 on: December 01, 2013, 02:03:59 AM »
I am currently over at the CustomersSuck forum reading a couple of threads about Thanksgiving and Black Friday sales. There is, not surprisingly, a fair amount of *language*. But my jaw dropped open at this post, which except for one word I changed is as written:

I really hate my job at the Mart of Wal at the best of times....last night wasn't the best of times. Our Brown Thursday sales started with a bang. HUGE crowds, items running out of stock long before the one hour guarantee was anywhere close to over. We had a man pull a gun on an associate for an IPAD, two women were buying the lovely cheap a** towels and there was one set left that they both wanted, the one lady threw bleach in the others face for it! We had a small fire and a fight broke out over a guys dollar bill that fell to the floor, was picked up and pocketed by another guy and when the first man wanted it back a fist fight broke out over it!

And, that, fellow eHellions, is what all the hype can produce. Sickening.

On the other hand, and from the same thread as the one quoted, there's this:

I could not have asked for better Thanksgiving and Black Friday shifts!

Thursday started out slow but started to crank big time after a couple hours, and I made stupid money. It died down right about when the second bartender came in. Bonus for me was that, due to weather, they closed the roof deck, and the bartender that was scheduled to work up there was put on the main bar, enabling me to be done by 5:30, several hours earlie than I expected to be done. Which enabled me to watch most of the Raiders-Cowboys game, which was cool. Well, until the Raiders decided once again to not show up for the second half. But at least I got to watch them melt down with a beer in hand, rather than serving it!

Also, the kitchen put out a holiday buffet just for the staff (it was upstairs, which was closed to the public, so no cheapa** poachers!), and it was delicious. I brought in my homemade tropical cranberry sauce, which everyone agreed was better than the stuff the kitchen out out. Not all that tough, since it was canned. 

Also, lots of cool customers who tipped well, unlike Tuesday, so I made good money. Total win.

Friday was much of the same, just cranking it all day, finally finishing up when the third bartender came in at 7. High sales, good tips, great customers, good money. Yay me.

This particular person is somebody I know personally, and he's not blowing smoke.  He really doesn't mind working holidays.  I went searching for something else this same person said on his personal Facebook page, but he posts a LOT and I couldn't find it. The general gist is what others have said about many, many other people working on holidays, and not just the "essential" people one might expect.  One example that comes to mind is truck drivers.  I spent TG evening hanging out on a discussion forum for drivers, raising cain with a bunch of drivers stopped overnight at various truck stops across the country. Some people honestly don't mind, or even enjoy working these shifts and others are upset by it. Given the diversity of this country, I don't think we're ever going to come to a consensus. 

Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

bonyk

« Reply #229 on: December 01, 2013, 07:39:21 AM »
I am currently over at the CustomersSuck forum reading a couple of threads about Thanksgiving and Black Friday sales. There is, not surprisingly, a fair amount of *language*. But my jaw dropped open at this post, which except for one word I changed is as written:

I really hate my job at the Mart of Wal at the best of times....last night wasn't the best of times. Our Brown Thursday sales started with a bang. HUGE crowds, items running out of stock long before the one hour guarantee was anywhere close to over. We had a man pull a gun on an associate for an IPAD, two women were buying the lovely cheap a** towels and there was one set left that they both wanted, the one lady threw bleach in the others face for it! We had a small fire and a fight broke out over a guys dollar bill that fell to the floor, was picked up and pocketed by another guy and when the first man wanted it back a fist fight broke out over it!

I don't think you can blame their behavior on the hype.  Millions of people were exposed to the same hype and did not draw firearms or splash bleach on anyone.  IMO, people like that are looking for an excuse to exercise their aggression.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #230 on: December 01, 2013, 08:00:04 AM »
True, but I don't recall stuff like this happening ten years ago before these crazy hours and one-hour sales.  Although the Cabbage Patch doll thing from the late 80s with people willing to pay $1500 for the last one available was just as insane.

MissRose

« Reply #231 on: December 02, 2013, 08:42:30 AM »
After leaving Thanksgiving dinner around 3 PM, I had seen a huge line in the Best Buy parking lot. No thank you.

Me too.  But I did see a lot of empty parking lots too so that's good.

I saw a lot of cars in the various stores and mall parking lots on the way to work Friday morning.  At least I do not work retail as I would not be able to handle it this time of year.  I commend those who do and do not lose their cool regarding Snowflake customers.

Niamh84

« Reply #232 on: December 02, 2013, 08:54:20 AM »

We don't have Thanksgiving in Ireland but retailers are under increasing pressure to open throughout Christmas time and I don't agree with it but that's because my dad works in retail and it's hard watching him work himself ragged every day for two months.  It used to be that shops weren't open on a Sunday but they all are now.  They would also be closed on Christmas day and St. Stephen's day but they all open on St. Stephen's Day now so my dad works every single day from 25 November to 24 December inclusive and then 26 December to around late January without a single day off.  I just feel really sorry for him and dread the day that shops start to open on Christmas Day as I have no doubt it'll happen at some stage, here's hoping he's retired by then.

Here our labor laws would prevent you from being rostered that many days in a row without a break.

Sorry I should have been clearer.  My dad is self employed.  His shop's staff would, of course, have their usual days off every week.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #233 on: December 02, 2013, 10:27:56 AM »

I'm actually surprised, with that much drama, that the incident didn't make any news that I saw. It's possible that it did happen, and I did hear of some different dramatic incidents at various stores, but it's also important to keep in mind that CS, like any forum, does sometimes contain fiction.  ;)

Betelnut

« Reply #234 on: December 02, 2013, 10:31:44 AM »
I think the bleach story would be in the news but it isn't.  It might be fake. 
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #235 on: December 02, 2013, 10:35:43 AM »
I think the bleach story would be in the news but it isn't.  It might be fake.

If the bleach attack and the associate at gunpoint were at the same store, I'd be shocked if it didn't make national news. The Kohl's parking lot altercation (which was a shoplifting incident, not regular shopping) was all over the media.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #236 on: December 02, 2013, 11:00:02 AM »
I managed to not shop on Thursday, didn't even need to resist temptation. Though I almost sent Partner out because we ran out of coffee creamer, but then BFF had some he was willing to share, so crisis averted (in this house it is a crisis). We watched the parade, ate food, and then went and saw Thor. Which, 1) awesome, and 2) the theater was dead. I figured between Catching Fire and that animated movie...Frost(?), there'd be some crowds with families with little ones at least. But nope, whole place was dead. There were four groups of people in the theater (counting our group), I was really surprised. In the past theaters have been packed on holidays.

Day after I got up at 3:15am, got ready and went out to shop! And it was dead! I mean, dead dead. There were a few things I wanted to get that weren't in stock anymore. Do you know what I did? I said "Oh well, thanks for your help" and moved on with my life. Which is how people should react. It's just stuff. It's not that important. If I really wanted it, I'd drive to one of the other stores and see if they had it.

I will say all the employees were super friendly and helpful. And I was home by noon (would've been sooner but we needed food).
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 11:05:35 AM by GlitterIsMyDrug »

Peppergirl

« Reply #237 on: December 02, 2013, 06:33:14 PM »

I'm actually surprised, with that much drama, that the incident didn't make any news that I saw. It's possible that it did happen, and I did hear of some different dramatic incidents at various stores, but it's also important to keep in mind that CS, like any forum, does sometimes contain fiction.  ;)

As a mod there, I'm sorry to report we do have quite a few tale tale tellers. :(

Vast majority of community is wonderful, but we do have a few members whose stories always  induce much eye rolling.

Amara

« Reply #238 on: December 02, 2013, 07:03:45 PM »
As a mod there, I'm sorry to report we do have quite a few tale tale tellers. :(

Vast majority of community is wonderful, but we do have a few members whose stories always  induce much eye rolling.

Color me embarrassed then. :-[ I should have wondered about that, but I didn't because I don't follow any news. I just thought I missed it.

Peppergirl, my favorite poster there is Argabarga. He tells wonderful stories. I hope they are all true. And I hope that some day he takes his writing skills and writes a book about those stories. I'd buy it!

Peppergirl

« Reply #239 on: December 02, 2013, 07:12:21 PM »
^ Oh, don't be. I wasn't referring to this story...just in general.

Arga is awesome. Very low key and definitely genuine. :)